Options
1235»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    shejuicy wrote: »
    The syrup in that picture is actually caramel. Banana fosters french toast drowned in caramel.. Sigh. I frickin love sugar. Lol.

Not helping with my 'issue'.. ;)

Yeah, it just moved a little when I read that.
  • shejuicy
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    shejuicy wrote: »
    The syrup in that picture is actually caramel. Banana fosters french toast drowned in caramel.. Sigh. I frickin love sugar. Lol.

Not helping with my 'issue'.. ;)

lol :#
  • shejuicy
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »

The thing with those types of posts are.. I don't believe someone who has struggled with a majority-sugar diet has written it. The tips seem generic. Whenever I go even a day without sweets I get irritable and a headache. Advice on getting through that is the type of post I need...

Apart from that, myfitnesspal looks like it's chockfull of information on how much protein and carbs and macronutrients and reps and sets and all other glorious things you would want to know.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you were asked because you chimed in and tried to answer for the other poster...

I wasn't trying to answer for their eating habits, just pointing out that the other person had actually listed vegetables right in their post. That somehow turned into a debate that I wasn't really trying to get into at all.

Seems to happen a lot here.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

So you don't eat fruits or vegetables?

They said right in their comment that they eat vegetables, and even listed some.

For me, I found gradually reducing carb-laden things and inputting more protein and healthy fats was helpful, and now I am on a low-carb regime. I get lots of veggies - spinach, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, asparagus, etc - small amounts of fruit, and protein and healthy fats. The carb cravings are gone and I'm working on being less reliant on sweeteners, too :smile:
    So then how exactly would someone go about only eating 5g of sugar while eating a decent amount of fruits and vegetables?

Poster said vegetables. A lot of vegetables are low carb. My salad I eat everyday, for example, has only 2 grams of sugar. Some low carbers go for net carbs, so if total carbs in the salad were 4, with 2 of those grams being fiber, only the 2 grams of sugar would count towards one's carb count for the day. Low carbers do not eat fruit, and only eat a few servings of vegetables. Obligatory smiley face :)
  • Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cut milk out and get on the unsweetened almond schtuff. If you cut sugar drastically, you're probably going to have withdrawls and possible headaches. Good news is, your body gets used to it quickly. Keep an eye on labels, it's amazing where it's hiding.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that I don't eat a well balanced diet (although my diet could use some improvement).

I'm saying that Atkins, or low carb diets would probably not meet your criteria for a balanced diet, if your balanced diet included whole grains and fruits.

Whether or not this is proper nutrition is up for debate. There have been plenty of studies showing improvements in health for those on low carb diets.

http://phdres.caregate.net/curriculum/pdf-files/nejm2k3-2074.pdf
    Average 4kgs more lost over 6mths (more than would be explained by water weight), lower trigliceride levels, and increased insulin sensitivity in low-carb versus low-fat, low-calorie diet.

Ketogenic diets can help control epilepsy, and are being investigated for effectiveness in other neurological conditions, like Alzheimers and Huntingtons. There is no good data associating low carb with malnutrition, or poor outcomes, despite people trying to discredit low-carb since Atkin's book in 1958. Claims that ketogenesis might lead to ketoacidosis in diabetics have not been substantiated.

Low carb assists with diet compliance in the beginning, due to higher weight losses (in part due to the water lost when no carbs are stored), and the lowerering of hunger associated with ketogenesis. A diet high in protein is also very satisfying. Compliance declines at 6 months, at about the same rate that compliance declines with other diets such as flexible dieting and calorie control. Maybe everyone reaches their goal weight by then ;)

Seeing as low-carb is slightly more effective at weight loss and improving health markers, and has no proven negative health impacts, it make sense to support people using it to improve their health. It is a valid and effective choice, just not the right choice for everyone :)
  • Georgiawoollin
    Georgiawoollin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know when people say eat fruit it will satisfy your sugar cravings seems like bull *kitten* but honestly your body runs on sugar so when you crave it its your bodies way of telling you, you need it. I eat as much fruit as I want all day long and I've found that I don't crave the sugary sweets kind of sugar that is also full of fat. Just try eating some berries or a few bananas when you get a craving, it works!
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you just started, my advice is to take it slow as these forums can become overwhelming. good luck.