Is Boston Market a Healthy choice?

Options

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    To be honest, I didn't think that Boston Market was still around. I have not seen one in years.

Do you live in the NE? They've got close to 500 stores but it's still mainly a NE chain. I just checked and we've got over two dozen of them in the NYC/NJ transit area alone, and a bunch more in CT. Also have BM frozen dinners and sides in lots of supermarkets here in the city.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    I think I can make that type of food much easier and tastier at home. I never found Boston Market yummy but if you like it then go for it if it stays within your calorie intake. For myself, if I am going to eat out I am going to a place that I really love.

To be honest, I didn't think that Boston Market was still around. I have not seen one in years.

They aren't that common - at least not in New England. I've seen one in NH and one in CT. But I'm not overly interested in them so...

Around Boston, there are locations in Quincy, Dorchester, Norwood, Everett, Medford and somewhere on the pike (I think Natick)

Not Natick.
    I never stopped in Natick but I remember seeing one.
    So it's either Charlton or Westboro. But they differ between directions. Since Westboro towards CT has a Dunks lol
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think I can make that type of food much easier and tastier at home. I never found Boston Market yummy but if you like it then go for it if it stays within your calorie intake. For myself, if I am going to eat out I am going to a place that I really love.

They aren't that common - at least not in New England. I've seen one in NH and one in CT. But I'm not overly interested in them so...

Around Boston, there are locations in Quincy, Dorchester, Norwood, Everett, Medford and somewhere on the pike (I think Natick)

Not Natick.
    So it's either Charlton or Westboro. But they differ between directions. Since Westboro towards CT has a Dunks lol

It's Framingham I think. It's not Charlton for sure.

• Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Jimmyftw2 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Does your dorm not have a kitchen? Is that the issue?

If it does I don't get why it would be awkward or tough to cook regardless of whether you have roommates or not.

Dorms have kitchens now? Since when?!

Some really expensive dorms do. Most have community kitchens or none at all.

Wow. I'm old.

We had a "community kitchen." It was a microwave.

It completely depends on the school.
    Not "expensive dorms"
    My college started at 32k when I was a freshman, four years later it was close to 40k. There was a shared microwave.
    But when I was younger and at a science program, the dorm had a community kitchen. I think it would have more to do with the size of the school rather than the expense. I can't see a school like UConn, UMass, other state schools with it but I didn't go to a state school so I can't say for certain (in retrospect, I should've lol)

I don't live in a dorm anymore, I used to in my first year and there was a microfridge (microwave + refrigerator+freezer combo) in each dorm room and a community kitchen outside.

I live in an on campus apartment now which has a full refrigerator/freezer, oven, and stove top.

Yeah, so as much as I enjoy BM, why are you relying on it? You could be making this kind of food at home, and for way cheaper. Seriously roasted chicken with two sides is an incredibly cheap meal to make and one that can be easily bulk cooked packed away for several additional meals.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Not Natick.

It's Framingham I think. It's not Charlton for sure.

I knew it wasn't Charlton.
    I tended not to grab food from the pike rest stops, unless I was about to gnaw my arm off lol
  • Jimmyftw2
    Options

If it does I don't get why it would be awkward or tough to cook regardless of whether you have roommates or not.

Wow. I'm old.

Not "expensive dorms"
    My college started at 32k when I was a freshman, four years later it was close to 40k. There was a shared microwave.
    But when I was younger and at a science program, the dorm had a community kitchen. I think it would have more to do with the size of the school rather than the expense. I can't see a school like UConn, UMass, other state schools with it but I didn't go to a state school so I can't say for certain (in retrospect, I should've lol)

I don't live in a dorm anymore, I used to in my first year and there was a microfridge (microwave + refrigerator+freezer combo) in each dorm room and a community kitchen outside.

I live in an on campus apartment now which has a full refrigerator/freezer, oven, and stove top.

If you have all of that available to you, why is cooking a chicken weird?

haha I haven't really cooked a chicken in my life before but I assume it is time consuming and I like convenient food but I'm getting into exercising and trying to develop visible muscles so I don't want to eat McDonalds or Burger King. So I like to go to place like Subway but I read they are not necessarily health food either.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Wow. I'm old.

Not "expensive dorms"

haha I haven't really cooked a chicken in my life before but I assume it is time consuming and I like convenient food but I'm getting into exercising and trying to develop visible muscles so I don't want to eat McDonalds or Burger King. So I like to go to place like Subway but I read they are not necessarily health food either.

#facepalm.

What did we all just tell you about moderation?

Fit your calories, fit your macros, eat out once in a while.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Wow. I'm old.

Not "expensive dorms"

Honestly, you need to forget everything you have read and start fresh it sounds like.

• HardcoreP0rk
    edited January 2015
    Options
    easy roast chicken - use bone in, skin on chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 450
    Rub 1tbsp olive oil over the chicken
    Season with salt and pepper
    Put chicken on a baking pan (line with foil or parchment paper to ease cleanup)
    Bake 15 to 18 minutes

Take chicken out and poke with fork. Did blood come out? No? You're good.

Let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing or serving.

So. Easy.
  • llynn1976
    llynn1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I ate Boston market last night and my whole days worth of sodium was only 1220, and I ate breakfast and lunch as well .
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

Wow. I'm old.

Not "expensive dorms"

giphy.gif

• lishie_rebooted
    Options

Wow. I'm old.

Not "expensive dorms"

There isn't anything wrong with McDs, BK, or Subway.
    I personally think Subway is disgusting and would rather eat at McDs or BK but that's me.

A whole chicken takes like am hour in the oven. Takes like 5 in a crockpot. Very little active time.

Either call your parents and ask for help or google.
    I still call my gram asking how to make certain dishes since I want to make them her way. No shame in calling home. My 60 year old aunt still calls my gram on how to cook things - like the Christmas roast, which was delish since she listened to my gram
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I think the stuff they make at Boston market is fairly easy to make at home and probably a lot cheaper and no preservatives/ extra sodium to worry about that way.

That's why I like it because it is like food my family would make but right now, I'm living away in college so I don't have time to cook a full meal. What do you mean by preservatives/proccessed (sorry im new at this healthy thing) and why is it bad for you? It is also pretty expensive too but I like chicken taste and veggies instead of just plain ramen nodddle.

There is nothing wrong with preservatives and processed food in moderation. People are just being elitists over food.

There isn't anything wrong with the food from Boston Market but you can get a rotesserie chicken from the grocery store for probably the same as the whole meal and that chicken from the store will spread out over more meals. Financially, the grocery store chicken is a better choice, They even have some sides you can pick up near the chicken.

This. ^^ There is nothing wrong with Boston Market and if you want it, eat it, it has a lot more protein and vitamins than ramen does.

Mmm...rotisserie chicken. Now I want some. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'll third this! I do also agree that from a cost-benefit standpoint, you'd be better off with a rotisserie chicken and sides from the super market, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a meal from Boston Market if it fits into you plan.

and now I'm hungry for rotisserie chicken...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    llynn1976 wrote: »
    I ate Boston market last night and my whole days worth of sodium was only 1220, and I ate breakfast and lunch as well .

I really dont know how you managed that. Almost every single one of their sandwiches, meals, soups and salads has over 1000mg of sodium.

http://www.nutritionix.com/boston-market/menu/premium
  • llynn1976
    llynn1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had a quarter chicken dark = sodium was 670 and about 1/3 serving dill potatoes at115
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Not common in Colorado. I went to a small liberal arts college. Our dorms didn't even have community kitchens. I ate in the dining hall or restaurants until I moved off campus. My sister went to a large state school. She didn't have kitchens - communal or otherwise - either until she moved off campus. If the OP is a college student living in a dorm, the kitchen facilities could be very limited or even completely non-existent.

ETA: Woops! I got confused and thought this was referring to kitchens in dorms. However, Boston Markets are also pretty scarce in Colorado. They used to be all over the place, but now I can think of only one in the area and it's not close to me, so haven't eaten there in years.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Do you live in the NE? They've got close to 500 stores but it's still mainly a NE chain. I just checked and we've got over two dozen of them in the NYC/NJ transit area alone, and a bunch more in CT. Also have BM frozen dinners and sides in lots of supermarkets here in the city.

That must be why I have not seen them. I currently live in the PNW and moved from the south east. I guess I have never really sought them out. I just looked and no there is not one in the state I lived or just moved from. I guess that why I thought they were out of business.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

If this guy really is living in a dorm room, you cannot have a crock pot. It's against the regulations and the firemen do come through the dorms randomly and check them and confiscate (yes, confiscate) anything that doesn't conform to regulations. Most places you cannot have anything that cooks food aside from a microwave. Sometimes you can have a hot plate, but that essentially boils water and that's it. You can use the community kitchen, but you are dealing with equipment that is not yours that may or may not work properly or at all, and you have to sit down there, with everyone walking by, probably asking you to share your food.

"Everyone's college experience must be exactly the same as mine with all the same rules and facilities"
  • Jennyisbest87
    Options

I really dont know how you managed that. Almost every single one of their sandwiches, meals, soups and salads has over 1000mg of sodium.

I don't think 1000mg - 1300mg is that bad for a dinner, the daily limit recommended is 2300mg. Certainty there are things much worse such as a serving of Lo Mein at a Chinese place which I read somewhere contain twice the daily recommendation of sodium.

I think it's a matter of what you choose on the menu. Boston Market, McDonald, etc all have terrible choice and some good ones too. When I order at Chinese restaurant I get steamed so you avoid the oil and sauce, and soup to help fill you up and steamed dumpling appetizer. They also have a variety of vegetable, just avoid anything crispy or deep fried.

You can eat healthy at fast food restaurants if you do your research.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

I don't think 1000mg - 1300mg is that bad for a dinner, the daily limit recommended is 2300mg. Certainty there are things much worse such as a serving of Lo Mein at a Chinese place which I read somewhere contain twice the daily recommendation of sodium.

I think it's a matter of what you choose on the menu. Boston Market, McDonald, etc all have terrible choice and some good ones too. When I order at Chinese restaurant I get steamed so you avoid the oil and sauce, and soup to help fill you up and steamed dumpling appetizer. They also have a variety of vegetable, just avoid anything crispy or deep fried.

You can eat healthy at fast food restaurants if you do your research.

I didn't say it was bad. I just imagine it's not easy to hit 1200mg in an entire day and eat Boston Market. I don't worry much about sodium anyhow, but I do find that their food *tastes* entirely too salty to me.