a gazillion dollars to the inventor of the rice cake and whoever made us think it was a "diet" food

Options

Replies

• jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I have never regarded them as a diet food didnt realise they were touted as such.

thank you! I didn't realize how old and outdated I was and that the kids these days aren't trying to stuff rice cakes like they do juicing.

Now (again) don't get me wrong, I love rice cakes to bits, I just don't think people should be lured into thinking they will help any weight-loss efforts.

You (and a lot of others) are apparently too young for this, but a long time ago we were led to believe eating rice cakes would lead to weight loss.

You hear that kiddos!?! Does that sound stupid?!? If that sounds silly question any other blanket statements you are given.

I remember my mom eating them. :) Sorry! :)

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »
    I will keep it short! What type of rice cake are you referring to. Korean, Japanese, Chinese, South Eastern Countries or Indian?

the nasty american puffy "diet" kind (though I find them delicious, as does at least one of my dogs apprently cause she just ran off with the package from the ones I just consumed)

Either way I am SUPER relieved to see that it is not the fad that it used to be. I think people should eat them if they find them a yummy snack, but they sure as heck should not eat them if they think eating them will get them skinny. Won't anymore than eating Doritos will!!!

Now I had better go tend to my dog before she suffocates herself on the package. Damn you flavorings!
  • hortensehildegarde
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    One time I tried to make a pb2+ sugar free jelly sandwich on something likened to a rice cake:

19k2jqznryy9.jpg

By time it was lunch time, it was soggy, inedible, and smelled like vomit. It was a low point in my life :(

It made me wish I had real rice cakes, I would've eaten anything BUT that at that point

yeah... rice cake consistency won't hold up to being exposed to any sort of moisture much beyond the immediate point of consumption. Sorry for your bad experience!

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    One time I tried to make a pb2+ sugar free jelly sandwich on something likened to a rice cake:

19k2jqznryy9.jpg

By time it was lunch time, it was soggy, inedible, and smelled like vomit. It was a low point in my life :(

It made me wish I had real rice cakes, I would've eaten anything BUT that at that point

yeah... rice cake consistency won't hold up to being exposed to any sort of moisture much beyond the immediate point of consumption. Sorry for your bad experience!
    Haha, yeah I definitely learned the hard way. It's all good, I'm a bit wiser now because of it, I guess. I had some baby carrots in the lunch bag too, so I didn't go -completely- hungry
  • hortensehildegarde
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    Too much sodium for me!

yeah well I eat a crap ton of pickles, canned veg, other snack foods and nuts and etc all chock full of salt. Not to mention the actual salt I add to most food. Thankfully salt doesn't make me gain weight or hinder my weight loss! Otherwise I'd be up s*** creek without a paddle, as they say. Salt would be the bane of my existence save for my forgiving low blood pressure!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I usewd to chow down on rice cakes until I discovered corn thins. 47 calories for 2 and they taste kind of like popcorn. I don't think of them as a diet food, more of a yummy crunchy base for dips, hummas, cheese and vegemite, cottage cheese and tuna...
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Travis_2 wrote: »
    They make horrible ice cream sandwiches.

Use pop-tarts.

OMG S'mores Pop Tarts ice cream sandwich... yum!!!

I can't stand rice cakes as I think they taste terrible and aren't very filling.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Based on many posts I've seen here, this is the logic:

I don't like it.
    If I don't like it, nobody likes it.
    People eat it while losing weight.
    They are eating things they don't like while on a diet.
    It must be diet food.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Based on many posts I've seen here, this is the logic:

I don't like it.
    If I don't like it, nobody likes it.
    People eat it while losing weight.
    They are eating things they don't like while on a diet.
    It must be diet food.

Like cauliflower, apparently!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat packing peanuts
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I like them :) I like the white cheddar ones and I'll make it lunch by getting two, adding deli meat and cheese to each, and smearing mayo/ stone ground mustard on them. Or I'll get the caramel ones, smear pb/nutella on them and add half a chopped banana for a snack.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I use them to make gluten free open face sandwiches since regular GF bread is WAY higher in calories. Works pretty well :)
  • ColoradoGrl
    ColoradoGrl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Heavens... I thought you were going to be touting rice cakes! LOL. Uggh. What an insult to food/nutrition. (That's the best thing I can say about them)!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Aren't they like 35-40 calories?

the ones I am eating are 45 calories a piece, which is insane for their weight. I typically want to eat at least 8 of them once I start in on them.

And sacrilege to those who say they taste bad! Actually I dunno, they might taste bad to some. I eat the white cheddar kinds and they taste as yummy to me as any other popcorn or puffed rice does. Of course I am also the sort of person who finds cauliflower and string beans super yummy, they just happen to be a LOT more calorie friendly than my arch-enemy, the rice cake.

Yeah. So I eat 7. And it is extremely filling, at least I think. I was just freaking out about how good they were they other day ha.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Aren't they like 35-40 calories?

the ones I am eating are 45 calories a piece, which is insane for their weight. I typically want to eat at least 8 of them once I start in on them.

And sacrilege to those who say they taste bad! Actually I dunno, they might taste bad to some. I eat the white cheddar kinds and they taste as yummy to me as any other popcorn or puffed rice does. Of course I am also the sort of person who finds cauliflower and string beans super yummy, they just happen to be a LOT more calorie friendly than my arch-enemy, the rice cake.

I love cauliflower and string beans, but can't stand rice cakes. (Also love popcorn.)

Glad you enjoy them, though!

I grew up in the '80s, so they do have a "diet food" association to me, but that's not why I don't care for them. Just personal tastes (I hate cereal too and always think it's odd that people have trouble not overeating it). I think I got exposed to cottage cheese as diet food (again, '80s), and I love it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love rice cakes!!! The texture is what I enjoy. Korean brown rice cakes are off the hinges yommy.
    group_ofpoppers.jpeg.size.xxxxlarge.promo.jpg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    These are quite nice rice cakes and i have some by concidence.

timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kallo.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Fcaramel_thins.png&w=auto&h=687&zc=1&s=0&f=0
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes are food? I've been putting my drinks on them all these years...
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use them as a plate for my PB :smile:
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ha. I eat rice cakes sometimes, but I kind of use them as crackers of sorts. I don't eat gluten, so rice cakes or rice crackers work for me. I might pack a couple to take to work, and then eat them with a bit of peanut butter or cheese or something as a snack. I don't eat them because I think they will make me lose weight. I eat them because they fit in with my lifestyle. And I don't mind them. I do remember, though, in the 80's when they were so popular with dieters (i.e. my mom). Anything low calorie was all the rage.