Calories amount based on weight

Options
Hello, guys!
I have a doubt: this app worked wonders for me and I'm truly grateful for that. There's one thing, though, that got me quite "constricted" in the last few weeks.
Once I reached a "normal-weight-status" (I still need a to lose a couple of kilos to reach my goal), MyFitnessPal reduced the amount per day after asking me if I wanted an "update fitness goal" due to my new weight. It started out with 1500 at the beginning and now it is 1200.
I must admit it's kind of frustrating because at first I felt safe and easy about the 1500 calories thing, due to the fact that I rarely managed to eat that much. Still, 1200 is kind of... so little to eat XD
Is it normal? Should I change something?

Every advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1200 is the lowest MFP will set anyone to and a lot of people end up there if they've set their goal to lose 2 pounds per week. If your goals are set that way (most people try for the fastest weight loss) you might try adjusting it to lose 1 pound a week and see if you feel better with that calorie goal.
  • valewhite92
    valewhite92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No, I set 750 grams per week, while for the first two months it was 500 grams per week. also I exercise every day and set those goals as well. I'm going for the "relaxing weight loss" thing xD So I really don't get it!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Your weight is lower so your calorie intake has to be lower to sustain a loss.

MFP does not account for your exercise automatically, you have to enter it then eat back 50-75% of those calories.

Cheers, h.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No, I set 750 grams per week, while for the first two months it was 500 grams per week. also I exercise every day and set those goals as well. I'm going for the "relaxing weight loss" thing xD So I really don't get it!

So you're trying to lose faster now that you're closer to goal? The opposite is usually the wise and doable course.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    As your weight goes down, your body needs fewer calories to maintain your new weight. You should also adjust your weight loss goal, your deficit it should be smaller as you get closer to your goal weight.
  • valewhite92
    valewhite92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

So you're trying to lose faster now that you're closer to goal? The opposite is usually the wise and doable course.

No, I've been exercising since the beginning, the 500 grams per week was default settings and it took me a while to realize that because back then I didn't really know how to use the app at all.
    Anyway, I even tried to re-set it at 500 grams, but MFP still decided to give me 1200 calories and, honestly, it's too strict. I don't want to starve! XD

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest figuring out your TDEE on the Scooby Workshop and eat at a 15% deficit. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

No, I've been exercising since the beginning, the 500 grams per week was default settings and it took me a while to realize that because back then I didn't really know how to use the app at all.
    Anyway, I even tried to re-set it at 500 grams, but MFP still decided to give me 1200 calories and, honestly, it's too strict. I don't want to starve! XD

Reset to 0.5lb ...that's 250g right? And eat your exercise cals (50-75%)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Lower your goal to a half pound a week and eat some of those exercise calories back.