Hummus, Hummous: What's Your Favourite Brand?

Options

Replies

• Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I like Cedar's too, they have some that are pretty low in fat which is awesome.

And actually, the Archer Farms (Target brand) ones are pretty good- nice and hearty.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Cedar's Roasted Red Pepper Hommus

600 calories per 12 oz. tub.

So tasty. :D
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I make my own.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Summer Fresh Roasted Garlic - I'm not sure if it's Canadian though
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Bobby's Hummus is the best I've ever had. Love their garlic and tex mex. Whole Foods and some little grocery stores carry it. So worth finding!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Geez! They actually package and sell this stuff?

All this time I've been making my own.

I feel like I've been rubbing two sticks together while everyone else was using a lighter! :explode:
  • veganempress
    Options
    homemade roasted garlic hummus.

I agree with homemade. Nothing is better than that. Its a tedious process soaking the beans and cooking them but the end result is wonderful. I never used canned beans. Preparing your own is so much better. Try this recipe.

http://thepauperedchef.com/2010/11/the-homemade-hummus-challenge-are-dried-chickpeas-better-than-canned.html
  • kitkat1781
    kitkat1781 Posts: 72
    Options
    Would those of you who have mentioned making your own hummus mind sharing some recipies?! I LOVE hummus, and would love to learn how to make my own so I could experiment with flavors. Thanks!
  • jensmith48
    jensmith48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sabra's roasted pine nut. Delicious!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Homemade of course :love:

Although I do like Sabra brand and I've been trying Holy Land's different flavors such as guacamole hummus and jalepeno.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sabra's roasted pine nut. Delicious!

i second that! hands down best hummus i've ever had
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Miss Out and About, is that hummus from Trader Joes- the cilantro jalepeno one- spicey? I love cilantro, but am not sure if I could handle the heat if it's got a hott pepper taste?

I don't find it too overwhelming.

All these handy people making homemade! I know I'd botch mine up if I tried.

Thanks for the TJs Horseradish Hummus rec, will be next on the list to try.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Sabra spinach artichoke hummus is my favorite. But then again I haven't had much variety. Aldi's Grandessa red pepper hummus is ok, but I like the Sabra better. We dont have a TJ's here (yet). I tried making my own and I failed miserably.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Homemade but I've been lazy lately so my favorite store brand is Sabra. I also love it from this little greek place at a farmer's market near us. Yum! I love hummus.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Would those of you who have mentioned making your own hummus mind sharing some recipies?! I LOVE hummus, and would love to learn how to make my own so I could experiment with flavors. Thanks!
    The must have ingredients are chickpeas, olive oil and tahini. Then, season how you would like. Salt, pepper, lemon juice are standard. Sometimes I leave it simple like that, other times I add garlic or roasted red peppers.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I like Sabra :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Here is a great tutorial http://www.dedemed.com/index.php/Vegetarian-Recipes/Hummus.html#axzz1LWQ6s4Lf It gives you the basics and you can adjust to suit your tastes. There are also a lot of other great Lebanese dishes on her site, I have made many of her dishes and they are fabulous. I just try to use less olive oil than she does because like most Lebanese cooks, she tends to be very liberal with the olive oil.
  • mariarose88
    mariarose88 Posts: 37
    Options
    Sabra - the red pepper kind :D
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Sunflower Market Sun Dried Tomato
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I want to like it but I can't make myself. I've tried the garlic and red pepper Sabra versions, but I still can't like it :/