Energy Gel

Options
I came across some Gu Enery Gel the other day and wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone has had any sucess with it. I have been running and trying to up my mileage but I feel that about mile 4 I start to lose my energy. Does anyone use any energy gels to get them a boost or is it a waste of money and time.

Thanks.

Replies

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't like Gu because of the consistency of it. My husband uses Gu and loves it. I use the Cliff Shot Blocks and the Jelly Belly energy beans. I just like those better but I know a ton of people that really like the Gu. Again for me...it grosses me out. HAA

Here is how I use them:

Just before run
    Mile 4.5-5
    Mile 9.5-10
    Mile 14.5-15
  • adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Right now I am using Cardio Igniter to start out my work outs. But I have found that the longer I run the more it seems to wear off. I dont know if I am getting a tolerance to it or what. but ran across the gels and wasnt sure if it really helped or not. I will look into those and see what I like. I dont do well with weird consistancies either.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I use gu and love it but I can see how the thickness could be off putting for some.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Running out of energy 4 miles in could just be a sign your fitness isn't up to the task just yet.

Generally you can go a few hours before needing to "refuel" with these things. Depends on what your goals are though. For an all-day event (Ironman, or Ultramarathon) you want to start taking them with regularity early on. For a shorter event like a marathon you may or may not not need any at all (but most people like to take a few).

Shorter than that you probably won't need anything.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I use in energy gels in races longer than a half marathon, but quite honestly at four miles, you really shouldn't need one. Either there is something in your overall nutrition that is off, or you are developing a mental block about it.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It really is all about finding what works for you. I do think that any type of those products do work. I could be among the strange...I also hate bananas so post race I reach for the bagel and almond butter. HA

*oh and my husband loves the salted caramel and chocolate peanut butter. In case you wanted a suggestion. :D
  • glevinso
    Options
    Oh and to add: using them for fueling a race requires training it. Personally I aim for 300 calories per hour whenever I am doing long training days (3+ hours) so that on race day I can handle the calorie input.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    when I ran (1 marathon 2 1/2 marathon or cross counried ski LONG) I would use a gel after an hour of exercise to keep me going. You should have enough energy reserves to get you through your first hour. After using gels awhile I switched to the sport jelly beans-better tasting. Also remember to take water with your gel/beans as your body needs it to digest them.
    so NO for a 4 mile run and yes for 10k or whatever an hour run is for you.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i see prof. football players having it on the sidelines but don't have any exp. with it myself.
  • glevinso
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    when I ran (1 marathon 2 1/2 marathon or cross counried ski LONG) I would use a gel after an hour of exercise to keep me going. You should have enough energy reserves to get you through your first hour. After using gels awhile I switched to the sport jelly beans-better tasting. Also remember to take water with your gel/beans as your body needs it to digest them.

Well - not even for a 10k since that is over after about an hour... You only really need to use these things when you are going WAY longer than an hour.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Well - not even for a 10k since that is over after about an hour... You only really need to use these things when you are going WAY longer than an hour.

This is true. You can usually make it 2-3 hours before really needing one...and even then its not totally necessary. Training runs of up to 20 miles I will do without anything. In a marathon I will take one gel every 6 miles as a boost. Anything longer than a 50k and we're talking about introducing solid food, which is a whole other thing. For a 10k or a half...they are pretty unnecessary. Its not like its going to hurt you, but its not needed.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    i see prof. football players having it on the sidelines but don't have any exp. with it myself.

I once saw an empty gel package on a trail.

(Hope OP finds this information helpful too.)
  • adreal
    Options
    I am still working on my pace and time. I do have asthma so that coupled with the cold hurts my first mile and I find it hard to keep my energy after fighting to breathe. I do not have as many problems when the air is above 40. Anything under that and i work a bit harder. I was just looking for something to help me push a little harder.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I had a quick peek at your diary and suspect I can see part of the problem.......you need more carbs. Running longer distances requires the ability to store glycogen in your liver and muscle tissue for later use......if you're not eating enough carbs it's hard for your body to store them.

Typically runners will consume 55 to 60% of their calories from carbs. There's no need for gels or supplements like Cardio Igniter (I had a look at that and wouldn't waste my money on it). With proper nutrition your body can easily store enough glycogen to see you through 90 to 120 minutes of running.

As your distances increase consider making your own "gel". Mine is a combination of honey, molasses , a pinch of salt and a bit of water to thin it out and a gel flask holds the equivalent of about 6 gels. Pennies per serving and no gel packs to become litter.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    adreal wrote: »
    I am still working on my pace and time. I do have asthma so that coupled with the cold hurts my first mile and I find it hard to keep my energy after fighting to breathe. I do not have as many problems when the air is above 40. Anything under that and i work a bit harder. I was just looking for something to help me push a little harder.

Your problem sounds like more of a cardio/endurance problem rather than a fueling problem. GU is just carbohydrates. It's not a magical performance enhancer. Sounds like you probably just need to spend some time building up your mileage base.
  • adreal
    Options
    @BrianSharpe‌ I have been working this week to increase my calories and reach my 1500 calorie goal. I also tend to run on an empty stomach. This past Saturday I did eat a peanut butter sandwich before running since I knew I was going to try 5 miles. I can see where the crb intake will help. Do you find this is a boost over a few days or just overall changes?

@sjohnny‌ it for sure is an endurance issue. I have been working hard for a few months to get my mileage up. I am still at a 11:30 to 12 minute mile and still have to walk some. I think running with a limp is going to slow me down but I am determined to do it. Just not sure if there is anything that will boost my energy.
  • glevinso
    Options

This is true. You can usually make it 2-3 hours before really needing one...and even then its not totally necessary. Training runs of up to 20 miles I will do without anything. In a marathon I will take one gel every 6 miles as a boost. Anything longer than a 50k and we're talking about introducing solid food, which is a whole other thing. For a 10k or a half...they are pretty unnecessary. Its not like its going to hurt you, but its not needed.

Even though for runs up to 20 miles I don't *need* the gel, I use one every 5-6 miles anyway. It is part of the training.

For 5+ hour events I start training the 300cal/hour thing because it can be hard to take in that many calories at that rate while exerting. For that I use Hammer Perpetuem in powder form made into a thick slurry. 1000 calories in a standard bike bottle. That's all I need for the bike leg of a Half Iron. For a full Iron race I'll carry another 1000 calories of gels in a bento box on the bike. Then in T2 I always keep more gels to put in my pocket once running. 4 of them for a half, 9 for a full.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love GUs! I have one approximately every 45 minutes while running (so if you're running 11-12 minute miles, that sounds like about every 4 miles!). I don't eat a ton of carbs in my daily diet, so I definitely feel that I need to consume energy gels with this frequency.

It's very individual. Don't know why everyone on here is saying that just because they don't need them, or they do their fueling differently, you should too.

Here's an article for you! http://running.competitor.com/2014/07/nutrition/everything-you-need-to-know-about-energy-gels_44642/1
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

Even though for runs up to 20 miles I don't *need* the gel, I use one every 5-6 miles anyway. It is part of the training.

For 5+ hour events I start training the 300cal/hour thing because it can be hard to take in that many calories at that rate while exerting. For that I use Hammer Perpetuem in powder form made into a thick slurry. 1000 calories in a standard bike bottle. That's all I need for the bike leg of a Half Iron. For a full Iron race I'll carry another 1000 calories of gels in a bento box on the bike. Then in T2 I always keep more gels to put in my pocket once running. 4 of them for a half, 9 for a full.

Yeah, for marathons I run fasted (but only because I've done enough that I know how my system reacts to the gels - and I only ever use one kind). For ultra training I will eat more, a gel every 45 minutes, or some other food (often Red Vines, or a slurry I make of peanut butter, honey, and mashed bananas that I carry in a pastry bag and just squeeze into my mouth) and Hammer Perpetuem as well, although the most I can handle is 2 scoops in my handheld. I've always had problems with solid food and running, but it is getting better.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I have never been able to do solid while moving. Well anything more solid than those Cliff Blocks or Gu Chomp things. 2 scoops of Perpetuem is only 270 calories. I will put in (ugh) 8... Getting about 1000 calories in there. It doesn't taste very good, but it's the most compact way I know of getting that many calories in a format I can consume while riding.