• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Aaahh ana, always the voice of reason :) xx
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Aaahh ana, always the voice of reason :) xx

I actually love cheese on broccoli now too, so a plateful of broccoli many times a day would be a terrible idea lol. Always need to consider total context of eating habits, since the individual item might be fine even in a large quantity.. but if you've already reached your caloric goals then eating a 200 calorie plate of veggies sure doesn't help!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    None; track and weigh everything. Nothing is "unlimited" when pursuing a lifestyle change.
    Why do people assume their own rules are the only way to lose weight? I see nothing wrong with allowing yourself unlimited vegetables, if that's your preference. People don't get fat overeating broccoli.

They do if eating platefuls of broccoli multiply times a day leads to increasing their caloric intake enough to be at or above maintenance. And since most people don't just eat broccoli all day and must account for all food they eat, over-eating could still easily happen if someone eats an unlimited amount of veggies.

I dare you to eat enough platefuls of broccoli multiple times a day to put you over your calorie limit.

my thoughts exactly! I've never heard of anyone becoming overweight by eating fruit and veggies

In my years on WW, I saw quite a few women who stopped losing and even gained because they bought into the "Fruit is 0 points" rhetoric and just chowed down on bananas, berries and flesh fruit all day. The calories can really add up.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    None; track and weigh everything. Nothing is "unlimited" when pursuing a lifestyle change.
    Why do people assume their own rules are the only way to lose weight? I see nothing wrong with allowing yourself unlimited vegetables, if that's your preference. People don't get fat overeating broccoli.

They do if eating platefuls of broccoli multiply times a day leads to increasing their caloric intake enough to be at or above maintenance. And since most people don't just eat broccoli all day and must account for all food they eat, over-eating could still easily happen if someone eats an unlimited amount of veggies.

I dare you to eat enough platefuls of broccoli multiple times a day to put you over your calorie limit.

Potatoes are quite calorie dense, and could be a calorie buster if you ate a plateful of them.

And I used to eat platefuls of them. Very easily. Often along with some corn, which can also be considered calorie dense. Then some butter on top of that. I used to eat large servings of potatoes like 3-4x a day sometimes! But because it was "clean" it was okay, until I of course gained weight.

But we're not talking about fruits and potatos. She asked, and i commented about Broccoli. Not cheese, not butter. Broccoli. Eat as much as you want until you're full. A cup of broccoli is about 100 calories. Can you eat four or five cups of them?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Potatoes are quite calorie dense, and could be a calorie buster if you ate a plateful of them.

And I used to eat platefuls of them. Very easily. Often along with some corn, which can also be considered calorie dense. Then some butter on top of that. I used to eat large servings of potatoes like 3-4x a day sometimes! But because it was "clean" it was okay, until I of course gained weight.

But we're not talking about fruits and potatos. She asked, and i commented about Broccoli. Not cheese, not butter. Broccoli. Eat as much as you want until you're full. A cup of broccoli is about 100 calories. Can you eat four or five cups of them?

Not without blowing my husband out of bed... :blush:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    True. But most people are on MFP because they want to give calorie counting a try. Sure, you can use this site other ways, but if you're going to calorie count, you have to count everything -- yes, even broccoli.
    Says who? Why is there a diet gestapo in every thread? Why not do it your way and offer advice if you like but recognize that other valid methods exist?

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Not without blowing my husband out of bed... :blush:

LOL! That was unexpected...
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    A cup of spinach (30 g) has 7 calories. .9 g protein (3.6 calories), 1.1 g carbs (0.7 g of which are fiber - so 2.5 calories, 1 of which is fiber), and 0.1 g fat (almost 1 calorie).

I suppose it is possible to go over calories eating spinach, but as you would need to eat 4 cups to get close to 50 calories, it would take a lot of spinach (143 cups, or over 4 kilos for 1000 calories). Spinach has a lot (relative to total calories) of protein, but it is veggie protein, so it probably needs to be paired with something else to be used effectively by the body (meat protein or whole grain).
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly! I've never heard of anyone becoming overweight by eating fruit and veggies

I've known some chunky Hindus who've been vegetarians their whole lives. Maybe they use too much oil?
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Celery 1 stalk = 10 calories
  • gotolam
    Options
    True. But most people are on MFP because they want to give calorie counting a try. Sure, you can use this site other ways, but if you're going to calorie count, you have to count everything -- yes, even broccoli.
    Says who? Why is there a diet gestapo in every thread? Why not do it your way and offer advice if you like but recognize that other valid methods exist?

Exactly. I never count vegetables. Granted, I don't eat the starchy ones (yuck), but I've managed to lose all of my weight without bogging myself down in the minutiae. If a plate of broccoli is going to put you over for the day, you're probably cutting it too close.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Exactly. I never count vegetables. Granted, I don't eat the starchy ones (yuck), but I've managed to lose all of my weight without bogging myself down in the minutiae. If a plate of broccoli is going to put you over for the day, you're probably cutting it too close.

Not cutting it close, but I've had days where veggies account for 1/6 of my caloric intake. If you're happy with your rate of loss and don't want to count that's fine, but if you ever hit a plateau, that is why.
  • gotolam
    Options
    If I hit a plateau, I wouldn't be looking at my veg intake.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

In my years on WW, I saw quite a few women who stopped losing and even gained because they bought into the "Fruit is 0 points" rhetoric and just chowed down on bananas, berries and flesh fruit all day. The calories can really add up.

they add up pretty quickly too. I love bananas, have one on my oatmeal every day. They range anywhere from 80 calories to 135, depending on how much they weigh. Free my foot!

Same with blackberries and rSpberies. No one size fits all. :)

• iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli. I I chop a whole one into florets, put them in a freezer bag with a bit of oil and garlic and shake. Spread out on an oven tray and bake for 20ish minutes until crunchy. I eat the whole lot in one sitting.

mmmmmmmmm gonna try this sounds yummy

xXx

• iamaprincessx
    Options
    P.s I don't mean it as a snack or inbetween meals just because its winter sometimes I want to be able to fill up properly instead of having a chicken salad etc
    I then would eat cottage cheese on the side for my protein
    Xxxx

• iamaprincessx
    Options

I don't eat potatoes, maybe sweet potatoes about once a month but in small amounts
    x
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    None IMO - weigh and log everything

although veg like lettuce and salad stuff tend to be low enough to not worry too much I still weigh them

If you're on a bigger defecit it might be OK to not log, but as soon as you have a smaller defecit best to weigh and log, it's easy to eat into 250 calorie defecit, even with just that extra portion of veg .. particularly when it's the more substantial ones like squash, carrots etc (note I'm avoiding the potato conversation :smile:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    what the rabbit said. Its calories and you should log it. It can be hundreds if you eat substantial amounts. Its a question of whether you wnat youir record to be accurate or not. the less accurate it is, then the less chance you have of knowing whether you are at deficit or not and where.

LOG IT.
  • iamaprincessx
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    None IMO - weigh and log everything

although veg like lettuce and salad stuff tend to be low enough to not worry too much I still weigh them

If you're on a bigger defecit it might be OK to not log, but as soon as you have a smaller defecit best to weigh and log, it's easy to eat into 250 calorie defecit, even with just that extra portion of veg .. particularly when it's the more substantial ones like squash, carrots etc (note I'm avoiding the potato conversation :smile:

All I wanted to know was about the carb content, I'm not going to go over my personal daily allowance
    I wasn't on about an 'extra portion' of veg, I was on about using just veg as a meal when I fancy it, that's all
    I'm normally way under my calorie count daily because I train so hard with cardio