Healthy eating kinda sucks....

Options
dubird
dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
So, this is more of a rant than anything else, but am I the only one that doesn't actually like 'healthy' food? I hate most veggies. There are few that I'll eat and kinda sorta like if cooked right, but mostly I do not like the taste. Yogurt? If it's not frozen, no. I have yet to try a variety of regular or Greek yogurt that actually tastes good to me. Fruit? I like some fruits ok, and if I have them I'll eat them, but I don't crave them. So telling me to eat fruit when I crave something does NOTHING for the cravings I have. I know that part of getting healthy is eating healthy, but I have no desire to do much in that direction since it's mostly foods I don't like. And the 'eat them often enough and you will like them' doesn't actually help. I've been eating sweet peas for a lot of years since it's about the only cooked green veggie I don't mind eating. Doesn't mean I like them, just means I don't notice them. So, am I just a freak, or is this something a lot of people deal with? What's the point of eating healthy when it makes you not want to eat because you don't like any of the meals?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Take a multivitamin.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I experiment with recipes. Fat in appropriate doses, is delightful. I don't try and cut all fat any more.

What is your poison? Is it salt, fat, crunchy, sweet, or spicy?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP - what are your goals? If simply trying to lose weight - you can do that eating whatever kind of food you like, as long as you are in a calorie deficit. In order to be "healthy" you should also try to hit your macro/micro nutrients - which is probably where you are getting the advice that you don't care for.
  • dubird
    Options
    I crave salt. Always have, even as a little girl. To the point that I used to eat salt, which drove my dad crazy! XD So, I can add that to a lot of things, but it doesn't do anything for what is considered healthy food.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    What are your goals, and what do you like to eat?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You eat fruit and some veg, but just because you don't like yoghurt you're not eating healthy?
  • dubird
    Options
    I do take a multivitamin, so not worried about that. My goal is to drop those last damn 10 lbs. Fortunately, we've FINALLY finished the move, so I can get back on that. As for what I like to eat? Red meat, salty snack things, bread. I actually crave salt and bread and I'm not sure why. As I said, it was more of a rant and seeing if others feel the same way.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There are so many vegetables with different tastes and textures, and so many cooking methods, that I always have a hard time believing that anyone could really not like any of them.

OP, what vegetables have you tried and how were they prepared? Do you typically eat them alone or in some type of prepared dish (casserole, soup, stew, pizza, lasanga, omelet, etc.)?
  • dubird
    Options
    No, it's more....hmm, how to put it. Whenever I see people asking for low calorie ideas for food and snacks, the majority of people respond with stuff like carrot sticks, fruit, yogurt, granola and the like. As if those kinds of foods will satisfy snack cravings. And they probably do for some, but those are not snacks to me. What I eat of those is more stuff I eat with a meal and I eat because I need to, not because I'm hungry or I want them. Does that make sense?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    When I get sick of a diet, I change it up.

If I were you, I'd find a way to incorporate salt or salt substitutes wherever you can to satisfy your soul. You can change it up by using garlic, onion powder, and so on. I hate the salt substitute based on potassium. Bitter. Blech.

Celery is naturally salty. Do you like fresh, crisp celery?

I love the texture of bread. When I could not enjoy bread like I used to, I found new crackers and breads that satisfied my craving. In my old life I could easily finish a loaf a day. These days bread is stored in the freezer and the bread comes out one slice at a time. If I stored the bread in the refrigerator it would go bad before I could eat it all.
  • dubird
    Options
    I'
    There are so many vegetables with different tastes and textures, and so many cooking methods, that I always have a hard time believing that anyone could really not like any of them.

OP, what vegetables have you tried and how were they prepared? Do you typically eat them alone or in some type of prepared dish (casserole, soup, stew, pizza, lasanga, omelet, etc.)?

Lets see.....Cooked, I'm ok with peas, carrots and corn. Not fond of lima beans, but I'll eat them with enough salt. When I do a salad, I prefer raw spinach as part of the base. I despise green beans, mushrooms and broccoli. Most other veggies fall into the 'meh' category for me. If it's in something, I tend to eat around it to get to the meat, though I don't put a lot of effort into that unless it's one of the ones I despise. I don't like adding veggies to a recipe unless the recipe itself calls for that. It not only changes the flavor, but also the texture, which is another big reason why I don't like most veggies.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    So eat the red meat, the salty snack things, and the bread...just take your multivitamin and keep your calories at a deficit. Life's too short to eat foods you hate.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love bread. its the staff of life ;)
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You should look for the "If it fits your macro" thing.
  • dubird
    Options
    Don't really care for celery. Flavor is meh and not worth dealing with the strings to get to it. Even with peanut butter. And it doesn't taste salty to me at all, which is kinda weird if you think about it.
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    OP - what are your goals? If simply trying to lose weight - you can do that eating whatever kind of food you like, as long as you are in a calorie deficit. In order to be "healthy" you should also try to hit your macro/micro nutrients - which is probably where you are getting the advice that you don't care for.

One of my personal rules for dieting is to only eat foods i like. I don't eat diet food. I have a calorie budget and I stick to it most of the time. I track what I eat and i track my exercise. When I am at a deficit for the week I see a loss on the scale.

Lucky for me i do like a lot of vegetables. That makes it easier to feel full as they are low calorie. There are some so called unhealthy food that I like and rarely eat. Just because they are so calorie dense that I don't get enough food to feel satisfied.
  • dubird
    Options
    So eat the red meat, the salty snack things, and the bread...just take your multivitamin and keep your calories at a deficit. Life's too short to eat foods you hate.

EXACTLY. Which is what I try to do. What's the point of eating if you don't like most of what you have to eat?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    With the amount of salt you are getting in your diet, you have lost the ability to taste natural salt in foods. That's OK.