Dear Sciencey know-it-alls

Options
What is the point of eating corn with all its fiber content if its just gonna come out looking exactly the same as it did going in? Does the fiber action even occur?

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Insoluble fiber's job is to march on through from point a to point b, giving "bulk" to the, er...stuff and generally moving along.

So, you know, corn is just demonstrating to you that's it's very good at being insoluble fiber. Show off.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    BabyCorn.gif
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    What is the point of eating corn with all its fiber content if its just gonna come out looking exactly the same as it did going in? Does the fiber action even occur?

If it comes out looking exactly the same as it did going in, it's demonstrating its fiber content to your very eyes! That's kind of the point!

That said, I don't eat corn because of the sugar content in it - empty calories compared to some of the other delicious veggies you could be having!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the sort of thing my kid would ask, usually over breakfast.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

If it comes out looking exactly the same as it did going in, it's demonstrating its fiber content to your very eyes! That's kind of the point!

That said, I don't eat corn because of the sugar content in it - empty calories compared to some of the other delicious veggies you could be having!

Except, if it's coming out whole, I seriously doubt your body is accessing much of that sugar.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Agree.
    I chewed and chewed and still...
    Gotta be magic.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Blueberries do it too...
  • daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    BabyCorn.gif

best use for this gif ever. I imagine him sitting quietly just listening to the conversation.
  • fit4eva86
    fit4eva86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    daynes23 wrote: »
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    BabyCorn.gif

best use for this gif ever. I imagine him sitting quietly just listening to the conversation.
    PMSL :#

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    ...corn...its just gonna come out looking exactly the same as it did going in....

Sounds like you need to slow down and chew your food thoroughly.

• Mauigirl62
    Options
    Corn always does that. I only eat it in the summer though. LOVE corn on the cob with butter and salt... But it's only an occasional treat!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    must chew each bite no fewer than 60 times.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    CORN!!!!

WHEN DID I EAT CORN!!!!!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It doesn't come out whole, you're just seeing the leftover kernel shells...
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

What are these "empty calories" of which you speak? Is that like eating the donut hole as well as the donut?

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    bbbwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhh
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »

What are these "empty calories" of which you speak? Is that like eating the donut hole as well as the donut?

That's the only kind of empty calorie I'll eat. Mmmm donuts with donut holes.... or donuts with holes... I guess I'm really very indiscriminate.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How is a calorie "empty"? Calorie is a measurement of energy, so if you have 1 calorie you have 1 unit of energy which is therefore not empty. lol
  • millerdelorme
    Options
    That is the best thing I've heard all day! hahahaha So true!