How do you reward yourself?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Also, doing something nice for yourself as a positive reinforcement is NOT "gluttony." good lord.
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    I like rewarding myself with me time - relaxing bubble bath, paint my nails or read a book :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    register for tough mudder.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Some of you guys really don't know how to do short-term satisfaction. Sheesh.

The worst advice given my teenage son to stay in school was so he would not "dig ditches" the rest of his life. Heck, a teenager isn't worried about his career. He's worried if he is going to have friends that semester! You have to speak to what drives that person and where they are living.

Small hedonistic rewards along the way are important! I really enjoyed my one-derland party at the local trampoline park. I take landmark pictures and post them. I think my running class was another kind of reward.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    I give myself a hug, bonus it stretches the shoulders out a bit too
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Ordinarily, I'd buy new nail polish, but my doctor doesn't want me wearing it any more (I have psoriatic arthritis and it effects my nails). Soooo... I've just been patting myself on the back and I did buy some yarn. My reward will be enjoying knitting smaller garments.

Oh man - I'm with you. A sweater quantity of tosh for an XL v a M...looking forward to that!

• SamT0824
    SamT0824 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    I found it disappointing people have been so anti-reward so I wanted to chime in! I like to curate wish lists all over the internet, for example I have a wish list on Amazon full of Bento box supplies, or on Sephora I have an ever growing make-up and beauty wish list. I plan to treat myself to one or two items for every big victory. You could also take yourself to the movies or do something fun like bowling or mini golf. I've also seen people just add a dollar or some change into a jar for every loss or victory, then when they reach their goal they have money to get new clothes/treat themselves.

I don't really do big food rewards, I just to treat myself daily. For example in my lunch today I have a chocolate square as a treat, or maybe later I'll have a spoonful of ice cream.

I see the logic in not wanting to reward yourself for basically extending your life span, but for me, these are things I would have bought anyway. I'm just using them as an incentive instead of buying them outright.
  • SamT0824
    SamT0824 Posts: 14 Member
    One of my biggest rewards is new bras! Every 20 -30 lbs I buy couple new, good quality bras. When I'm "supported" properly, I feel better, my clothes look better, and I have more confidence.

Yes this is a great idea! Though if you don't want to shell out the money for nice nice bras, TJ Maxx and Marshalls usually have decent bras for a good price.
  • Reenie527
    Reenie527 Posts: 1 Member
    Perhaps it would be easier for people to understand/accept if we referred to them as a celebration rather than a reward. I personally think it is important to celebrate milestone weight loss, activity levels, or other major events in your road to health. Of course having run a marathon is rewarding enough in itself, but they still give out medals!!!!! Anyway, my suggested celebration is flowers. Buying yourself even a single rose for meeting a goal is a great way to remind yourself for the rest of the week to keep up the good work.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    One of my biggest rewards is new bras! Every 20 -30 lbs I buy couple new, good quality bras. When I'm "supported" properly, I feel better, my clothes look better, and I have more confidence.

Yes this is a great idea! Though if you don't want to shell out the money for nice nice bras, TJ Maxx and Marshalls usually have decent bras for a good price.

oh no.... if I am going .. I am going all out :smiley:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I don't for small goals along the way. But if I thought it would help motivate me I would.

But for my ultimate "you fing did it" goal, I'm getting this:

lyxjesz8huid.jpg

Which will be my first ever tattoo :)
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    Each time I lost a stone (14lb) I promised myself another tattoo, I've lost just over 11stone (154lb) up to date & I've had 8 new tattoos, so I still owe myself 3 inking sessions.... Sadly these rewards are not exactly cheap, hence the reason for the I.O.U's....

xXx
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Thank you to everyone who provided some great ideas :).

For others, I don't typically get pissed off by responses, but do you really have to look down upon someone who uses a different type of motivation than you do? Yes- losing l the weight will be awesome, but when you had over 130 lbs to lose, the end can seem very far a way. Doing small things for certain milestones is how I done get discouraged at the big number I still have left to lose. Yeah, I get it, you don't reward yourself and don't think you should. That is great, but posting in a condescending way is helpful how? Geez. Part of me is sorry I asked.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Thank you to everyone who provided some great ideas :).

For others, I don't typically get pissed off by responses, but do you really have to look down upon someone who uses a different type of motivation than you do? Yes- losing l the weight will be awesome, but when you had over 130 lbs to lose, the end can seem very far a way. Doing small things for certain milestones is how I done get discouraged at the big number I still have left to lose. Yeah, I get it, you don't reward yourself and don't think you should. That is great, but posting in a condescending way is helpful how? Geez. Part of me is sorry I asked.

don't be.. ignore the haters lol I learned some cool ideas on here too for many different things... I really like the wish list one :)

• adge1475
    adge1475 Posts: 77 Member
    edited January 2015
    I read the OP and realized...I don't? That's kinda weird. The first year I started trying to lose weight, I reward myself with little purchases for every 5 pounds lost or so. But the rewards never did any good. Now, I'm just in a place where it doesn't occur to me to reward myself for participating in my normal fitness and nutrition routine without complaining. That's not reward-worthy, it just what I expect from myself. I don't know, that'd kinda feel like rewarding myself for showering or brushing my teeth or going to work. It's just what I do now?

But dude, if rewards work for you, please use them. They're insanely motivating for some people.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    edited January 2015
    I had small rewards in the beginning, like a new lipstick or bottle of nail polish, then as the loss grew, the rewards did as well. My big reward was a few designer pieces.

First 5 lbs, new nail polish
    15 lbs, designer lipstick
    25 lbs, new shoes
    35 lbs, new clothes (things that were a bit more forgiving with weight loss)
    46 lbs, designer jeans, and blouse

• jaykal001
    jaykal001 Posts: 24 Member
    I appreciate a lot of the comments about the progress being it's own reward, but in the true spirit of the question I have a couple thoughts that have worked for others (that i know of anyways).

Put $1 or $5 for every pound lost and spend it at the mini goal or big goal. (We did a similar concept, like a "swear jar" and spent the money on a bed n breakfast trip).

For me, for it to be a 'reward' it has to be something i wouldn't otherwise buy.
    *new sunglasses, or designer frames
    *wallet/purse (because you see it every day)
    *I thought about running shoes, or something fun that would help with the next leg. You could look at a bike, kayak, etc - all those healthy type hobbies.

Lots of fun ideas so far!
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Here's mine:
    5 pounds-Treat myself to a mani & pedi
    10 pounds- Either a massage or some other type of spa service
    If I hit 20 pounds before June I am buying myself a dress from this one website that the stuff is rather pricey BUT for hitting that goal I deserve something very special.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    I don't know if you consider wine food, but I love wine, so I do reward myself with a glass every once in a while. I also try to keep an eye on the clearance section of my favorite stores and buy a new shirt, pant, etc in the next size down.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Some of you guys really don't know how to do short-term satisfaction. Sheesh.

:(

lots of us are turned off or discouraged if we get rewards too often.

for me, the rewards only really mean a lot to me if I have to put in several years.

or at least almost a whole year.

BUT - this might be because I had so far to go - not just losing 100 pounds, but also years of physical therapy, grief counseling, all kinds of mental and physical health problems - I needed to find a way to stick it out for a very long time and very long term goals are where I shine :D

embrace what works best for you <3