Death of a loved one, weight gain and loss of all energy

Options
Anyone else here trying to lose after gaining post the loss of a loved one?

2.5 yrs ago I lost my 7yo daughter to cancer. I was already a bit overweight then but I have gained another 25-30 lbs on top of that. I have no energy and really just want to sleep all the time.

I am pursuing my nursing degree, so I am busy between school, my surviving son and my husband/home/church. I seriously just feel "jet lagged" all.of.the.time. I go because I have to and people depend on me. I do have to nap nearly every day because I get to the point where I cannot keep my eyes open.

I have dug out my SBD books and am going to do it. I'm nearly 40 and need to get this under control and get my energy back.

Anyone know how long that may take?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Mrspaulson,

I have no advice. My heart goes out to you. <3<3
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that you should consult a therapist because the way you describe how you feel and go about your life are similar to depression symptoms.

Otherwise, weight loss is all about eating fewer calories than your body currently burns. I'd recommend that you use a calculator like exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html or health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced (I prefer the 2nd one) to estimate your current maintenance needs. Only include activity you regularly do, and average it out. Or you can input a typical "busy" day and jot down the maintenance it provides, then do a typical "lazy" day, add the two numbers together and divide by 2 to get your estimated maintenance needs. Both methods should give the same/similar number. Then I'd recommend eating that much for a month or two. The caveat with this is that you need to track daily to make sure you are not regularly overeating, and weighing your food will be the most accurate way to log your intake. If after a month you have mostly maintained your weight (a few lbs up or down is normal fluctuation), then you can remove 20% from that maintenance number nad set that as a weight loss eating goal. Lower that goal as your weight loss stalls/slows, recalculate entirely if desired to work from new numbers, eat at maintenance w hen you need breaks, etc. Proper logging is essential. If you don't have the energy for your current life hassles you might not be ready yet to use MFP as it's designed to be used, and I'd again recommend talking to a therapist to see if there are some problems with depression lending to your poor energy. Talk to them and your doctor about different potential ways to go about dealing with it as well - in some cases medication really is a must, so don't discount it.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do not have personal experience with the loss of a child, but I have felt that lethargic want-to-sleep-all-the-time feeling from time to time when I was depressed. I am a bit worried by your statement "I go because I have to and people depend on me."

What about your needs? Are you taking care of yourself? I used to wait around for my significant other to do something, but I realized that he's not responsible for what I do with my own body and mental health. So, now, I tell him "I'm going for a walk now!" and go do 20 mins. or "I'm going to watch a movie at 3pm!" and just do it, just for me.

Perhaps you may feel spending time on yourself is selfish, but taking care of yourself helps you be strong and healthy for your husband and child, so it really is necessary.

You have the right to say NO to activities (such as church functions) and to replace them with something that will make you happy. Your happiness is critical to your family's happiness, so don't feel guilty about investing in yourself. You could even do something with an older child such as learning a fun activity together (bowling, skating, arts & crafts, etc.).

Feel free to friend me, if you like! I pray for you and your family to heal and move forward in your lives together.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am so very sorry to hear about your daughter's death and will say a prayer for your family.

Grieving is different for everyone and there is no right way or length of time there. Anyone going to school full time and taking care of a family would be whipped! Add grieving and Lord...no wonder you nap! Take it easy on yourself and don't get mad at you if you need some breaks.

Is SBD "South Beach"? It's supposed to be really healthy and many people have done really well with that. Surely you'll need a PE credit to graduate, so maybe you could pick a class and get some exercise that way.

Exercising kicked my asp when I began it. For the first few weeks, I was like, "Wait, isn't this supposed to give me MORE energy? Wth?!" But then it kicked in and I did feel more energized. I was also in a better mood. I had a small procedure that knocked me off my feet for a couple weeks and I seriously missed it at first...then the lazy thing got easy! When I was back up again, I wasn't sure I wanted to go back to it. I did, though, and it was rough for two days, then it felt great again. It is amazing how fast you adapt to not doing any exercise. But you adapt to doing it pretty quickly, too.

Good luck with school and your diet!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    mrspauleon wrote: »
    Anyone else here trying to lose after gaining post the loss of a loved one?

2.5 yrs ago I lost my 7yo daughter to cancer. I was already a bit overweight then but I have gained another 25-30 lbs on top of that. I have no energy and really just want to sleep all the time.

I am pursuing my nursing degree, so I am busy between school, my surviving son and my husband/home/church. I seriously just feel "jet lagged" all.of.the.time. I go because I have to and people depend on me. I do have to nap nearly every day because I get to the point where I cannot keep my eyes open.

I have dug out my SBD books and am going to do it. I'm nearly 40 and need to get this under control and get my energy back.

Anyone know how long that may take?

I am very sorry to hear about your daughter's passing.
    Make an appt with a psychiatrist to be evaluated.
    The "jet lagged" feeling you describe is likely depression.
    Make an appt with a gp for some blood work to rule out depression.
    While you are there, you can ask about the SBD.
    Do you live in a part of the country with the cold crummy weather?
    Some people can feel better by getting some sunshine.

• emi1997
    emi1997 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 kilos 8 years ago, kept it off, and then gained it all back when my dad, to whom I was always very close, got diagnosed with cancer. Grief is such a very complex thing to deal with, and unfortunately many Christians seem to think we should cope just fine with it.... rubbish! If you break a leg, you need a doctor. If you are depressed, you need a doctor. Treatment varies according to the severity, and many find that CBT helps, along with exercise, others need treatment with drugs. I really sympathise. I stopped exercising because I was spending long hours driving Dad to treatment each day, and comfort ate a lot, while looking after two small children. I felt similarly lethargic and constantly tired. My dad finally died last year. I reckon I was also struggling with low level depression much of that time, and probably still am, but I have found a way to deal with it. I have always loathed running/jogging, although on and off I did half-hearted attempts at other exercise, and never could do even a 5 minute run without feeling like my lungs would explode. However, I decided to follow one of the numerous free 'couch to 5k' programmes which are available online, which take things at a very gentle pace. I knew that physical exercise really can help with treating depression, and can only say that it is worth trying out for a few weeks, as it has made an immeasurable difference to my general mood. By the time I was able to run for 30 minutes without stopping (I still almost can't believe I can actually do this!) I found it had made a huge difference to my energy levels and general feeling of well being, and the endorphins released after a lunch break run mean I have a real buzz for the rest of that day. I still don't like the actual run, but I love feeling like I am less tired and can actually cope with life. Feel free to friend me - am guessing you are across the pond from me, but there are many folk out there wanting to support each other, and it doesn't matter where we are. Praying for you on your journey - hang in there, it can get easier.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. That jet-lagged feeling sounds like you are depressed, and you might benefit from some counseling. The counseling will help your weight loss efforts in the long run as well. All the best to you and your family.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced the loss of a child, but we've all experienced sorrow. It may seem counterintuitive, but exercise is the best way to get past being tired all the time. Bicyclists frequently say, "my bike is my therapist," for good reason. Exercise causes our bodies to release endorphins that lift our spirits. Exercise may not be the complete solution, but it helps.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above regarding seeing a psychiatrist and the possibility of depression. You may also wish to get evaluated for hypothyroid because if your thyroid is not functioning that can cause you to be very tired as well. Sorry for your loss.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Physical inactivity and emotional distress can create a self-reinforcing cycle. Changing one element can sometimes help improve the other. It's hard to take the first step, but even finding 20 min to do some moderate activity can help to change things. You might find that with a little activity you don't feel as tired. It can also help with emotions in a physiological way. I wish you all the best.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. We lost a son to a car accident 10 years ago. There are no timelines on grief. It never goes away, but it generally does get easier to manage over time.

I concur that getting a physical workup to rule out thyroid, etc is a good idea. When my hypothyroid was diagnosed I was super tired, couldn't stay awake a full day and all the classic symptoms. I ended up losing most of a Uni semester that year cuz I just couldn't make it to classes.

I also agree that exercise is a great natural way to stave off depressive emotions. Since I seriously started a fitness and lifting routine, my overall moods are much improved. I ask myself all the time why I didn't discover this "cure" before. When I am held back from my gym routines for a time, I definitely notice myself slipping into couch potato mode more easily. This isn't to say that you shouldn't seek out someone to talk to if it's bad, but some exercise routine on top of that may help.

Best of luck
  • Lkbaker
    Lkbaker Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have gained about 10 lbs since my daughter died in a car accident last year. I do tire and get out of breath easier, but I don't want to sleep all the time. I did however feel that way when my son died 12 years ago. I went to the doctor and was treated for depression. You may want to go to the doctor. Grief is the hardest thing I've ever been through because it's something we carry every day and just because we aren't crying all the time that we are ok. They have no idea what's going on inside us. I will pray for you. Start out slow and build up. Good luck to you sweetie !!
  • Kalikel
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's not a bad idea to see a therapist.

However, grief and clinical depression share many of the same symptoms and grieving doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you that needs to be fixed. It doesn't mean you're depressed in a way that needs treating or in a way that can be shaken off or anything. Depression, in the usual sense of the word, is part of grief. It's normal to be sad when you grieve.

The best thing for grief is still time. Take all you need. There is no, "She should be over this by now." No deadlines. No "I ought to feel better" deadline.

You'll get through this. You will move on, slowly. You can't force it. Each year will get better than the last.

If you think it might help, join a support group for those who grieve.

Don't pressure yourself into "I should do this" and "I ought to do that," though. There is no recommendation for How To Grieve or How To Get Over it. Don't assume there is something wrong with you.

I knew a single mother whose daughter died and except for work and shopping, she sat in her house with the blinds drawn for five years. Then she opened up the blinds and went on with her life. If you are up and doing, taking care of your family and going to school and sometimes you want to take a nap, you're way "ahead" of where she was. But it's not a race.

Take it easy on yourself and allow yourself however long you need.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss. You are only 39 and can lose that weight. I understand about the napping. I have lost a couple of very important people and the effects on a person can be very physical indeed. Lots of love and friend me if you are looking for friends - I have lost 44lb so far
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    After 2.5 years and you still feeling the way you do, I think it's best if you seek help from a psychiatrist/psychologist. It sounds as though you are in the depression stage of grief (next step is acceptance) and would benefit from therapy, medication, or a combination of both.

Prayers to you and your family.
  • Mamapaul76
    Mamapaul76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I appreciate the concern. I agree that it will always be here, active in my life. I should not have had to bury my child. I have accepted that it happened and have vowed to honor her life and all that she taught me through her 7 yrs.

I did try a support group but it just wasn't for me. Many of them were elderly widows and I just didn't fit in. When one lady was grieving her dog I had to stop. I had lost my 12yo dog just 2 months before my daughter and it wasn't even remotely the same. I didn't want to be there comparing losses either.

I am in a network of cancer and special needs moms and from my point of view, I am doing very well, considering. Many of them cannot even function.

I do have a great support group in my family and friends. I know I am blessed with that. They still remember and mention my sweet girl which means everything to me.

I agree that my thyroid needs tested again. It was done yrs ago and I was barely normal then but he didn't want to do anything for me. We learned about it in anatomy last semester and I don't feel mine is working right.

I did join planet fitness and just got my husband to also, so now hopefully, we can go as a family. I am hoping that more exercise will also help with the energy levels.

• Kalikel
    Options
    If the doctor blows off your thyroid again, politely ask for a referral to an endo. I went many years suffering because my doctor just assumed that my problem was that I was fat and lazy. He ran the TSH, but said he ran the whole panel. He didn't. Kept telling me I'd lose if I would diet and exercise. Very frustrating.

Sometimes you need to be an advocate for yourself.

I adore my cat. When she goes, I will grieve and be crushed. It's harder for old people, when the pet is all they have - spouse is gone, kids are gone and don't call...that pet is their whole world and the only one around to love and be loved by. When it goes, it's a much bigger deal than it is for others. But losing a pet is nothing like losing a child!!!

You aren't wrong to be like, "Uh...no. Can't stay here!" Because duh. Of course you cannot sit there and be like, "My grief is bigger than your grief," but it would be difficult to sit there and deal with that. I cannot believe they even put you in a group with a person grieving a pet. Geez.

Support groups aren't for everyone and even people who enjoy them get more from the other people than from the topics presented, like, "Acceptance: Is It Really The End Stage?" (Ugh.)

Hang in there. Good luck with school!!!