Do you have to exercise to lose weight??

Options
I don't really exercise, I can't afford a gym membership, and it's too cold to go running..

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Nope, exercise is a health benefit , and can help reshape your body and retain your muscle mass as you lose.
    Eating less is all you need to lose weight.
    Track your calories weigh your food and you will lose.
    Cheers, h.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No.

A caloric deficit is to lose weight, exercise is for health benefits.

But I highly advise you do both, at the same time. If you don't exercise while losing weight, there's a chance you'll become 'skinny fat'.

Going outside to run while it's cold isn't all that bad, once you're moving and your blood is circulating faster, it's quite warm. Just wear thin layers, and a base layer which 'wicks' the sweat.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I only recently could afford a gym membership thanks to a raise at work, before that I couldn't afford it either and I still was able to work out at home. Check out Youtube. There are several videos there you can use to guide you in a workout. Most you don't even need any equipment whatsoever. There is a also a website called Fitnessblender that you can go go to and find workout videos. No gym membership needed and you can do it in your nice warm living room. (or family room or whatever nice warm room you pick)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Diet=weight loss, exercise=fitness. That being said, there are plenty of videos on Youtube to exercise to in the comfort and warmth of your own home. Look up FitnessBlender.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nope! I've lost 10kgs ( 22lbs ) in 2mths with zero exercise.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    No. I have a bad back -- 2 operations and a fusion -- and a lower leg neurological problem. I'm physically unable to do exercises. Lost 35 lbs just with deitary restrictions.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but you should exercise for body composition (to make sure what you lose is mostly fat instead of muscle) and for health.
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No. if you are pear shaped and you lose weight through diet you'll look like a smaller pear. If you want to look like something other than a smaller pear you should exercise to change your shape. IMO fitness is about form and body composition.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, but it's a lot more fun if you do.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nope. I lost about 25 pounds of my baby weight from just sticking to a calorie deficit.

Eventually though, you will want to incorporate some strength training into your routine, to avoid looking "skinny fat" as you get closer to your goal weight.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    elias1609 wrote: »
    I don't really exercise, I can't afford a gym membership, and it's too cold to go running..

Well, I don't, technically, but I like to be able to eat a few more cals.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I think its just healthier overall to exercise. Cardio for the heart, strength for body composition and well, strength:) I like to feel fit and strong! Its a good feeling knowing that you have a fit and healthy body.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do strength training bc I love it and I get my butt on the treadmill so I can eat more food :D weight loss comes from the kitchen
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    No. There are lots of people on MFP who have lost significant weight with little or no exercise.

That being said, exercise is fun and great for your mood.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Well, I don't, technically, but I like to be able to eat a few more cals.

While you don't *need* to exercise to lose weight, I exercise so that I can eat more! :smile:

You do not need a gym membership, and you do not need to run to exercise. You can do sit-ups, push-ups, planks, jumping jacks, and other exercises at home. Just buy an exercise mat and hand weights at Target. Also, you can walk around the block a few times (I find the RunKeeper free app to be motivational). You may not need exercise to lose weight, but exercise helps you live longer.

"People who did a daily average of just 15 mins. of moderate-intensity exercise (like brisk walking) 6 times per week (total of 92 mins./week) lived an average of 3 yrs. longer than those who were inactive." http://longevity.about.com/od/healthyheartaging/a/Minimum-Exercise-For-A-Longer-Life.htm
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary, but it does help to create a deficit. Also you must bear in mind that weight loss includes muscle loss & this can be minimised with strength training, which will help to keep your deficit as high as possible (muscles metabolise)

Exercise will contribute to your overall wellbeing including physical health & if you find you are miserably eating a very measly amount of calories to maintain a deficit then you might want to exercise just so that you can eat a little more while still being in a deficit.
  • fiferjim
    fiferjim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No I've done it both ways and lost weight. Only advantage I found with exercise is my body shape changed more dramatically.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options

You choose not to, you don't need one, it's not too cold & you don't have to run anyway.

If you don't want to xcise, you don't have to. If you think you want to stop making excuses. x
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to do a minute of exercise its just ci/co
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    No. if you are pear shaped and you lose weight through diet you'll look like a smaller pear. If you want to look like something other than a smaller pear you should exercise to change your shape. IMO fitness is about form and body composition.

LMAO!

No, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. You need to exercise to get/stay healthy.