Healthy eating kinda sucks....

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well I don't LOVE veggies but I eat them because they are filling for the calories. But you don't have to if you don't like them... although I would suggest looking at ways of cooking them that you'd like - soups, roasted, maybe with a bit of butter and cheese on them etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Things like meat loaf, steak and pot roast are usually entrees, not a full meal. What do you typically eat as side dishes?

Peas, carrots and corn are the top contenders. They have the steam fresh singles of peas, so that's what I do a lot of. We don't do a lot of salads in the house because my husband has issues with them, and I can't go through them fast enough on my own. Besides, I do salads for lunch on work days, so I'd prefer not to have a second one at night.

Nothing wrong with peas, carrots and corn. Do you ever roast vegetables? A lot of people who don't like vegetables steamed or boiled will like them roasted or grilled. The carmelizaion really changes the taste and texture. Almost any non-leafy vegetable can be easily roasted (and some leafy).

Do you season your vegetables well? Do you liked mashed vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, cauliflower, etc.)? Have you tried adding cheese? Everything is better with cheese. ;)
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Are you asking for permission to eat unhealthy? I'll allow it. Proceed.

hahahaha I was gonna read the rest of this thread but this sums it up...
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I can relate, OP, because I'm a salt lover, too. I also agree with the "eat what you like" philosophy. Just make sure that you don't over eat and that you are healthy over all. No sense eating foods you dislike. I would try roasting vegetables with a variety of spices, like Need2Exerci1se, mentioned. And, when we say "spice" them we don't mean spicey, since you said you don't like that. Experiment with herbs and see what you like.
  • Eggsweet
    Eggsweet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't think healthy eating is just limited to eating fruits and veggies, but eating things that are more wholesome and packed w/ nutrients vs. fillers and miscellaneous additives.

Taking a whole food vitamin could help you out w/ getting more nutrients. But then you have to up your water and vitamin c intake so that you can absorb it better.

Maybe you can look into vegan recipes? I follow chocolate covered Katie, she makes awesome dessert recipes with lots of good and kind of weird stuff.
  • Hyspin
    Hyspin Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know the feeling for six months I had trainer who also specified my diet but a third of the food I hadn't had before or had one in my life time and I had have this new diet with no to very little salt. Because it tasted bad and it was foriegn to me I would skip meals out right so I wouldn't have to taste it. I would rather have my 3 liters of water and get the headache than to consume bland boils salt less new bitter veggies, now I know I hate kale, Brussel sprouts, and green peppers. Others I can tolerate with Proper seasoning. But I realized if I can be on something for months and then given choice to eat it or hold out and I choose starve that food will never be a part of my natural diet.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Oh, and about the salt - lots of people have this problem. If you very gradually cut down, you should be able to work your way down to 'normal' levels of salt without thinking things are bland. If you want to do that, of course. I would - I understand people who do find that fruits and veggies, etc start tasting better (more vibrant) as they lower the amount of salt they're accustomed to, and I would think that would be a good thing.

It's actually not that I think things are bland. HSpoon is a good cook and I don't add salt to things he's cooked. I crave the salt for itself, not because I want to make things taste better.

In that case it's either a taste preference thing, or you're deficient in some mineral. I'm going to assume preference.

In that case, I'd go with your preference and make no apologies. Unless it's causing you a health problem - that's a different story. But otherwise, just go with the salty craving.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The point of eating healthy is to be healthy.

If you don't want to eat healthy, don't! It's your body, your life and your choice.

If you do want to do it and are just grumbling about it like I did, keep trying new stuff. If you don't absolutely hate it, try making it different ways. The more new foods you open yourself up to, the more new things there are to like.

Once upon a time, I'd have seen the word "edamame" and thought, "Foreign-sounding vegetable. Nope. Thanks, anyway!" Now, I know it's really sweet and yummy.

Recipes, recipes, recipes. New, new, new. It's kind of fun, really, the whole adventure of trying new things, learning how to cook them to your taste...and becoming a healthier, stronger you. I'm really proud of myself. It wasn't easy!!!

I started right where you are, except for wondering, "Why should I?" I knew why I should. I didn't like it, though.

Now? Now I love it! :grinning:

Do what you want. I have no personal stake in your health! Please don't think I'm trying to lecture or lure you into healthy eating. So not!! :)

Whatever you pick - all, some or none healthy - enjoy what you do!! :)
  • caseythelab
    caseythelab Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try sprinkling Bragg's amino acids on your food. No sodium, but it tastes salty, kind of like soy sauce, and it's good for you! Remember to do it before eating, the flavor gets lost if it's cooked.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Also a salt lover, and though I do like a variety of veggies, I usually stick to the same 5 or 6. It's fuel. Put salt on them. Or chipotle hot sauce.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind eating "healthy" as you call it isn't going to make you thin. Seriously. I eat salads all the time, love veggies and eat lots of them, adore fruit, cook from scratch, and all that. That's not dieting for me, but just the way I EAT and have for years. And I'm pretty heavy.

Eat what you like in portions that let you eat in a calorie deficit. You'll be fine.
  • retrolina
    retrolina Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    High protein/low calorie salty snacks I eat almost every day:

- plain rice crackers (quite salty) w/ low fat cottage cheese (optional smoked salmon on top)
    - pan fried firm tofu marinated in hoisin and chili sauces
    - silken tofu w/ soy, sweet soy, spring onion dressing (optional roasted peanuts and sesame seeds)
    - cucumber in soy sauce and black rice vinegar (you can practically eat this in infinite amounts)
    - cans of tuna with different flavours

Yum.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'
    There are so many vegetables with different tastes and textures, and so many cooking methods, that I always have a hard time believing that anyone could really not like any of them.

OP, what vegetables have you tried and how were they prepared? Do you typically eat them alone or in some type of prepared dish (casserole, soup, stew, pizza, lasanga, omelet, etc.)?

Lets see.....Cooked, I'm ok with peas, carrots and corn. Not fond of lima beans, but I'll eat them with enough salt. When I do a salad, I prefer raw spinach as part of the base. I despise green beans, mushrooms and broccoli. Most other veggies fall into the 'meh' category for me. If it's in something, I tend to eat around it to get to the meat, though I don't put a lot of effort into that unless it's one of the ones I despise. I don't like adding veggies to a recipe unless the recipe itself calls for that. It not only changes the flavor, but also the texture, which is another big reason why I don't like most veggies.

I wasn't really suggesting adding vegetables to recipes that don't call for them, rather if you liked dishes that contained vegetables. For example, tomato sauce is major component in traditional lasanga and is a very nutritious vegetable. Soups, stews, chili and pizza are just ways of preparing food and usually/often contain vegetables.

Vegetables are part of many delcious dishes. How do you make Asian, Mexican or Italian dishes without vegetables, instance?

But my real question was about how many vegetables you have tried. I guess a better question might have been, what do you like to eat. What are a few of your favorite meals?

The tomato is - technically- a fruit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'
    There are so many vegetables with different tastes and textures, and so many cooking methods, that I always have a hard time believing that anyone could really not like any of them.

OP, what vegetables have you tried and how were they prepared? Do you typically eat them alone or in some type of prepared dish (casserole, soup, stew, pizza, lasanga, omelet, etc.)?

Lets see.....Cooked, I'm ok with peas, carrots and corn. Not fond of lima beans, but I'll eat them with enough salt. When I do a salad, I prefer raw spinach as part of the base. I despise green beans, mushrooms and broccoli. Most other veggies fall into the 'meh' category for me. If it's in something, I tend to eat around it to get to the meat, though I don't put a lot of effort into that unless it's one of the ones I despise. I don't like adding veggies to a recipe unless the recipe itself calls for that. It not only changes the flavor, but also the texture, which is another big reason why I don't like most veggies.

I wasn't really suggesting adding vegetables to recipes that don't call for them, rather if you liked dishes that contained vegetables. For example, tomato sauce is major component in traditional lasanga and is a very nutritious vegetable. Soups, stews, chili and pizza are just ways of preparing food and usually/often contain vegetables.

Vegetables are part of many delcious dishes. How do you make Asian, Mexican or Italian dishes without vegetables, instance?

But my real question was about how many vegetables you have tried. I guess a better question might have been, what do you like to eat. What are a few of your favorite meals?

Technically, it is both fruit and vegetable. Vegetable means part(s) of a plant used as food. Fruit means the fleshy part of a plant that contains the seed(s).
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Have you tried edamame in the pod? They serve them in bars sometimes like peanuts...room temp and coated with a healthy amount of kosher salt. The easiest way is to go to Costco if you are a member, and stock up on their steam-in-bag single serving pouches. They look like limas but have a much nicer texture, IMO, more meaty, less mealy. It's a great excuse to get some yummy salty nibbles in, plus they are a finger-fidget food, which might be part of your satisfaction with chips and the like. Pistashios in the shell are another great salty fidget food as well, but they are higher calorie than edamame, of course.
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'

Knowledge is knowing the tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is knowing it doesn't belong in a fruit salad.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    I'

hell yes!!!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So, this is more of a rant than anything else, but am I the only one that doesn't actually like 'healthy' food? I hate most veggies. There are few that I'll eat and kinda sorta like if cooked right, but mostly I do not like the taste. Yogurt? If it's not frozen, no. I have yet to try a variety of regular or Greek yogurt that actually tastes good to me. Fruit? I like some fruits ok, and if I have them I'll eat them, but I don't crave them. So telling me to eat fruit when I crave something does NOTHING for the cravings I have. I know that part of getting healthy is eating healthy, but I have no desire to do much in that direction since it's mostly foods I don't like. And the 'eat them often enough and you will like them' doesn't actually help. I've been eating sweet peas for a lot of years since it's about the only cooked green veggie I don't mind eating. Doesn't mean I like them, just means I don't notice them. So, am I just a freak, or is this something a lot of people deal with? What's the point of eating healthy when it makes you not want to eat because you don't like any of the meals?
    I don't understand this.

A grown adult with the eating preferences of a kid. What's scary is that this isn't abnormal, as I wish it were. That's why just about every packaged item in the market has added hfcs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'

Depends. Carbonated cherry tomatoes are rather interesting in a fruit salad, particularly when given a little cure in sugar and rum.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'

Depends. Carbonated cherry tomatoes are rather interesting in a fruit salad, particularly when given a little cure in sugar and rum.

there are some times- yes- I would absolutely agree with you.
    A grown adult with the eating preferences of a kid. What's scary is that this isn't abnormal, as I wish it were. That's why just about every packaged item in the market has added hfc
    this is definitely one of those times- 100% agree with you.

(this applies to my darling BF as well- seriously- he eats like a 5 year old- it's disgusting.