do you work out barefoot?

Options
2»

Replies

• SJSharksChick
    SJSharksChick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of my in-home workouts without shoes on. After awhile, the bottoms of my feet & my ankles were REALLY hurting after a workout. I definitely suggest shoes :) your footsies will just plain feel better, hehe. Leave the bare feet to yoga & pilates.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    i do yoga & pilates & px90 stretch, or karate barefoot/socks... anything that involves motion, impact, machinery or being in public, except class for the previously mentioned... in shoes. I feel like there's more stability. and reduced impact and greater toning.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Upper body weights with just socks or barefoot
    Lower body weights with chuck taylors
    Running - was doing it barefoot on the treadmill, but just switched to Nike Free Run shoes, so trying those out a bit on the treadmill and outdoors
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I only do yoga barefoot, or in socks :)
    everything else I use running shoes for support.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Running - was doing it barefoot on the treadmill, but just switched to Nike Free Run shoes, so trying those out a bit on the treadmill and outdoors

I used to run barefoot on the treadmill. That **** hurts! lol
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    i use only slim in 6 at the moment and on the days where i have limited time or am sick i use start it up (first level) and do it in my socks :) but for the other 2 levels i do it in shoes because the resistance band hurts to stand on and pull up in the arc of my foot, not sure if it matters in a sense however if its good or bad for your feet, but i hope not! :)
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    Google "Barefoot Revolution"
    Then check out the Vibram Five Finger shoes and socks.
    New Balance has the Minimalist shoes and Nike has Free + etc shoes.

Wife and I are doing P90X and I love the Vibram five finger shoes! Increased balance and grip and no more shin splints or knee pain. Wife wears the New Balance Minimalist and for high impact days like Plyometrics I wear the Nike Freerunner+2's or something like that. They are awesome. Barefoot without the whole funky foot nastyness. Yoga with Vibram five fingers is a whole lot better too.

Its a movement of sorts but you need to read up on the pros and cons of going "barefoot" especially if you run. You need to ease into it to avoid injury.

I just googled it. It looks like barefoot running is the latest and greatest everywhere! I don't think it is for me but the theory is interesting.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i sometimes do squats and deadlifts in my socks

i'm interested in getting some vibrams but i haven't gotten around to it yet
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I mostly wear my gym shoes, except for things like ankle circles and toes up walking. But I have been wondering about calf raises with weights. I now do two sets of 10 with my shoes on, and the third set of ten I do barefoot. Is there a difference?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

I used to run barefoot on the treadmill. That **** hurts! lol

Those callouses form quickly though, then it doesn't hurt :)
  • ItsMandeeBitch
    ItsMandeeBitch Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My BF does elliptical barefoot everyday and enjoys it I suppose.
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    No gym memberships or equipment here, so it depends on what I'm doing. My workouts are generally walks around town, often to the store and back, so I wear my shoes for that. (No shirt, no shoes, no service, right? :tongue:) I'll put on sneakers when it's cold out, but now that summer's almost here, I usually just wear a pair of sandals with good support. On the occasions when I do a more formal workout, it's usually yoga, stretching, crunches, etc., on the living room floor, and I do all of that barefoot.
  • Shadeen
    Shadeen Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't go to the gym but I workout at home and I was wondering the same thing. I use exercise videos and I usually do them barefeet, lately though I've been feeling a little bit of pain in my feet, the right foot especially but I hate wearing shoes in the house unless they're house slippers so guess I'll continue barefeet. Great post by the way... :wink: