Overweight Personal Trainers - What's your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think that I'd be open minded enough to evaluate someone based on their qualifications.

If I'm hiring a PT/coach, then I care about things like strength, lifting routines, technique, etc - not about diet. If someone is strong as hell, they can probably coach me just fine regardless of weight.

I'd probably not hire a fat dietitian, just like I wouldn't hire a slow triathlon coach or a weak strength coach.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'd want my personal trainer to be fit. Just like I want my tri coach to be fit and experienced.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, no!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not to derail the thread too much, but I think this ties very nicely into something I wonder about frequently...

Knowing how to do something because you read about how to do it is one thing. Knowing how to do something because you've done it is another. Both have validity. I struggle with the people who completely discount people's experience and rely solely on studies, but also people who completely ignore science in favor of their personal experiences.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I know a few strength coaches who could stand to lose a few pounds, but they are still phenomenal strength coaches.

I know an Oly coach is a former professional athlete, but due to injuries and other things, he can't be as active as he used to be and that shows...but he's still an outstanding coach.

My favorite spin instructor is overweight...she has made a lot of positive changes in her life and she's relatively new to the business...she just wanted to "give back"...she's still overweight, but she's also lost over 200 Lbs.

In general, I'd be hesitant to hire a trainer who didn't look the part...but then again, it would depend on my goals and also the overall resume of the trainer/coach.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am going to be blunt and maybe that's because I AM a personal trainer.

As a trainer, you should care about your outward appearance. Seriously, how the hell do you expect to pick up clients when you don't look the part?

How can I coach someone when my main point is, "do as I say, not as I do." Not only as trainers are we supposed to help our clients, we are supposed to inspire by setting a good example.

Is it fair to ask my clients to put in work to help their physical appearance when I don't for mine.

That is bobo.

And for those of you who are talking group x aka zumba, etc.... that is NOTHING compared to training. Two different areas and two different certifications. Anyone can get certified in Group X. It literally takes ONE day. Your job isn't to train clients. You're supposed to teach a class. Two different things that cannot be compared. Besides, go to a fitness convention and look at everyone in Zumba. That's all I have to say about that.

You can read a book all day about physical exercise but if you can't apply it when it comes to clients, what is the point?

My suggestion is to sit down with a few and discuss goals and experience. Pick someone who is tailored to your needs and your body type.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread too much, but I think this ties very nicely into something I wonder about frequently...

Knowing how to do something because you read about how to do it is one thing. Knowing how to do something because you've done it is another. Both have validity. I struggle with the people who completely discount people's experience and rely solely on studies, but also people who completely ignore science in favor of their personal experiences.

I'd recommend reading Frank Jackson's "Mary the super colour scientist".

It explores what it is to actually know something with regard to studying it or directly experiencing it.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Here we go again.
  • Yogasvelte
    Yogasvelte Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My Pilates instructor is a senior citizen - a bit "frumpy" looking on the surface with a visible roll of fat around her middle. But she kicks my booty in her class - I mean, I can't come close to even doing her reps in intermediate exercises, much less her advanced ones. Likewise, one of my yoga instructors is overweight but she gives me a run for my money! P.S. I'm fit but always weight-conscious.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I know for me- if I was hiring a fitness/figure coach they better be damn close to what I need- or had an extremely successful career and still look great.

For strength/power lifting- I went to someone who had excellent credentials- and Steve was a big ole dude.

General conditioning coach I'd be way less concerned.

As far as newbs who don't know better- I can tell you as a woman- it was much easier to sell myself because my body could do what my mouth said.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Point of order: the latter is not a powerlifter, she's a weightlifter.

Darn it, Google Image Search, why you gotta let me down?

General point about some powerful athletes appearing "fat" stands, though.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    bos10fit wrote: »
    That is bobo.
    I like you. I haven't heard that in forever.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

As a trainer, you should care about your outward appearance. Seriously, how the hell do you expect to pick up clients when you don't look the part?

How can I coach someone when my main point is, "do as I say, not as I do." Not only as trainers are we supposed to help our clients, we are supposed to inspire by setting a good example.

Is it fair to ask my clients to put in work to help their physical appearance when I don't for mine.

That is bobo.

And for those of you who are talking group x aka zumba, etc.... that is NOTHING compared to training. Two different areas and two different certifications. Anyone can get certified in Group X. It literally takes ONE day. Your job isn't to train clients. You're supposed to teach a class. Two different things that cannot be compared. Besides, go to a fitness convention and look at everyone in Zumba. That's all I have to say about that.

You can read a book all day about physical exercise but if you can't apply it when it comes to clients, what is the point?

My suggestion is to sit down with a few and discuss goals and experience. Pick someone who is tailored to your needs and your body type.

This is another thing - the super fit but horrible trainer I mentioned? She was snobby and judgemental and her attitude that I was less worthy than others because of my weight shone through. This post reminded me of her.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I've seen a lot of apparently really fit trainers have clients do stupid stuff, so apparently being fit didn't really make them a better trainer.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I've seen a lot of apparently really fit trainers have clients do stupid stuff, so apparently being fit didn't really make them a better trainer.

Agreed. What does an uninformed newbie to the gym have to go on though? They don't know what's right or wrong. They just have to go off of the advertisement (Trainer's body).

• holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options

That's because literally anyone can easily become a "personal trainer". I would never actually hire a personal trainer but if I were going to, it wouldn't be the ones they have available to me at the gym. I would hire an independent trainer that will meet me outside of the gym, discuss my goals and then come back a day or two later with a solid plan to reach those goals. I also would expect them to be educated with at least a bachelors that focused on Nutrition, Kinesiology, Weight Training, Exercise Theory, etc. etc. I would want someone with a long track record of successful clients as well.

All that comes at a much higher cost of course but I would feel better with the knowledge that this particular trainer actually new their stuff more so than someone at Gold's Gym or Planet Fitness.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Depends on what goals you want the trainer to help you achieve. If weight loss is part of your goals, you may want a trainer who has lost or is losing fat themselves. If you are a large person who wants to focus on fitness/health at any size without weightloss pressure, a heavy but active trainer might be great, as many larger folks feel pressured and shamed about their weight to the point that they avoid the gym. In that situation, a bigger PT might give the kind of support that the client needs for embracing a new, more active mindset.

Also, if you are looking for a PT to help you with powerlifting or other intensive strength work, chances are that you may get the best help from someone who APPEARS to be overweight/fat.

Male world champion powerlifter: IPF_World_Champion_Dean_Bowring_performing_the_three_Powerlifting_moves.jpg

Female Olympic Powerlifter: Weightlifting-Womens-+75kg-London-2012-Olympics-Results.jpg

Point of order: the latter is not a powerlifter, she's a weightlifter.

And also appeared on The biggest Loser Season 15. Holley Mangold

From a personal point of view I can see both side of the argument. I'm an overweight(bordering on obese) person but extremely fit so wouldn't flatly say no to a PT for the reason of size however I would have to question the person who's job it was to sell a healthy exercise infused lifestyle while not managing to outwardly maintain one themselves.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

That is bobo.

This is another thing - the super fit but horrible trainer I mentioned? She was snobby and judgemental and her attitude that I was less worthy than others because of my weight shone through. This post reminded me of her.

Boom...that was dynamite. If we just had a like button I could press it instead of commenting....
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    pscarolina wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

That is bobo.

Boom...that was dynamite. If we just had a like button I could press it instead of commenting....

Yeah, I already typed and deleted a response to the snotty first commenter.