Fat boy syndrome.

Options
mustgetmuscles1
mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
Former fat boy syndrome. :) Seriously I have been struggling with gaining weight (fat) for the 2.5 years since I lost 50lbs. Last January I was up 10 pounds from my lowest. This was a mixture of bulking and cutting while logging my food as accurately as I could. A year later I am up another 10 pounds and this was without logging my food and no real cuts. This is probably one of the hardest things I have ever done. The workouts were easy compared to making myself stick to the plan of gaining weight. I wasnt always in a surplus but I tried to eat based on hunger. So many times I wanted to start cutting because of the fluffiness. :smile:

TransformationJan2015_zpsb2e50b57.jpg

I am happy with the progress but I am definitely ready to start cutting and see how much of this weight is actually muscle. I am hoping about half. I know 10 pounds of muscle in 2.5 years does not sound like a lot but struggling with the idea of fat gain really slowed me down.

Replies

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    great pics, I am only cutting now, not really looking forward to bulking but I will need to do it. I struggle eating enough food during my cutting phase. Take a look at my diary if you like to see if it is similar to what you were doing. I am going to 8% BF. where were you at @ 160?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!! Can't believe the difference in 180 and 180, great stuff :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    10lbs of muscle in 2.5 years is actually really good. (will depend on experience)

My 2 year dexa scan had an extra 8lbs of muscle and I've been training properly for 5-6 years.

Oh and I totally understand the psychological challenge. FFB here too and as I'm now the heaviest I've been since I was 25+% BF it does seem strange but just have to trust the process and realize that it takes time.

Great transformation mate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    that jason guy should see these pics...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Me?
    I will say, these transformation pics look great!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Great work and impressive results! I'm just getting started with gaining after a rapid 45lb loss (only lost a bit of LBM thankfully). You are right that it's a hard thing mentally but after about 3 months now I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Seeing these results should inspire a lot of people who are in the same boat and are afraid of bulking after weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Me?
    I will say, these transformation pics look great!

yes, you…

Please take note of the changes and stop being afraid to gain weight.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Thanks guys. The pictures show a big difference between weights but I can tell you it doesnt always feel that way. Thats why I posted this in this section. I never got super lean to begin with but letting go of any of it is not easy. Some people seem to be able to put on some muscle without adding fat but I did not find it possible for me. At least the process was so slow I didnt think it was working.

"Trust the process" is great advice but it just not easy day after day. "Stop being afraid to gain weight" is great advice also but I did not find that an easy decision to stick to. A lot of people have a hard time with this and I am glad its common enough to have a name.

This is only a hobby for me so its not a huge deal or anything but its not really talked about very often.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    How tall are you and about how much were your calories when you lost the weight? I'm struggling to try to get to a position where I can try to get results like this. I basically keep hitting a wall at around 225lbs. Just trying to get a grasp on how little I actually have to eat to lose more.

5'10" My maintenance NET calories are about 2000. I used the myfitnesspal model to lose my weight so I ate back my workout calories. Non workout days were around 1600 and workout days were around 2100.

The weight loss was not linear though. The first 25lbs came off pretty fast and the last 25 took forever. It took me a whole year to lose the first 50lbs. Which averages a little less than a pound per week loss. But that is not how it came off. The last 10 pounds took a few month.

• mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    How tall are you and about how much were your calories when you lost the weight? I'm struggling to try to get to a position where I can try to get results like this. I basically keep hitting a wall at around 225lbs. Just trying to get a grasp on how little I actually have to eat to lose more.

5'10" My maintenance NET calories are about 2000. I used the myfitnesspal model to lose my weight so I ate back my workout calories. Non workout days were around 1600 and workout days were around 2100.

The weight loss was not linear though. The first 25lbs came off pretty fast and the last 25 took forever. It took me a whole year to lose the first 50lbs. Which averages a little less than a pound per week loss. But that is not how it came off. The last 10 pounds took a few month.
    Thanks. I guess maybe I'll try similar numbers. I'm 5'11". Those numbers just seem so much less than other guys, and some women, brag about eating.

I hear ya. I see so many people talking about how many calories they are eating and still losing. Tiny women eating hundreds of more calories than me when I am bulking. I wish I had kind of problem. :)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Christ!

Do you have a sedentary job? I'm only 2" taller than you and I maintain on 2800....
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Christ!

Do you have a sedentary job? I'm only 2" taller than you and I maintain on 2800....

Pretty sedentary beside workouts and hobbies on weekends. Netting 2000 is right at average for a male my height. Workout days I would eat around 2500. So to average total calories over the week would be about 2300 per day to maintain. I dont think that is too far off.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Christ!

Pretty sedentary beside workouts and hobbies on weekends. Netting 2000 is right at average for a male my height. Workout days I would eat around 2500. So to average total calories over the week would be about 2300 per day to maintain. I dont think that is too far off.
    Oh man, I feel sorry for you. Seems like fast and slow average metabolisms really do exist. I'm pretty sure I have to eat at least 2300 to gain anything and yet I'm 60 pounds lighter and just as sedentary. Calculators would suggest the difference between our calorie needs should be a lot higher.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Christ!

Yeah - I am 5'9" with a decent but not pronounced muscular base, and I maintain somewhere right around 2300 with lifting for 3 - 4 hours per week. I really envy the 2800 - 3000+ maintainers.

ETA: Great results!
  • CoachSwish
    CoachSwish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Looking great man!!! I could help you with a meal plan if you want to bulk a bit more.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Holy hell, that's awesome.