Any ideas on what veg to eat unlimited?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a low carb diet?

Personally I just eat the veg, log it and dont worry about the carb content. I wouldnt worry about it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    didn't realise you were low-carbing

not my style, I need my carbs to help fuel my workouts and I've had nothing but huge long-term weight gain after any low-carb diet I followed .. so bowing out
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    None; track and weigh everything. Nothing is "unlimited" when pursuing a lifestyle change.
    Why do people assume their own rules are the only way to lose weight? I see nothing wrong with allowing yourself unlimited vegetables, if that's your preference. People don't get fat overeating broccoli.

They do if eating platefuls of broccoli multiply times a day leads to increasing their caloric intake enough to be at or above maintenance. And since most people don't just eat broccoli all day and must account for all food they eat, over-eating could still easily happen if someone eats an unlimited amount of veggies.

I dare you to eat enough platefuls of broccoli multiple times a day to put you over your calorie limit.

my thoughts exactly! I've never heard of anyone becoming overweight by eating fruit and veggies

5 apples or bananas could easily put a short person with little caloric wiggle room over their deficit.

There are people who've stalled on Weight Watches because of misunderstanding how the points work with the unlimited fruit and veggies.

• xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    None; track and weigh everything. Nothing is "unlimited" when pursuing a lifestyle change.
    Why do people assume their own rules are the only way to lose weight? I see nothing wrong with allowing yourself unlimited vegetables, if that's your preference. People don't get fat overeating broccoli.

agreed !
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    True. But most people are on MFP because they want to give calorie counting a try. Sure, you can use this site other ways, but if you're going to calorie count, you have to count everything -- yes, even broccoli.
    Says who? Why is there a diet gestapo in every thread? Why not do it your way and offer advice if you like but recognize that other valid methods exist?

Exactly. I never count vegetables. Granted, I don't eat the starchy ones (yuck), but I've managed to lose all of my weight without bogging myself down in the minutiae. If a plate of broccoli is going to put you over for the day, you're probably cutting it too close.

I quite enjoy logging veggies. I don't see the purpose of logging as being just about calories.

That said, I never limit my veggies and haven't found that eating them as much as I want if I am hungry (although I rarely feel the impulse to eat between meals anymore anyway) puts me over. If someone wants to snack just to fill up when they hadn't been planning a meal, non starchy veggies are a great choice.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Uh yeah actually people do get fat overeating broccoli. I was obese and a vegetarian. I have vegan friends who are overweight. The mindset of "unlimited" can be dangerous, especially if said veggies have any added ingredients (dressing, cheese, oil, butter, egg, breadcrumbs).

Calories in, calories out is not my rule or anyone else's rule. It's a scientific fact. Broccoli has calories. Too many calories and you will gain weight. Too much broccoli and you will gain weight.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I did a little experiment for a few days before I started MFP as a daily thing...I logged on MFP and kept track of WW points. because of "free" veg and fruit, I ended up going OVER my MFP recommendation (which is set to 1 pound per week at present) and still got the "you need to eat more to get your minimum WW points" on the WW tracking.

I don't weigh non-starchy veg, that's my one concession, but I do eyeball and log. The broccoli in my omelette ever morning comes to 30 calories and 6 g of carbs. The half and half in my coffee is only 40 calories, and I log that, why would broccoli get a free pass? IDGAF about carb count as I'm not diabetic (and that's the only reason I would care), but if I nommed on Broccoli in my omelette and then as part of my lunch and then as a snack, I could easily rack up calories equivalent to a serving of hummus, or some cheese.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Then you weren't getting fat overeating broccoli. You were getting fat because you were adding things to it. That was making you fat. NOT the broccoli.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Uh yeah actually people do get fat overeating broccoli. I was obese and a vegetarian. I have vegan friends who are overweight. The mindset of "unlimited" can be dangerous, especially if said veggies have any added ingredients (dressing, cheese, oil, butter, egg, breadcrumbs).

Calories in, calories out is not my rule or anyone else's rule. It's a scientific fact. Broccoli has calories. Too many calories and you will gain weight. Too much broccoli and you will gain weight.

Again, I dare you to eat so much broccoli that it puts you over the top. Have you tried to eat 200 calories worth of broccoli?

No one is talking about dressing, cheese, oil, butter and eggs. I am not talking about being a vegetarian. I am talking about eating green leafy vegetables.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

They do if eating platefuls of broccoli multiply times a day leads to increasing their caloric intake enough to be at or above maintenance. And since most people don't just eat broccoli all day and must account for all food they eat, over-eating could still easily happen if someone eats an unlimited amount of veggies.

I dare you to eat enough platefuls of broccoli multiple times a day to put you over your calorie limit.

my thoughts exactly! I've never heard of anyone becoming overweight by eating fruit and veggies

5 apples or bananas could easily put a short person with little caloric wiggle room over their deficit.

There are people who've stalled on Weight Watches because of misunderstanding how the points work with the unlimited fruit and veggies.
    I think for everyone who misunderstood WW while on it, there are 300 non-WWers who misunderstand it. 10 fruit servings isn't something they tell you to expect to be able to eat a day, if you're small. 3-5 is going to be within your calories because the fruit isn't 'free' so much as it's pre-counted.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Potatoes are quite calorie dense, and could be a calorie buster if you ate a plateful of them.

And I used to eat platefuls of them. Very easily. Often along with some corn, which can also be considered calorie dense. Then some butter on top of that. I used to eat large servings of potatoes like 3-4x a day sometimes! But because it was "clean" it was okay, until I of course gained weight.

But we're not talking about fruits and potatos. She asked, and i commented about Broccoli. Not cheese, not butter. Broccoli. Eat as much as you want until you're full. A cup of broccoli is about 100 calories. Can you eat four or five cups of them?

4 or 5 . Is that all? That's a light breakfast ...

• lemurcat12
    edited January 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I did a little experiment for a few days before I started MFP as a daily thing...I logged on MFP and kept track of WW points. because of "free" veg and fruit, I ended up going OVER my MFP recommendation (which is set to 1 pound per week at present) and still got the "you need to eat more to get your minimum WW points" on the WW tracking.

I don't weigh non-starchy veg, that's my one concession, but I do eyeball and log. The broccoli in my omelette ever morning comes to 30 calories and 6 g of carbs. The half and half in my coffee is only 40 calories, and I log that, why would broccoli get a free pass? IDGAF about carb count as I'm not diabetic (and that's the only reason I would care), but if I nommed on Broccoli in my omelette and then as part of my lunch and then as a snack, I could easily rack up calories equivalent to a serving of hummus, or some cheese.

I don't think we are talking about not weighing or counting veggies, but if you are feeling like eating a bunch of something is broccoli a good choice. It's quite unlikely doing that is going to put anyone over maintenance. (I think it's implicit in the question that she's not adding butter or cheese or breadcrumbs.)

Seems the OP was worried about carbs, though, and beats me about that since I don't get the net carb thing. Broccoli has plenty of carbs but maybe they don't count.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Again, my 30 calories of broccoli with breakfast is for the PLAIN broccoli. NOT ANY TOPPING. What is so magical about it that it's "free" and the cream in my coffee is not? Nothing.

Whatever. Your body will log it even if you don't.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Who's telling her not to log? Is she saying she's not going to log?

Apparently WW includes extra calories (points) and assuming you won't eat so much you go over. I eat tons of veggies too, and know the calories add up, but somehow letting myself eat as much as I want (and I like them) has never come close to causing me to blow my deficit. If I were to eat 3 cups of broccoli in the middle of the day I'd eat less for dinner, I'm sure.

How precisely people want to log varies, though, and it can work without being super precise. I weigh veggies as well as log them, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to go.

(I don't know why people wouldn't want to have a log that actually reflects what they eat, but that's me. It's also not the topic.)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Again, I dare you to eat so much broccoli that it puts you over the top. Have you tried to eat 200 calories worth of broccoli?

No one is talking about dressing, cheese, oil, butter and eggs. I am not talking about being a vegetarian. I am talking about eating green leafy vegetables.

I regularly eat 400+ calories of pure broccoli and spinach. I keep 1 lb bags of broccoli in my work fridge for lunch, which is 50 cals per bag. I can easily eat two between breakfast and lunch, which is 100 calories right there. I also eat spinach by the brick, which is 105 calories per frozen brick. Again, easily eaten two at a time. Most days I rack in 400+ calories of pure vegetables before you add in things that are mostly vegetable, like my chopped veggie soups, salads, veggie patties (quinoa and spinach), and so on.

It's REALLY easy to eat way too many green leafy vegetables when they're chopped and frozen.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Does eating a plate of broccoli count as much carbohydrates?
    Thank you

77374700.png

Weigh it and put it in your diary...

^this

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I think for everyone who misunderstood WW while on it, there are 300 non-WWers who misunderstand it. 10 fruit servings isn't something they tell you to expect to be able to eat a day, if you're small. 3-5 is going to be within your calories because the fruit isn't 'free' so much as it's pre-counted.

I do have a unique view of this argument because I have very little wiggle room in my calorie allotment. Too much broccoli (which I could easily eat... just microwave steamed, with lemon juice, salt and pepper) WOULD put me over my limit. I'm older, I'm short, and I'm sedentary and missing the gym due to a migraine.

There are other factors that might come into play. It might not take HUGE amounts of broccoli to put someone into a caloric surplus.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everything counts, thus everything in moderation.