CHALLENGE FOR JANUARY 2015 -- Say "NO" To Late Night Snacking

Options
I'm putting this in the here on the message boards instead of in the group in hopes of getting more support. Thanks!

"Tired of self-sabotaging by munching after dinner? Upset that you double your in-calories at night? Then it's not just me . To get some help (or inspire us by your good example), please join us in this challenge.

We're usually fixing a cut-off time, past which only non-caloric things are allowed (unsweetened tea or water). Yet, we're not that strict: you may allow yourself a handful of almonds, if you're able to stop at that. Figure out what fits you and start counting... .

We go by the formula:
Me: "number indicating how many evenings you stuck to it"
LNS: "number of times late night snacks won"

Example: Me: 2 - LNS: 0 indicates I won the first two nights.

Some people also add a * to the latest number. In the example, that would be
Me: 2 - LNS: 1*
if LNS won the 3rd night.

It's as simple as that. Or as complicated, as you will discover. Nevertheless, the persistence and good results of some of our "old" members (and some people keep coming back) show that the battle is worthwhile .

Welcome!

Replies

• kaycaputo
    Options
    This is so me.
    I can eat healthy and control myself all day long. It's just after putting the kids in bed. I feel like that's the time I can enjoy whatever snack without sharing or losing it to the kids. That's not helping me to lose my baby weight.
    I need to get down 30lbs!!!
    And I know that by only cutting late night snacks I can reach my goal!
  • boilerqueen43
    boilerqueen43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree. My will power just goes out the door in the evening. I'm not hungry, just bored or tired or frustrated. And once I start it's like what's the use? I might as well keep eating.
  • shelbylmayer
    shelbylmayer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Okay I've been trying to do this, I'm just not sure what my cut off time should be considering I usually work until about 2 am and am not going to sleep until 5/6 am. Any tips or advice?
  • Hazeydoodle
    Hazeydoodle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As soon as it hits 7pm and my son goes to bed I can hear the snack cupboard calling... All day is fine - It's so frustrating!!
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I just had a brownie at 3 30am
  • Tionne31
    Tionne31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well I have struggled with this before, I was buying organic fair trade dark chocolate bars with a cocoa content of at least 70% or higher and I had convinced myself that I should have a serving (which was 1/3 of a bar...which was a row of the bar that contained 3 individual pieces when broken) because of the health benefits associated with dark chocolate. The problem I didn't take into account was how much I enjoy chocolate so instead of eating a 1/3 of the bar I'd routinely eat at least 1/2 of it or the whole thing if I was really doing bad...so a single candy bar that ideally should have lasted 5 days last 2 at the most. However I have found success in overcoming it for the last 2 weeks with no losses. These are the recommendations I have that work for me and possibly may work for you. I

- I don't keep anything that I would usually go for as a late night snack in my home...so for now until I feel my restraint has been corrected no more dark chocolate bars purchased on my weekly grocery trip.

- I have a few healthy snack recipes that I can make rather quickly if I have a craving for it and I make sure that I include raw cocoa powder, to aid with my chocolate fix. There is something very off putting about making a snack lol.

- I drink 20 oz of water first when the craving hits and then see if I still want something "sweet"

- I have limited my television watching time to 1 hour a day because I would mindlessly eat while watching my favorite show.

- I make it a habit of going to bed at the same time every single night and it's fairly early in comparison to what I used to do (10:00), but if the craving kicks in I go to bed earlier...can't eat if I'm sleep lol.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I actually schedule a snack after dinner....usually around 8pm or so. This snack is usually some nonfat greek yogurt, high in protien, no fat, low carb and generally low cal....this helps me with late night cravings. I also drink tons of water and the occassionally unsweetened green tea.
  • top_mom
    top_mom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    evenings can be very difficult!! Not having the things in my house that call me by name helps, but I seem to find other things lol

My cut off time will be right after dinner.. aiming for 5 in a row starting today!
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I had already been doing this challenge (not too successfully) so I'm going to pick up where I left off. This is a great challenge for those of us whose willpower and resistance fades as the hours go by. My cut-off time is 9:30 pm. So far,
    Me: 3
    LNS: 4
    Hoping to resist again tonight and tie the score up and then tip the scales (so to speak - ha ha) in my favor.

Thanks IamIam for putting this on the general message board so we have more friends to be accountable to in this challenge. :)
  • ebony_teaches
    ebony_teaches Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sabotage myself at night too! Even when I come home from the gym after a good workout :( this has got to end.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Time of day doesn't matter. However, be careful if you're a mindless snacker while watching tv. Easy to overdo it then. Just fit it into your daily goal and you'll be fine.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    WOW! It's so nice to see so many people joining this challenge!!! Last month I only had 2 nights late night snacking but so far I'm at 3. I'm determined to get back on track!!

Me: 5
    LNS: 3*
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the challenge, I resisted continuing my mindless snacking past my cut-off time. (just mind games, but it works!)
    Me: 4
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Jan 10

Me: 6*
  • emeraldvssilver
    emeraldvssilver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! Well done everyone! I wish I could do this but my working day can span from 7:30am to 12:30am with my shifts being from 3-10 hours so having a cut off point for food would be so incredibly difficult (today I had my dinner at midnight) but I wish everyone luck. And if anyone has any pointers for someone with a worklife like mine then I am all too happy to hear them :)
  • ellavader
    ellavader Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started my journey on monday. So far this week I'm me - 7 LNS - 0. Tonight I really want to snack out.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    ellavader wrote: »
    I started my journey on monday. So far this week I'm me - 7 LNS - 0. Tonight I really want to snack out.

Awesome job, Ellavader!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Jan 11

Me: 6
    LNS: 5*
  • mrJRamos
    Options
    Great to see all the new members!

Today was my first day (in a few months) of logging in and something about writing all the stuff down immediately makes me stop 'cause I don't want to not succeed in front of all these wonderful support systems.

01/11/14:

ME - 1*
    LNS - 0

Today is the first day of many streaks to come!

Be Strong everyone!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Jan 12

Me: 6
    LNS: 6*