I quite literally cannot lose weight

Options

Replies

• cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You said your thyroid levels were high. A friend of mine gained some weight pretty quickly and had her thyroid tested. It was slighly elevated and was put on a very low dose of medication. Her weight dropped after this! Not having your period for 8 months means a hormonal imbalance. There is definitely something wrong.

How tall are you? How much do you weight?
    How much water do you drink per day?
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    goldfish29 wrote: »
    I've had blood pregnancy tests in a clinic. Twice! I am not pregnant! If by some miracle I've gotten false negatives on my blood work I should be getting a big surprise in the next month or two. And if that's the case? I'll be sure to link my episode of I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant on here and we can all laugh (or maybe I'll cry) and you can all say you "knew" someone on that show!

Thank you for all the replies thus far. It's so disheartening and I really appreciate any perspective and advice.

I was just joking about the pregnancy thing. Lol. I know its tough but like I said if you are being honest it really sounds like there might be something medically wrong with you. Good luck.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    @goldfish29‌ Have you had a CT scan, MRI, and ultrasound of your ovaries (specifically trans-vaginal)?

I have not and all this talk of malignant and benign tumors has me a little freaked out!

Don't be freaked out. All I'm saying is it's a possibility based on what you have told us and from what I have seen in patients. You aren't going to get answers from here. There is something going on with your body. You need to see a doctor to get answers.

I would highly suggest making an appointment with your OBGYN. Tell them you have experienced sudden weight gain, a loss of periods for 8 months, and whatever other symptoms you are experiencing. They will likely send you for one (or all) or the tests I listed above.

Agreed. The lack of period for 8 months definitely means something is going on, but it's not necessarily something horrible.

Yep, it could be as simple as her overtraining. She said she works out for 2 hours a day 5 days a week. That is quite excessive.
  • oandjo
    oandjo Posts: 2
    Options
    I too am struggling with weight loss, and I believe it's due to the stress of being a caregiver for my husband and parents.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    NaomiLyn15 wrote: »
    Vananners wrote: »
    Have you had your hormones tested for PCOS? The symptoms of it closely mimic thyroid disease.

This! Very similar symptoms to thyroid issues. Go to your gynecologist and ask them to do an internal ultrasound of your ovaries. If they find they are covered in cysts, you have PCOS. All you have to do is change your diet and continue with the exercise. I have it. Took them a year to diagnose, but gained 40 lbs in 2 months. So, I get what you are going through. PM me if you want to ask any questions.

Not true. I have PCOS and no cysts. I have a friend who has had ovarian cysts and does not have PCOS.

Ovarian cysts don't automatically mean a person has PCOS.
  • ElizabethIrish
    ElizabethIrish Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse practitioner, not a doctor but I work in primary care. I scanned all the replies and noted a TON of comments about PCOS. A pelvic US can determine that, also your endocrinologist or GYN could also figure this out. The reason for lack of weight loss with PCOS is insulin resistance. This is treated with metformin which lowers insulin levels. If PCOS is your problem, weight loss should occur with use of metformin TOGETHER with diet and exercize. Metformin alone will NOT result in weight loss.

Here's some other ideas: Cortisol levels to rule out Addison's disease. I'm assuming you already had a TSH done to rule out hypothyroidism. Ask for a referral to a registered dietician. Do a very strict dietary recall and have it reviewed. See if there is a university or weight loss center in your area and ask if you can have a thorough body composition performed. Once you have determined your actual percent body fat - you can go from there. Consider talking with someone in sport performance/personal trainer once you know your percent bodyfat. Building muscle slowly over time together with calorie burning and calorie restriction will result in weight loss but may be slow.

don't worry about cancer - cancer causes weight loss not weight gain. Eliminate all things from your diet that are not wholesome, examine the quality of your diet instead of simply number of calories. And finally - are you TRULY and really being honest about your calorie intake? Its so easy to have a few bites here, a candybar there and no one knows right? Except it all adds up.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    If I were in your shoes, I'd find a doctor who would want to help me get to the bottom of why I haven't had a period in 8 months.

I am very regular in that regard, so if my period stopped like that, I'd be shocked.

I have an IUD and I gained about 20 lbs after its insertion. It could very well be 20 lbs of water weight, for all I know. Do you have an IUD or anything similar that could be messing with your period / uterus / water retention?
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If your doctors don't know what's wrong with you, the internet doesn't, either.

Good luck, I hope you work things out!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    OP just want to say for your 2nd appointment, bring your food log and exercise log. I have a friend who has thyroid issues and she had to bring a detailed log and tell her endocrinologist how much of a deficit she was eating at to really prove her case. A lot of times they just assume people are lazy and want the quick fix, so you need to prove you are working hard. Also different doctors have different thresholds for what is allowable range. Not that I'm suggesting thyroid medication is your answer (from what I understand as soon as you start it you have to be on it the rest of your life). Just that you want your doctor to take you seriously. Like many of the posters asking how much you're really eating or how you're calculating burn, your doctor is going to ha e a preconceived notion and you need to show you are putting in a lot of hard work.

Also the not having a period is scary stuff even aside the weight and I hope you get someone who will take you seriously and figure that out. Keep trying if this next person doesn't help, get another opinion, doctors are only people and make mistakes. Good luck.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor investigated why you haven't had a period in 8 months?

Yes, this was part of the numerous labs I had drawn. All of which came back normal. After that they told me I was fine.

So you lost it for no reason, end of?

I wondered about this also. I looked it up at the Mayo Clinic and some of the causes for Amenorrhea (loss of period) are over exercising and stress. I think all of the advice about easing off the intensity of your efforts could be a big help at least in getting your period back.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/amenorrhea/basics/causes/con-20031561
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am a nurse practitioner, not a doctor but I work in primary care. I scanned all the replies and noted a TON of comments about PCOS. A pelvic US can determine that, also your endocrinologist or GYN could also figure this out. The reason for lack of weight loss with PCOS is insulin resistance. This is treated with metformin which lowers insulin levels. If PCOS is your problem, weight loss should occur with use of metformin TOGETHER with diet and exercize. Metformin alone will NOT result in weight loss.

Here's some other ideas: Cortisol levels to rule out Addison's disease. I'm assuming you already had a TSH done to rule out hypothyroidism. Ask for a referral to a registered dietician. Do a very strict dietary recall and have it reviewed. See if there is a university or weight loss center in your area and ask if you can have a thorough body composition performed. Once you have determined your actual percent body fat - you can go from there. Consider talking with someone in sport performance/personal trainer once you know your percent bodyfat. Building muscle slowly over time together with calorie burning and calorie restriction will result in weight loss but may be slow.

don't worry about cancer - cancer causes weight loss not weight gain. Eliminate all things from your diet that are not wholesome, examine the quality of your diet instead of simply number of calories. And finally - are you TRULY and really being honest about your calorie intake? Its so easy to have a few bites here, a candybar there and no one knows right? Except it all adds up.

No one here has mentioned cancer. They've mentioned ovarian tumors. A tumor does not mean cancer. Ovarian tumors can be both benign and malignant. Like I said before, my patient gained about 50 lbs in less than 2 months and it turned out to be an ovarian tumor. It was biopsied and came back as benign.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Yes. This sounds very familiar. What had to happen with me was not *just* checking TSH, but also T3 and T4 levels. My thyroid has been slowly dying for years but it seems the doctors never want to help until it's gotten drastic. I had to have a TSH level of 4 and T3 and T4 of total crap (forgot the numbers on those) before they would medicate me! Be very specific in discussing a complete thyroid panel with that second endocrinologist. Also, get them to check your insulin resistance. That can make things go haywire as well.
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I can't say much more about your condition, but definitely see multiple doctors if one fails! I had a pretty terrible endocrinologist who was stuck in 1990's medicine which really messed with my head and body until I went to someone who kept up with their field.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Also, how about an OBGYN? If you have developed PCOS or other similar issue it would stop your monthlies and make you gain weight. Get your estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and so forth looked at, and a pelvic ultrasound might be smart as well.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    See, this is why turning to the internet for medical advice is usually a bad idea.

It's probably not a tumour. It's a good idea not to jump to the worst possible conclusion. All that does is cause undue stress.

OP, I know this must be unbelievably frustrating for you. But instead of asking an internet forum for advice, I'd suggest that you keep on working with the medical system to figure out what's wrong and to get some answers.

Meanwhile, folks replying to a thread like this: Unless you're a doctor, probably better to stick to messages of support rather than attempts at diagnosis or recommendations for therapies or cures.

In the early stages of diagnosis, I agree. As things drag on, it sometimes become clear that the medical system needs some help thinking out of the box and that's where doing your own digging can be useful.

OP, don't get twisted up thinking that any diagnosis on here is necessarily what is going on with you. There are still too many possibilities to hang your hat on any one. On the other hand, knowing the possibilities means you can ask intelligent questions when you go to your next appointment and can make sure your bases are covered moving forward and that you don't let yourself get pigeonholed*.

If your endo tests are come back normal, it's good to know that there are other directions to explore.

* This is coming from personal experience both working in the health care system and as a user of the health care system. Doctors aren't deliberately obtuse, but they are human and tend to follow certain patterns of diagnosis. If you don't fit that pattern, you sometimes have to insist they investigate alternate possibilities.
  • goldfish29
    goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'll circle back to my gyno where this all started to check on PCOS. In the meantime I'm still waiting for my 2nd opinion at a new endo.

No worries about me looking for a medical diagnosis on the internet! I started with the professionals before I ever came here. It is however helpful to read about certain labs to check for, conditions, & anecdotes so that I can use that information to do more research myself and bring up with my doctors.

As for over training - I could be guilty of that.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Get 4th, 5th, and 6th opinions! Something is clearly going on. Don't stop until you get an answer and/or solution.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post, the only difference in mine is 20lbs in 6-7 months, hair loss and periods lasting up to 23 days (sorry TMI). I went to a Dr a couple weeks ago and he told me it isn't hormones, it's my age? Didn't know at 36 that everything goes down hill.
    Went to another Dr and found out I have cysts on my ovaries that they are monitoring. I'll be looking into PCOS.
    Thanks for this thread. It helps to know that it's not all in my head and that others are dealing with the same thing. And we maybe able to find answers and fix the problem.
    And I can totally relate to how defeating it is to be doing everything you're "supposed" to do to lose weight and inches and instead steadily be gaining weight.
    Hope you can find what the problem is and get back to feeling good again.
    :smiley:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    See, this is why turning to the internet for medical advice is usually a bad idea.

It's probably not a tumour. It's a good idea not to jump to the worst possible conclusion. All that does is cause undue stress.

OP, I know this must be unbelievably frustrating for you. But instead of asking an internet forum for advice, I'd suggest that you keep on working with the medical system to figure out what's wrong and to get some answers.

Meanwhile, folks replying to a thread like this: Unless you're a doctor, probably better to stick to messages of support rather than attempts at diagnosis or recommendations for therapies or cures.

In the early stages of diagnosis, I agree. As things drag on, it sometimes become clear that the medical system needs some help thinking out of the box and that's where doing your own digging can be useful.

OP, don't get twisted up thinking that any diagnosis on here is necessarily what is going on with you. There are still too many possibilities to hang your hat on any one. On the other hand, knowing the possibilities means you can ask intelligent questions when you go to your next appointment and can make sure your bases are covered moving forward and that you don't let yourself get pigeonholed*.

If your endo tests are come back normal, it's good to know that there are other directions to explore.

* This is coming from personal experience both working in the health care system and as a user of the health care system. Doctors aren't deliberately obtuse, but they are human and tend to follow certain patterns of diagnosis. If you don't fit that pattern, you sometimes have to insist they investigate alternate possibilities.

Great response

• _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Also, you say 1200 cals was torture. I thought 1400-1600 was torture when I went from Atkins to controlling calories. I mean even that felt like too little. Then one day I said "enough" and got on MFP and did my calculations. I got roughly 1400 at that time (weight: 220). For the first two weeks I was very hungry. But then all of a sudden, I realized: it wasn't too little, really. I was just used to eating so much more.

I started eating more slowly and truly savoring every bite. Not with moans and eyes rolling back in my head or anything...just actually NOTICING what I ate. Really tasting it. And I suddenly realized that the calories I had on my plate were a lot of bites.

Now my meals don't feel too little at all, and due to weight loss, my cals are about 1360/day at my current weight.

It may just take some getting used to.

Re: PCOS - aren't there usually symptoms? I realize everyone is different and I'm sure not every woman will have every symptom, but don't symptoms include excess body hair, dark skin patches, skin tags, menstrual issues...? ETA: Oh, sorry...I see the OP's period stopped at one point.

Nice job!