Really...Can I eat what I want an lose weight?

Options

Replies

• mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of mixed views on here, but personally I go by the 80/20 rule. This means that I eat 80% good, 80% of the time. It helps me to stay on track most of the time if every day I can have something a little bit bad, like a snack size bar of chocolate, or ranch on my salad. As long as I know I get those little bad things, I can convince myself to make healthier choices overall.

For some people, they can't deal with any temptation, so they steer clear of everything "bad", but for me this strategy works. You have to find a balance of what works for you. If you can eat only four or five french fries and leave the rest, go for it and log it. If only one makes you want to eat the entire plate, then stay away.

Edit for typo
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There is a way to eat more calories and fats but not junk.... it does nothing to nourish your cells in your body. Our bodies do not in theory need food.... it needs the nutrients found in these foods in order to fuel the cells that make up the various organs in our bodies. So you can absolutely jump up the fat contents and still lose weight if your under calorie.... but are you getting ALL the nutrients (vitamins and minerals, multiple amino acids derived from proteins, and all the different kinds of carbs) your body needs in one day to properly fuel your body??? by bumping up your calories and fats with 'junk' probably not.... A good way would be with fiber rich foods as well as caloric and fat dense healthy foods like almonds and other raw unprocessed foods.

We can keep putting crappy oil in our cars and it will run fine and great for awhiel.... but after some time, gunk starts to build up and things start to fall apart and fail.... just like our bodies....
  • safari20111
    safari20111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I can not eat what I want and lose weight. I have to cut out everything. ANNOYING but it is what it is..
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    well said!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    This is a huge reason why diet soda is a problem. People think it's okay because it's calorie free, but it also hinders wait loss because it gets that sweet taste in your system and then actually causes you to crave more sweets, if not right away, then later on.

I think this TOTALLY depends on the person. I believe you when you say that diet soda does this to *you*, but not to everyone. I enjoy 4-5 cans of diet Sprite per week and it actually fills me up. It's never caused me to crave more sweets. Ever.

Is it the best thing in the world for you? Probably not. (7 Ingredients: Carbonated water, citric acid and natural flavors are the first three ingredients --for flavor and color. Potassium citrate and potassium benzoate are preservatives and aspartame and acesulfame potassium are artificial sweeteners.)

Is it the worst thing in the world for you? Probably not.
    But, this thread isn't really about diet soda (sorry:) :blushing:
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    There are many self-righteous, 100% by the book, clean eating people that will think you are evil if you don’t eat like them on here, but truthfully if 90% of your diet is clean and healthy you are fine. Enjoy your junk food, there is nothing wrong with it.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    In moderation yes.

If i want a bowl of ice cream or I want a cheeseburger or something, I'll fit it into my diet.
    I don't make choices like this everyday, because overall you want to eat clean.
    But if you're craving something, figure out how to change up your diet that day to make it fit your needs.
    If I can still come in close to my goals, I'll eat it.
  • End6ame
    Options
    In moderation yes.

If i want a bowl of ice cream or I want a cheeseburger or something, I'll fit it into my diet.
    I don't make choices like this everyday, because overall you want to eat clean.
    But if you're craving something, figure out how to change up your diet that day to make it fit your needs.
    If I can still come in close to my goals, I'll eat it.

Exactly what I do as well.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You can retrain your brain to enjoy 2 Oreos as much as 12 :)
    I truly believe in this. You get more satisfaction out of the first few bites of anything more than you do out of the last twenty bites.
  • safari20111
    safari20111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I exercise daily and try to stay under 1400 calories but sometimes I may eat 1 cookie and feel like I've just wasted my time working out.

I've seen many diaries where people are eating what they want but still losing 1-2lbs per week by exercising daily. I am just curious to know HOW?
  • FluttershySweetie
    FluttershySweetie Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yup. Already consumed 6 oreos today. They are in my diary.

i wish i had the gall to try an oreo!!!!

Yummo!
    Someone brought them and some chips and salsa into work for cinco de mayo.

I actually found that I lost more weight by eating junkier. I believe my problem was that I wasn't consuming enough fats. By upping my calories 300 / day, I started losing 2 lbs a week instead of 1.

My previous post is in regards to this post, sorry quote didn`t work for some reason....
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your junk food, there is nothing wrong with it.

Really? There's a word in the first part of that sentence that completely contradicts the second part. What's wrong with it, is that it is junk. Most junk food is nutritionally void, full of saturated fats, sugar, and chemicals. If you have to include junk food in your lifestyle to make it work, at least be honest about what you are doing! That being said the only thing I've completely eliminated from my diet is crisps (because they are my weakness and I'd rather spend the calories elsewhere just now) and storebought cakes/cookies/sweets.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Log it and don't let crap be your whole diet. I measure out jelly bellies, but I damn sure still eat them.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    There are many self-righteous, 100% by the book, clean eating people that will think you are evil if you don’t eat like them on here, but truthfully if 90% of your diet is clean and healthy you are fine. Enjoy your junk food, there is nothing wrong with it.

OMG, THIS. I'm SOOOO sick of self-righteous judgments about if I drink a diet coke or resort to some Healthy Choice lunches during the week. Clean eating isn't for everyone and I will forever preach that moderation is key.
  • End6ame
    Options
    Enjoy your junk food, there is nothing wrong with it.

Really? There's a word in the first part of that sentence that completely contradicts the second part. What's wrong with it, is that it is junk. Most junk food is nutritionally void, full of saturated fats, sugar, and chemicals. If you have to include junk food in your lifestyle to make it work, at least be honest about what you are doing! That being said the only thing I've completely eliminated from my diet is crisps (because they are my weakness and I'd rather spend the calories elsewhere just now) and storebought cakes/cookies/sweets.

I said 90% clean/healthy, which if you do the difficult math, that means 10% not clean, which includes junk food. There is nothing wrong with junk food in moderation. All the health warning about trans fat, saturated fat, artificial sweeteners, etc.. are negligible when talking about moderation. The problem is when those are all that your diet is mad up of. So yes, i stand by my previous statement; enjoy your junk food!... in moderation.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I have burned 1000 calories in working out today so yup I had a Little Debbie swiss roll... still don't know how i'm going to get 2000 calories in today
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think that it depends on the person. That mentality doesn't work for me though. Before I started working out and eating right I was still a "small portion" eater. And I was eating junk most of the time. But due to that I ended up topping out at 233 pounds. Since I have started exercising at eating more clean, the pounds are dropping off of me. I do know some people who eat whatever they want and look great! I am not one of them. I suggest excercising and eating right. Your body will feel much better!
  • JJ_27
    JJ_27 Posts: 19
    Options
    it's not only Americans that have this problem :)
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    yes! but remember, you shouldnt be eating packaged snacks often or eating a lot of fried foods. just try to eat small portions of whatever you want, and add a little bit a salad on the side.