Here's What 2,000 Calories Look Like (Restaurant Chains): New York Times

Options

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I guess that's where we differ. If I eat out I expect goood-quality ingredients and a dish someone thought about. If for some reason (potatoes are rotten, forgot to buy chicken....) I'm not cooking I just go for a bite, which might be at a chain restaurant, but within my calorie goal. A small coke, 1/4 chicken breast and half 3 bean salad at Nanos for example.

a 1/4 chicken breast, what would even be the point?

A 1/4 chicken, breast only
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

I'd still eat every one of those meals...they look fabulous!

Seriously? I think they look disgusting. Each one of them. I could never eat so much, and I don't see a reason to pile up such enormous amounts of food, and then put cheese over it. Yes, I know why I gained weight over the years, and it's not from eating something like this :wink:

Absolutely! I know why I gained weight too, because I ate TOO MUCH of everything, not because I ate too much of one thing. I applaud those who can, after years of eating too much, restrict things from their diet and be successful over the long term. I will not. I eat the food that I love in proper proportions while trying to keep my diet balanced. I will eat a meal like this occasionally. I plan for it and make adjustments where I can otherwise. I'd rather be fat than miserable. Thankfully, I don't have to be either.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Interesting.
    Now they should show the choices at those restaurants that can fit into a normal person's day.

I can fit all those choices into my day am I not normal?? (anyone from FL should not answer that)

Great that you have it figured out. You probably are not normal/average person. Most people probably can not consume 2,000 at one meal and fit it in their day very well because they are not aware or the effort to make it work is not worth it to them.
    All the restaurants I've eaten at do have choices that do not have that many calories and I can find something tasty that fits my less than 2,000 a day calorie plan or eat a smaller portion.
    I'm saying that it would have been helpful if they had also shown reasonable choices at the same restaurants instead of just presenting "OMG! Eating out is bad! Eat at home". I'm not the one saying that people can not eat at restaurants and lose weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I very rarely eat out (home cooking culture), but I don't like articles like these. You easily have 2000 calorie meals at home, even 2000 calorie single dishes. It does not have to be a resturaunt. You could also easily have an 800 calorie meal at a resturaunt (normal dinner intake for a normal weight person) that is good and filling.

It's interesting how they have diet coke for the home menu and regular for the restaurant menus.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
    Now they should show the choices at those restaurants that can fit into a normal person's day.

I can fit all those choices into my day am I not normal?? (anyone from FL should not answer that)

Great that you have it figured out. You probably are not normal/average person. Most people probably can not consume 2,000 at one meal and fit it in their day very well because they are not aware or the effort to make it work is not worth it to them.
    All the restaurants I've eaten at do have choices that do not have that many calories and I can find something tasty that fits my less than 2,000 a day calorie plan or eat a smaller portion.
    I'm saying that it would have been helpful if they had also shown reasonable choices at the same restaurants instead of just presenting "OMG! Eating out is bad! Eat at home". I'm not the one saying that people can not eat at restaurants and lose weight.

Agree. I actually have to work a lot harder to meet my macro's when I eat out generally speaking. I do it (frequently actually), but I don't think it's simple at all.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I guess that's where we differ. If I eat out I expect goood-quality ingredients and a dish someone thought about. If for some reason (potatoes are rotten, forgot to buy chicken....) I'm not cooking I just go for a bite, which might be at a chain restaurant, but within my calorie goal. A small coke, 1/4 chicken breast and half 3 bean salad at Nanos for example.

Ah, that wasn't what you wrote. That makes more sense.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options

Ah, that wasn't what you wrote. That makes more sense.

Sorry.. working and posting on the boards together is not a good idea :cold_sweat:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I guess this is where we differ. Ok, here's hy I think it's not yummy

Having been brought up with a slice of cheese or meat on a slice of bread with butter I think a huge piece of bread with a massive amount of meat is strange. Does a bread get better the more stuff you put on it? Plus crisps and a cookie! The drink is a nectar, which isn't even real juice and probably extremely sweet. My favourite 'sandwich' still is a slice of excellent ham and good butter on a simple fresh baguette in Paris. Nothing else. And it keeps me full for a long time.

Shake shack burger: The bread looks soggy, the meat doesn't really look like nice and fresh meat and the cheese probably is just analogue cheese and has a strange colour.

The steak does look nice, but it's far too big for me.

Tour of Italy sampler looks nothing like Italian food.

Etc... I guess I should be happy I don't live in Northern America. I'd probably have a problem...

:yawn:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Anyone else think they cheated Subway a bit? Flatbread, salad, Sub, and soup? and called that breakfast and lunch! Thats 3 meals and a snack surely not even including the crisps(chips) and cookie.

The whole article is typical journalistic voodoo really. There are many combinations of foods at all restaurants so you can do whatever you want to make it look good or bad. If I go to McDonald's or Wendy's and have a salad that's around 300 calories and a water or diet drink I'm going to have to really fight to get to 2000.

Of course, Subway also cheats because they don't add cheese or sauce when they headline the numbers. A 6" chicken breast is listed at 350 but is more like 500 to 600 (or even more) calories if you get a different bread, add different topics, add cheese, and add a typical 4+ tbls of dressing.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    LAWL @ "Subway and Starbucks have reputations as healthier choices for fast food"...um according to WHOM, exactly?? That's hilarious.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It's sort of obnoxious that the at home meals mostly had calorie free beverages, while the restaurants all had calorie packed XL choices. I would have liked to have seen a more realistic comparison (either no beverages at all, or more consistent beverages).

Those, "Eat This Not That" books do things like that too and it drives me crazy. They show an entire plate of cheese fries from Outback and all the calories in it, then they show an alternative dish that is clearly divided into individual portions at something like 280 cals. If you share cheese fries among four people, yes, it is still 500 cals/portion, but not as dramatic of a difference compared to their recommendation...

• JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lol, I say this all the time, but I don't know how I managed to be as skinny as I was when I was a kid because I'd go all out at restaurants. Especially subway. The meal wasn't complete without a bag of chips, iced tea and a cookie.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    who even drinks full calorie soda anymore? that really shouldn't be included. they are trying too hard. most of those meals are not something i'd eat in total.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    LAWL @ "Subway and Starbucks have reputations as healthier choices for fast food"...um according to WHOM, exactly?? That's hilarious.

Yeah, the Starbuck latte is not real coffee, but a milkshake, and can easily go over 400 cals. Subway is not really as low cal as thought either.
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sigh..... thanks for posting.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

yeah, the jared advertising for subway fooled some people who lack common sense.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    It's sort of obnoxious that the at home meals mostly had calorie free beverages, while the restaurants all had calorie packed XL choices. I would have liked to have seen a more realistic comparison (either no beverages at all, or more consistent beverages).

Those, "Eat This Not That" books do things like that too and it drives me crazy. They show an entire plate of cheese fries from Outback and all the calories in it, then they show an alternative dish that is clearly divided into individual portions at something like 280 cals. If you share cheese fries among four people, yes, it is still 500 cals/portion, but not as dramatic of a difference compared to their recommendation...

But a fair comparison wouldn't make good headlines or entice people to read.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    What an eye opener. I think most people don't understand just how many calories are in "fast food." I eat mostly home prepared foods for budget and health reasons. Even eating fast food while traveling over the holiday season made me bloat and gain 4 lbs. I have almost lost all of it since, but it was kind of shocking. Thanks so much for posting this article.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I would say a 40+ female who can fit in 2000 calorie meals and lose weight is not normal. ;)

Why not? Because I don't eat 1200? Because I can plan my day and make it fit .. sounds pretty normal to me.

Did I say I was eating them every day? No can I fit it in without a problem and lose weight yep. Not a problem
    I think the original comment meant 'show the choices most people can fit into a normal day'.

I too scratched my head over the Starbucks and Subway comment.

• ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There was a time when a Burger King Double Whopper with cheese and large onion rings was my usual lunch...of course to be "healthy" I would wash it down with diet Coke! Now, an occasional Whopper Junior, hold the mayo. Some of those meals might look tasty, but I start to feel sick just thinking of how stuffed I would feel.