Throw away your scale!!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I don't really advocate anybody get rid of their scale, but you should understand what impacts the number on it and how that number impacts how you feel. For me, I find it helpful to weigh daily. Before I step on I often reflect on if I think the number will be up or down. Generally I might expect it to be up if I had a lot of sodium the day before, did a lot of exercise, or ate more than usual. I like weighing every day before I tend to lose focus, and this keeps me focused. But, I am not overly invested in seeing it down each and every day.

Some people find themselves getting obsessed with the scale or having the number determine what they will eat and do all day. That is problematic and a sign that you should limit the frequency of weighing. Even then, it is helpful if you have a tendency to have weight problem to not avoid the number altogether because that will just keep you in the dark and will also increase anxiety tied up in the number. So I would say get your weight at least once a month, even if it is on a scale at a friend's house.

I do also measure once a week. Those seem to fluctuate more than scale, to be frank.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    New account with 2 posts telling people to throw away their scale and eat clean. Yep. I'm on MFP.

yea, and this thread will never get locked by the mods….

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the scale actually provides useful information as it is the best way to pin down what your maintenance, bulking, and cutting calorie intake levels are.

I find that taking measurements and weight once a week on scale is the best way to accurately track progress..

and how would measuring yourself take into account fat and muscle loss?

and what does clean eating have to do with any of this?
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Okay okay people, I heard this advice from a certified nutritionist. I've read the comments and I see your guys point. This advice wouldn't work for everyone.

For some people, this is great advice. For others, not. We each figure out what works best for us. If you panic at a slight weight fluctuation upwards and give up instead of going by how your pants fit, this is a pretty obvious solution.

The general rule is, find what works for you and do that. If it stops working, change things up.
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I find it works best for me to weigh once a week in the morning and take my measurements once a month. I eat food I like. I pre-log it and try to stay at my calorie goal. I exercise a bit. I've lost about 1 lb a week doing that. I've lost inches too.
    I agree that weighing multiple times every day could be leading to an unhealthy relationship with the scale. If someone is weighing every hour they should probably get some distance from the scale. Some people can weigh daily and some people need to weigh once a month but I don't think the scale needs to be thrown out entirely.
    I agree that people can eat cake sometimes. You don't have to "eat clean" though to lose weight. As long as you are not exceeding your calorie goal you can lose weight eating whatever you want. If you eat smaller amounts of very high calorie foods then you can eat more.[/quote]

I do the same things as well. I go ahead and pre plan much of what I eat and I find that helps me keep control of my food intake.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    gotta have my scale!