Do you have to exercise to lose weight??

Options

Replies

• FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I suppose you don't technically need to exercise to lose weight, but it certainly helps in weight loss.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Technically, you only have to breathe to lose weight, since we eventually breathe out most of the fat. And what causes us to breathe more? Exercise. Imagine that!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    elias1609 wrote: »
    I don't really exercise, I can't afford a gym membership, and it's too cold to go running..

You choose not to, you don't need one, it's not too cold & you don't have to run anyway.

If you don't want to xcise, you don't have to. If you think you want to stop making excuses. x

They canceled school here a few days ago for the wind chill. I don't know where each of you lives, but I would argue that it may, in fact, absolutely be too cold to go running.

If that's your excuse, though, you could jog in place, indoors, until Spring. That's just for the cardio, though - it'll keep your heart healthy. To get shapely muscles, you'll need to do some strength training. But to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    As people have said, to lose weight, you just need a calorie deficit.

For my own part, to lose weight without exercise means I am eating so few calories as to be pretty miserable.

I encourage you to look up done of the recommended exercises on YouTube. You may be very tired when you first start exercising. (If I've gone without it for a long time, it takes me about a month to stop feeling tired) But after that you start to feel pretty amazing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No, but its a good idea to help maintain muscle mass while losing.
  • Cinarocket
    Cinarocket Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ChrissyLowe13
    Options
    I must admit i sometimes have to force myself when weather is miserable and cold. I mainly walk listening to my fave music and it def lifts your spirit especially if nice surroundings. It defo helps with weight loss but as everyone already said above not totally necessary but you will be more toned. Ive an exercise bike & kettlebell for indoor exercise when weather is too bad or lack of time. Good luck!
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Too cold for running is absolutely a thing. Also, if you are a beginner in running, I maybe wouldn't recommend starting in the dead of winter, even if it's not school-is-cancelled-cold. This is just my personal experience: when you're not used to it and your lungs aren't used to the freezing cold air, running sucks.

You don't need exercise to lose weight (but it helps with the calorie deficit). You do need exercise for better health (cardiovascular health is an important thing and strong muscles make you less prone to injuries). Of course, if you are very overweight/obese, simply losing weight improves your health, but exercise is a big part of getting healthier.

If you can't afford a gym membership, could you purchase some equipment to your home? A pair of dumbbells is a start. My favorite equipment investment was an adjustable step (the kind they use in step aerobics). I just set it in front of the tv and start stepping. You could also look up exercise videos on Youtube, as others have suggested.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I really like exercising. It's a mood booster to see my strength and endurance gradually increase as my weight decreases.

I feel healthier and happier and it has nothig to do with my shrinking waist size
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    no you dont. you just have to eat less. physique is about 80% diet and 20% exercise.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    In theory, I don't have to exercise to lose weight.

In practice, I do.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to, but it helps. If you care about body composition you really need exercise, specifically some weight training. Obviously, it is good for your cardiovascular system.

I have also found that I have a VERY hard time either just exercising or just eating well without doing the other. When I exercise, mentally it makes it much more likely I will continue to eat well. One good habit seems to reinforce the other. Not everybody is like me, but I have heard many people say similar things. It could help you stick with healthy habits.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    elias1609 wrote: »
    I don't really exercise, I can't afford a gym membership, and it's too cold to go running..

You don't have to exercise to lose weight if you don't eat more than the calories you are allowed for your goal. You might need to log, weigh and measure your food and drinks more carefully to make sure you stay at that number of calories.
    Exercise is very good for you and can be helpful for losing weight.
    You don't have to join a gym to exercise. You don't have to exercise outdoors. You don't have to spend hours exercising- just 30 minutes regularly is good. You can workout at home with little to no equipment. There are lots of free workout videos on you tube, you can try dvd's, active video games, climbing stairs in your home or workplace, or dancing. You could go walk around in a shopping mall.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    no, just to look good when you are at that lower weight.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    No, but if you don't you're a bad person
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    In theory, I don't have to exercise to lose weight.

In practice, I do.

^this

Technically no one has to exercise to lose weight. Exercising makes the calorie portion of the equation a lot easier to manage in my opinion.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If leading a healthy life is part of your goals then yes, you need to exercise.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10075183/adopting-healthy-habits-its-not-just-about-losing-weight?new=1

For weight loss alone it isn't obligatory, it is often helpful.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    You don't have to but it helps.

Have you ever thought about checking out workout videos from your local library? It's free and the videos can be done from home at your convenience, usually without any equipment needed.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    No but it makes me a much more pleasant person to be around if I have worked out.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Exercising is my second favorite part of losing weight, after eating.... :)