How did you pick your goal weight and how many times has it changed?

Options
13»

Replies

• ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight because it's the weight I was when I was a high school cheerleader. I haven't changed it (yet) but I know that once I reach my goal, I'll re-evaluate where I'm at. Right now, I'm just taking it step-by-step.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I started at 262 and just wanted to get under 200. Then 190, 180, 170. Currently around 165 and trying a bulk to add muscle.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    For me I started at 235 at the age of 31 and hadn't been under 200 in close to a decade. I kind of randomly picked 185 (even 50 lb weight loss) when I started almost exactly a year ago.

So how did you pick and have you changed it at all?

We're basically the same dude.

I started at 237 seven years ago, with a goal of 185. When I got there a year or so later, I wasn't happy, so I went for 180. Same deal, still looked like I had plenty to lose. So I got down to 175 & couldn't get past it. New goal: 169.

Just couldn't get there, so I quit drinking & boom - hit 170 in 6 months, then down to 165.

I really look good at 165.

I'm at 171 right now (it's tough to stay down there), but the difference between 165 & 175 is staggering. Those 10 lbs make ALL the difference.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I chose 140 because it's right in the middle of the healthy BMI for my height. That hasn't changed yet because I'm currently 28lbs off that, but I am going to reconsider when I get there. I might want to drop a few more or I might want to go back up a bit, it depends how I look and feel when I get there.
  • RSEC75
    RSEC75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight at the top end of the scale for 'normal' on the BMI scale. That's a 50lb drop so when I reach that I will be really happy (half way there). Once I reach it I will see how I feel about myself and decide if I want to adjust to a lower goal.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I picked UGW, it was out of considerations such as BMI, "dream weight", "lowest weight I can remember being at", "thin girl supposed weight" and so on.
    I then educated myself and, even though I can't shake a lifetime addiction to the scale yet, I do not have an actual goal weight anymore.
    I have a weight that I'd love to see on the scale but what I really have is a goal body. I don't want to lose weight, I want to lose fat. And get muscles. The scale isn't an accurate reader for those changes.
    I still weigh myself everyday because it keeps me on track but pictures and clothes are way more telling!

• lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My trainer said my goal should be 150 (based on body fat percentage according to a machine), and my doctor said not to go below 150. (The last time I was at 150 he told me not to lose any more weight.) However, I think I would be happier a little below that because when I weighed 150 before I still had a little more chub than I liked. So I have my goal set for 150 now, but I think I'd rather get to around 145. I don't think that's enough less for my doctor to be upset. I'll see how I look and feel once I get to 150 (which is only ten pounds away. :D )
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    For me I started at 235 at the age of 31 and hadn't been under 200 in close to a decade. I kind of randomly picked 185 (even 50 lb weight loss) when I started almost exactly a year ago.

So how did you pick and have you changed it at all?

We're basically the same dude.

I started at 237 seven years ago, with a goal of 185. When I got there a year or so later, I wasn't happy, so I went for 180. Same deal, still looked like I had plenty to lose. So I got down to 175 & couldn't get past it. New goal: 169.

Just couldn't get there, so I quit drinking & boom - hit 170 in 6 months, then down to 165.

I really look good at 165.

I'm at 171 right now (it's tough to stay down there), but the difference between 165 & 175 is staggering. Those 10 lbs make ALL the difference.

If you don't mind me asking, besides the drinking, what was your diet like? Calorie goal/macros/anything. Does it really take 6+ months to lose those last 5-10 lbs???

The lowest I've gotten is 179ish and it took what seemed like forever to go from 183-179. I was/am doing low cal (1500), low carb (<100g), protein>150g, and the rest as fat.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I picked to be 65kg down from 95kg...... it never changed once, and I not only got there but then passed it by 6kg. I'm right where I should be for a healthy BMI & measurements. Not put on anything since, it's now been very close to 3yrs since I started.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I just took it as it came. I started at 180-175, and lost 20lbs by changing the foods I was eating. I lost the remaining 35-40lbs on MFP. If you had asked me at 180 if I would ever be sub-120lbs, I'd say you were crazy. But here I am, sub 120.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I chose a goal weight because MFP required it. I was afraid to, because if my goal is "losing weight" and I lose 2 pounds, I've achieved my goal. If my goal is 140, and I lose 155 pounds, but not that last pound, I've failed at my goal. The 140 is supposedly the ideal weight for someone of my height with a medium frame.

I'm 8 months in and 110 pounds down (20 before MFP), and I think I might be able to get there? I'm not looking forward to the last 20 or so pounds...

I read something on a post that lead me to check my elbow breadth - now it seems like I have a small frame? So my goal weight is 126? That's a little too scary for me, so I think I'll just see if I can get to 140 first, and then decide if I want to change my goal based on how I look...
  • adriammmm
    adriammmm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    a year ago i hit 200 lbs and decided okay, this is no good, none of my clothes fit anymore, and decided to exercise and eat healthier and all that and see how far it went. i kept a personal diet diary and got down to 180 that spring and went off the track for the rest of the year. i nudged up a bit to about 185 around christmas and that kicked my butt back into gear. i got a new smartphone and remembered that i had a MFP account, so that's really been helping. so that's where i am now. atm i want to get down to 160, that was about what i weighed in high school. still chubby, but it's a realistic goal at the moment. we'll see what happens after i reach that. i can't remember the last time i was below 160, to be honest!