Options

Replies

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Neither. Any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy. It's kind of like which is better Oreos or pure sugar. Neither. Eat fruit in that case. In this case no fats - just whatever is present in food naturally but if you must, choose a cold pressed oil. It should say expeller pressed on the label otherwise it will be processed and very unhealthy.

Coconut oil? It's solid at room temp.

Mmmmmmmm, yes it does, but if it get warmer, it liquifies pretty quick.

Yes, as do most things composed almost entirely of fat.

If your interested? Quick read
    http://mobile.eatingwell.com/blogs/health_blog/is_coconut_oil_healthier_than_butter
    I'm not sure if you're intentionally missing my point, or what you're doing, but I'm not looking for information on coconut oil. I'm aware of its properties and I mentioned it because a previous poster (who I originally quoted) made a rather absurd statement that "any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy". I countered his point by mentioning coconut oil, which is a fat product that hippies seem to go nuts (hah!) over, and is solid at room temp.

Lol, are you calling me a hippie? Lol no I just posted that cause I found it interesting, the article actually concludes that olive oil is better than both, but that's one journalist's opinion.

Hippie's cute. I haven't been called that yet.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    Butter
    or sometimes I use Smart Balance Olive Oil Spread (delish and can be cooked with too). I also love the Smart Balance Olive Oil 'Mayo' as well. Great taste and doesn't take much to give it a bit of zing. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    ^^it's getting very annoying.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Neither. Any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy. It's kind of like which is better Oreos or pure sugar. Neither. Eat fruit in that case. In this case no fats - just whatever is present in food naturally but if you must, choose a cold pressed oil. It should say expeller pressed on the label otherwise it will be processed and very unhealthy.

http://mobile.eatingwell.com/blogs/health_blog/is_coconut_oil_healthier_than_butter
    I'm not sure if you're intentionally missing my point, or what you're doing, but I'm not looking for information on coconut oil. I'm aware of its properties and I mentioned it because a previous poster (who I originally quoted) made a rather absurd statement that "any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy". I countered his point by mentioning coconut oil, which is a fat product that hippies seem to go nuts (hah!) over, and is solid at room temp.

Lol, are you calling me a hippie? Lol no I just posted that cause I found it interesting, the article actually concludes that olive oil is better than both, but that's one journalist's opinion.

She didn't call you a hippie at all, dude.

Also, when you type "lol" - are you *actually* laughing out loud, or no?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I still vote for butter !
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Chlo92x wrote: »
    Is butter better for you than margarine?
    I have heard a lot of bad things about margarine and trans fats etc.
    Is full fat butter worth the 'fat content' ?

Opinions?

Why would someone hate themselves so much as to eat margarine?

I mean, I understand self hate, and punishment, but that's extreme. Might as well just cut yourself.
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options

She didn't call you a hippie at all, dude.

Also, when you type "lol" - are you *actually* laughing out loud, or no?

Wow, I think people need to chill out,
    All this poor girl asked was butter or margarine? Who cares really? Is it going to change your world if the outcome is one or the other?

Yes I did laugh out loud, I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, I don't have all the answers and for the people who think they do, what the hell are they doing on these boards? They should be writing a best seller or something.

And emily, I was laughing about it, it takes a lot to put me down, I even have a Taco Bell dog following me around everywhere I go which I think is very cute.
  • shrez
    shrez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Butter is so much better. I make my own sometimes.

I've read that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. ...

I heard this too and have not eaten margarine since!

• dbmata
    Options

Foie gras fat is solid at room temp. It's delicious and good for you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Opinions?

I mean, I understand self hate, and punishment, but that's extreme. Might as well just cut yourself.
    For those less passionate on the B v M thing, there just isn't a tremendous difference and margarine can be spread easily, right out of the fridge.

The only time it ever made any difference to me was with corncob corn.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Opinions?

For those less passionate on the B v M thing, there just isn't a tremendous difference and margarine can be spread easily, right out of the fridge.

I mean, I guess. Although whipped butter is simple to make, as is a beurre monte, which is even better than margarine OR butter for things like corn on the cob.

Margarine just tastes off, like a bad beer.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Opinions?

I mean, I guess. Although whipped butter is simple to make, as is a beurre monte, which is even better than margarine OR butter for things like corn on the cob.

Margarine just tastes off, like a bad beer.
    If you have a strong preference, that's totally what you should eat. I could always tell the difference between butter and parka-ay. Just never cared a whole lot, either way. Coke and Pepsi, strong preference. Heinz v Hunts, yes. Butter and margarine, not really.

I'm not a beer fan and will take your word on that. :)

I'm always so impressed by people who make butter and stuff. Props to all who do.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Trust me, making butter is a silly endeavor. Lots of good butter to be bought, without the wasted time. LOL. I can do it because I have a good selection of bacteria for getting some flavor into that cream, but why whack it up when I can keep it as creme fraiche? ;)

Coke vs. Pepsi, huge taste difference. Heinz and Hunts, totally.
    Pref: Coke and Heinz.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Pepsi is what you buy when they don't have coke! Even then, I hate the the taste. Reminds me of flat coke