How many people do just calories in/calories out?

Options

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes. And the reason your other "methods" that you listed worked too is because you were eating less than you were burning.

ETA: Counting calories works but I also pay attention to nutrition. Yes, you could eat 1200 calories of chocolate and still lose weight, but you'd probably feel pretty crappy.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I do, in principal. It really is the only scientifically valid way of losing weight.

In practice I have found that as a result of trying to optimise my diet for weight loss I have changed the way I eat to make sure I still feel full but don't eat too many calories. So I eat more salads and vegetables, more fish, and more protein-rich things like cottage cheese and greek yoghurt. I eat less dressing and fewer biscuits and other things that don't fill me up but have lots of calories in.

By doing this I have reduced my sugar and fat intake and increased my protein intake, which is what many fad diets recommend. However, I have chosen which foods are on my 'banned' list, which are on my 'occasional' list and which foods I eat more of, so it doesn't feel like a fad diet and doesn't feel like someone else is making my food choices for me.

This also evolved gradually as I found that, for example, the slightly soggy shop-bought sandwiches that I was having for lunch cost me 500 calories, but if I had home-made soup it would only be 300 and I would still feel full. The gradual evolution meant that it was not so much of a shock to my body and has meant that even when I am not tracking my calories (as I wasn't during the Autumn) I still make better food choices.
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for a year. I eat all of my exercise calories back. I have my ticker set on sedentary and to lose 2 lbs a week. I usually lose about .5 lbs- 1.5 lbs a week. On average. I'm sure it's because I go over my calories most days. I have lost a total of 53 lbs this year by doing calories in and out. I also am not perfect, and forgive myself immediately. I'm a food addict, and that's why i'm overweight. Feel free to add me as a friend, anyone looking for support!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Every single diet is based on CICO just different ways of packaging it so you will buy the book, into the fad, pay membership fees

Took me 25 years of unsuccessful dieting - by which I mean it comes off but goes back on plus some to realise this

So this time I threw it all out the window ...I go to the gym for fitness goals, I wear a fitbit to track my TDEE closer and I eat fewer calories than I burn across the week

8 months in ...still working

I will always log now ...it is simple, I eat everything ...I make room for everything I love to eat and drink ...and I wear my purty new clothes with pleasure :smile:
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    That's what I do....
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yup. I figured out my TDEE and I went on a 15% deficit. I'm currently on a 10% deficit as I'm close to my goal weight.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That is all I do! Count calories - not macros or anything else... just calories.
    58369279.png
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    All the successful ones.

For real.
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    cerad2 wrote: »
    allanakern wrote: »
    that's literally the only way.
    The only way for what?

The only way to lose weight. Expend more calories than you eat. All the expensive fancy diets just make up a bunch of marketing crap to hide the fact that they are just creating a calorie deficit.
    Thanks but this thread is about calorie counting, not losing weight. Counting calories is useful in some cases but is certainly not a requirement.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Calories in and calories out seems to work for me. I follow no "diet" per se, just aim to eat some fruits and veggies and move a little. I've lost 4.7 pounds this month, so it works. And I still have bread or lattes or a frozen burrito.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Raising my hand here too.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    counted Points
    Just curious, how many of you just count calories in and out?
    Does it work for you?

Creating a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight.

Point systems used by Weight Watchers and other diets are based off of calorie counting; they just make it a little simpler for people.

• DJGigante812
    DJGigante812 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want but foods that are healthier (more protein, fiber, less sugar/simple carbs) will make hunger go away. If you're not eating foods that make your hunger go away, you will inevitably eat more food.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's what I do. The only macros I pay any attention to are protein and fiber, and that is for mostly satiety purposes and preserving lean body mass. Otherwise, I don't worry about things like sodium and cholesterol, because my BP is usually low normal, and my cholesterol levels are always optimal at my annual checks.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The only way for what?

The only way to lose weight. Expend more calories than you eat. All the expensive fancy diets just make up a bunch of marketing crap to hide the fact that they are just creating a calorie deficit.
    Thanks but this thread is about calorie counting, not losing weight. Counting calories is useful in some cases but is certainly not a requirement.

Calorie counting and calories in calories out isn't quite the same thing, though we are talking about the latter. You can count calories and still be over in calories, but if you count them, realise you're eating too much and then eat less - counting so that you DON'T eat too much - then you will lose weight. Eating less calories than you burn is absolutely a requirement for weight loss, calorie counting just helps with that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Everyone does that, whether they focus on it or not. It works for gaining, maintaining and losing your weight. It's not really a "lose weight" strategy. It's just how they introduce people to the subject of weight loss. :)

I am not currently on any special diet - nothing with a name, anyway.

I really think the easiest way to do it is not to focus on a special diet. Unless you must, take your ideas from a variety of places. Pick some that you like, incorporates them, tweak as necessary.

There is no One True Way to lose weight. Whatever works for you is the best thing! :)
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    The only way for what?

Calorie counting and calories in calories out isn't quite the same thing, though we are talking about the latter. You can count calories and still be over in calories, but if you count them, realise you're eating too much and then eat less - counting so that you DON'T eat too much - then you will lose weight. Eating less calories than you burn is absolutely a requirement for weight loss, calorie counting just helps with that.

Exactly. It doesn't matter how you create a caloric deficit, whether it's by calorie counting or otherwise, just create one!
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It is the **only** thing that works for me. I really like large volume meals, so while I count calories, I also seek out foods that I can get more volume per calorie. It ends up being a win-win. I get more food and better nutrition because I am then eating food with much better nutritional content. I will also bank calories sometimes, but not much longer than a day or so. If I know that Saturday is going to be a big day, I will cut myself back on Friday about 400-500 calories. It works FOR ME. It may not and will not work for everyone. I also eat all times of the day. Eating in the evening has never made a difference in my weight. I love a bedtime snack, and I plan for it nearly each and everyday. :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    This is my second go round at losing weight, and this time it has been much easier because I have approached it with an accountant's objectivity. Calories in, calories burned. I've been working hard to take the emotion, and pressure, out of dieting. 30 lbs down, 5 to go!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    CICO is how I do fat loss. The things I do that allow CICO for fat loss possible, or at least easier are - in order of importance:
    • Including dairy in my diet (essential for me)
    • Exercise (cardio and strength in a format that I find motivating and affordable) Intense exercise can lower hunger levels
    • Challenging my fear of hunger. I can bear it, I won't have to bear it for long, and it doesn't mean my diet has failed/I'm a failure/I'm back to being broke, hungry and abandoned at the lowest part of my life
    • Logging
    • Micros
    • Having enough protein/fiber
    • Lowering added sugars and total carbs
    • Eating protein with my carbs
    • Awareness of water weight patterns
    • Going into ketosis (don't know why this as happening, but not being hungry really helps)
    • Remembering why I want to lose weight
    • Managing stress and using constructive or optimistic self-talk
    • Staying busy (typing/crocheting/sketching fingers can't move food towards my mouth)
    • Awareness of how different foods affect me, and eating healthier
    • Having strategies for when family pushes food on me
    • Avoiding triggering situations (i.e. don't go shopping/to the food court hungry)
    • Researching restaurant menus and healthy snacks when I can't eat at home (i.e. travelling)
    • Accepting that I'm obsessing over dieting, and enjoying it (checking out forums, trying out recipes, checking out obesity, weight-loss, and fitness research, chatting with friends)
    • Challenging my fear of attention, and accepting what I lose with the weight. Isn't it weird, how being overweight has the power to make you invisible? I'm not as strong when I'm smaller, but I'm not vulnerable either.
    • Trail jogging while obese (strangers will tell you how great you are doing)
    • Success - people you know will tell you what an inspiration you are

There are many right ways to lose fat. Good luck :)