What is the 1200 calorie based on?

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Gia- There is a strong belief here that losing slower retains muscle and that is everyone's number one priority (or should be). I know it's not everyone's and I believe that you can't really make a huge difference in what type of tissue you lose when comparing two shallow deficits, but that's just based on my own reading. It's not like losing 1/4 lb. a week is a guarantee it's all fat and losing a 1/2 lb. is all muscle, which is what many attitudes here seem to imply. The medical community considers either a safe rate of loss.

The problem is that she's trying to lose enough weight to get her down to an unhealthy BMI of <18.5, and she wants to do it so quickly that she's limiting herself to 900 calories per day.

A healthy rate of loss is all relative; faster absolute numbers for larger people can be perfectly healthy. Whereas someone who is of a healthy weight who is borderline starving herself in an attempt to become underweight is not losing at a healthy rate no matter how quickly or slowly she's going.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    As an older, shorter person who is netting between 1100 and 1200 a day (I eat back exercise calories), it is a struggle to meet my protein macros, and I take a multivitamin and other supplements to cover all my bases. I find it hard to believe that a young, active person could be adequately nourished at under 1000 calories a day. Even at my age, I was having some side effects, such as nails breaking, constipation (from inadequate fat intake), and fatigue. These young women are going to incur some long-term consequences in the pursuit of basically losing "vanity weight."

Well said for sure!

Sorry to hear it's a struggle for you! I cannot relate at all - I'm a 5'10 woman with a solid frame, no one will ever say I'm petite . . . but I can say being a bigger woman also has its struggles.

:)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Gia- There is a strong belief here that losing slower retains muscle and that is everyone's number one priority (or should be). I know it's not everyone's and I believe that you can't really make a huge difference in what type of tissue you lose when comparing two shallow deficits, but that's just based on my own reading. It's not like losing 1/4 lb. a week is a guarantee it's all fat and losing a 1/2 lb. is all muscle, which is what many attitudes here seem to imply. The medical community considers either a safe rate of loss.

The problem is that she's trying to lose enough weight to get her down to an unhealthy BMI of <18.5, and she wants to do it so quickly that she's limiting herself to 900 calories per day.
    I think her goal puts her at the very bottom of 'healthy BMI', which isn't my thing but she appears to be an adult, so I'm not going to judge. Same with 900, since either she's an outlier in calorie burns or underestimating intake, or both. And we all do that latter.

I just am tired of the advice that "an extremely shallow deficit is the ONLY RIGHT deficit, for anyone with X or less pounds to lose." She said x lbs/month doesn't suit her goals. Who knows what her goals are.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Go to Scooby Workshop Calculator and figure out your TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Take a 10% deficit (because you don't need to lose much weight).

OR - just keep lifting heavy weights while eating at TDEE to do a body recomp.
  • curiouscreaturee
    curiouscreaturee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Literally 1200 calories is fine. The thing I've found most affective is 8+ cups of water a day (I usually aim for 12) and no carbs; breads, rice, crackers, etc.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I don't think it would be possible to get required nutrition (fat and protein) on 600 cals/day. Think if you need 80 grams protein that would be 320 cals, and 40 grams of fat, would be another 360 cals for 680 and you may not have gotten any micros (vitamins and minerals) in those 680 cals.. and most of us should be getting more fat and protein I included above.

You are calculating macro-nutrients which provide energy. The entire procedure of weight loss involves restricting your energy-providing macro-nutrient intake so that you cannibalize your own reserves. If you are suggesting we should eat exactly what we are burning, then nobody would ever lose any weight.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I find it sad that there are people here that seem to justify what the OP does or want.

OP is 5.0 tall at this moment 113 pound and want to loose 11 pound

She goes for 1200 to 1300 calories ( now if we must believe it) And next to that she trains a couple hours a day!

What ever is proven or not proven scientifically to be the right amount to stay alive without damaging your body in the wrong run. The thoughts she has is wrong!
    She has a history of ED ( she stated that her self in her first post)

And than there are people here that justify what she does???

Come on think people even when 1200 is enough ( or not) Don't encourage this kinda of eating disorders and young people.

She is at a healthy weight has a beautiful body and dont need people in here encouraging her to lose more weight!
    Maybe she wants body toning ( which i understand and always will encourage) But losing weight is ridiculous.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Nobody's attacking you, gia. It's just that what you've said doesn't make reasonable sense.

It's apparently a thing though, that by commenting you're fighting with them. I really didn't know that until today.

Nice, I've been missing some silly derp comments. lol.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I think her goal puts her at the very bottom of 'healthy BMI', which isn't my thing but she appears to be an adult, so I'm not going to judge. Same with 900, since either she's an outlier in calorie burns or underestimating intake, or both. And we all do that latter.

I just am tired of the advice that "an extremely shallow deficit is the ONLY RIGHT deficit, for anyone with X or less pounds to lose." She said x lbs/month doesn't suit her goals. Who knows what her goals are.

First, I was not giving advice.
    Second, I just stated I was confused by the 1200 calorie question
    Third, I do not have a large deficit
    Fourth You do not know my goals or anything else except I want to lose 10 lbs.
    Fifth BMI between 19 and 20 is not unhealthy if you are 21.8 BMI now.

I got attacked pretty hard here!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Guys, us shorties need less food. I am 5"1". My TDEE - 20% - 1036 calories. If I eat over this, I gain weight. If I want to lose, I have to stick to about 900 to 950 a day and it it really slow. No way I can eat 1200 calories a day.

And I only have 1" on you for height, my TDEE is 2200. Everyone is different. I move A LOT ☺
    I can lose eating 1600-1800 cals a day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Guys, us shorties need less food. I am 5"1". My TDEE - 20% - 1036 calories. If I eat over this, I gain weight. If I want to lose, I have to stick to about 900 to 950 a day and it it really slow. No way I can eat 1200 calories a day.

And I only have 1" on you for height, my TDEE is 2200. Everyone is different. I move A LOT ☺

geez I wish! I'm 5"8 and my tdee is 1540ish calories. I don't exercise though.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I think the basic 1200 is if you just exist on the couch 24/7. I haven't seen any publications on it. I'm sure if you are into some research you might try google scholar as a google means. I tried 1200 cals and I can't lose at that weight. If I up it to 14-1500 I can. And I feel better. I get zapped at 1200. And I really want to build endurance to must up the calories. Take care of yourself.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Do you plead da fif?

Fif?

fif-o.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Do you plead da fif?

Fif?

fif-o.gif

F-I-F Fif!

• bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Who knows? I guess if it works for you and you don't suffer any negative side effects. I'm a 6ft 280 lb male and I start gaining in 1200-1500 range. I am on a break from trying to lose for a while. I have been eating 2000 calories per day and set to regain months of weight loss in less than two weeks.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

You might want to re-read. I was defending you, not attacking you. That whole post you just replied to point by point was my comment to the person who ridiculed your goals, not to you.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

geez I wish! I'm 5"8 and my tdee is 1540ish calories. I don't exercise though.

that's your answer then :/ I love to eat and I enjoy all the calories I get so I am very happy to exercise - and my body is lean and strong which is a great side effect from all the workouts :) give it a go? you'll be glad you did :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    Who knows? I guess if it works for you and you don't suffer any negative side effects. I'm a 6ft 280 lb male and I start gaining in 1200-1500 range. I am on a break from trying to lose for a while. I have been eating 2000 calories per day and set to regain months of weight loss in less than two weeks.

I had an unusually similar experience last year, with the exception that I would not gain at 2k. I'm about 5'7" and was around 185 lbs. I was losing at a slow pace, which is good for me, but I got frustrated and thought I would cut calories further in order to increase weight loss speed. So I cut back my calorie intake from 1.9k to 1.5k in hopes of losing faster. What actually happened is that I started gaining weight... fast. After 3 weeks of consistent gains, I returned to the original 1.9k and started losing again. Some have and will continue to call me a liar, but that is what really happened to me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

It is extremely unlikely that a 29 year old male would gain weight eating 1500 calories. Under 2000 calories for that matter. You are likely eating more than you think.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

You may want to talk to a doctor about that. At 6ft, 280 and 29yrs old, you should be losing at anything under 2800-3K