Butter Vs. Margarine

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Butter. They have the same calories and fat per gram so why not go with something that tastes good?

so does lard, so why not use lard? or duck fat

Because they don't taste as good spread on toast or melted over veggies.

As far as baking, lard makes the best pie crust and suet is wonderful in steamed puddings. Haven't used duck fat for anything.

• laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Neither. Any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy. It's kind of like which is better Oreos or pure sugar. Neither. Eat fruit in that case. In this case no fats - just whatever is present in food naturally but if you must, choose a cold pressed oil. It should say expeller pressed on the label otherwise it will be processed and very unhealthy.
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The quote about fake food being a tool of Satan is interesting considering the only 'real' food is that which just came directly from the plant. Of which butter did not.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Neither. Any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy. It's kind of like which is better Oreos or pure sugar. Neither. Eat fruit in that case. In this case no fats - just whatever is present in food naturally but if you must, choose a cold pressed oil. It should say expeller pressed on the label otherwise it will be processed and very unhealthy.

Nope. random evil food list monger.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Butter is so much better. I make my own sometimes.

I've read that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. ...

And I've read that humans have only a 3% genetic difference from a banana...what's your point?
    Lmao! This explains so much about some of the people I work with :D
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Gharley64 wrote: »

Air is one molecule from being water. A molecule can make a lot of difference.

I don't eat either.

This shows even a poorer understanding of chemistry than the ridiculous plastic statement if that's even possible.
    Air is a mixture. It's not even a molecule. It's a mixture of primarily molecular gases...sheesh.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Omg ok guys. Your point has been taken, I believe you.
    And no, I didn't even take chemistry in school. If I remember correctly, it was an elective subject, not mandatory (Australia)
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Butter is just the yums... but if margarine it must be I prefer country crock
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've said this on another thread, but I was raised on margarine growing up. Every time we'd go to the Cheesecake Factory, I'd wonder why their butter tasted so much better than ours. I made the switch to butter when I finally realized they were two different fats and never looked back.

I do like Land O' Lakes Honey Butter spread though.
  • nerdburglar13
    Options
    Ooo lard is good, too. Yum! I save all my bacon drippings to make refried beans, breakfast potatoes, and gravy with. There is no comparison.
  • br0hammer
    br0hammer Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Butter for me
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Gharley64 wrote: »

Air is one molecule from being water. A molecule can make a lot of difference.

I don't eat either.

This shows even a poorer understanding of chemistry than the ridiculous plastic statement if that's even possible.
    Air is a mixture. It's not even a molecule. It's a mixture of primarily molecular gases...sheesh.

Exactly. Thank you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've said this on another thread, but I was raised on margarine growing up. Every time we'd go to the Cheesecake Factory, I'd wonder why their butter tasted so much better than ours. I made the switch to butter when I finally realized they were two different fats and never looked back.

I do like Land O' Lakes Honey Butter spread though.

Oh me too! I didn't even taste butter until I was an adult. I have never looked back. I think I found nirvana the first time I had real buttercream.

Sometimes I still use light margarine when cooking for my husband because he'd prefer to have the lower calories, but for me it's worth it to have butter every time.
  • nerdburglar13
    Options
    So many chemistry experts eager to bite poor Christine's head off and freely hand away all of their hard-earned knowledge on one this one little thread... who knew!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Butter, every time. Preferably fresh and local.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    The quote about fake food being a tool of Satan is interesting considering the only 'real' food is that which just came directly from the plant. Of which butter did not.

Well that's partly because there's no such thing as a butter plant..

If there were such a thing I'd plant my entire backyard with it and never pay $5/lb for butter again. *nods*
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Who knew that butter vs margarine was such a hot topic?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    And now I'm wondering if I just had the wrong kind of butter. Maybe I should try again.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Who knew that butter vs margarine was such a hot topic?
    My parents will defend margarine to the death.