Dinner wars: My healthy eating plan versus my husbands low carb diet

Options
13»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lwright311 wrote: »
    MelRC117 I agree. I think that's what bothers me so much. He is stuck on eating certain foods without considering portion size and total carbs. For example, he uses unlimited salad dressing which has carbs (some as much as 10 g per serving). He could eat my whole 40g carb dinner instead of the big spoons of peanut butter and even less calories.

Based on your subsequent posts I'm definitely going to recommend that your husband do some research before choosing the plan that is right for him. It sounds like he thinks that carbs are only in things like bread, pasta, etc and he doesn't understand that carbs are also in a lot of foods that he eats. If he's going to restrict a major macro profile, he needs to understand what a realistic goal is and be prepared to set some quantitative numbers that he can try to hit. I reiterate my suggestion that maybe having him read up about IIFYM.

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have 2 little kids and a husband who likes to eat. My husband and I trade off cooking (really, it's just whoever gets home from work first). Typically, my day shakes out where I've got maybe 400 calories for dinner, give or take, which is a decent amount but goes FAST when your family wants pasta or burgers and oven fries for dinner.

But, it's pretty darn simple to make some slight modifications to whatever everyone else is eating to make dinner fit my day. Sometimes I have my tacos or fajitas over lettuce as a salad instead of in tortillas or shells. Sometimes I have my burger without a bun. Sometimes I whip up an extra side of veggies alongside a pasta dish to replace some or all of the pasta noodles - and, yes, *I* do it, regardless of who made the rest of the meal. Sometimes I skip the couscous and just have the roasted chicken and broccoli. Stuff like that. Granted, I do the meal planning and shopping so it's a little easier to be prepared, but with just a little communication I'm confident we could work it out no matter who did the shopping.

And, oh, hey - did you notice that in all of my examples I essentially pulled most or all of the carbs out of my dinner? I don't eat low-carb, but my carb limit is on the lower side on non-exercise days (~100) and often I don't have many to spend at dinner - especially if I want dessert :). You say you typically make a high fiber carb, some meat, and some vegetables - why can't he just eat the meat and vegetables out of the meal? Add some extra olive oil or butter to them if needed? I'm totally not understanding that.

I think compromise is key here. For you to support him, maybe don't make meals where he can't have any part of it, even with modification - no lasagna, etc. And be willing to make a little extra of the lower carb parts of the meal, or occasionally make one extra side dish or something. Maybe leave the skin on the chicken and then if you want, you can take it off and he can eat it. Stuff like that. For him not to be a cry-baby moronic lunatic, he needs to be willing to eat what he can out of what you make, and/or provide some REASONABLE input and suggestions for ways your normal family cooking can fit into his meal plan.

Orrrr......he can cook his own darn food.
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    I think compromise is key here. For you to support him, maybe don't make meals where he can't have any part of it, even with modification - no lasagna, etc. And be willing to make a little extra of the lower carb parts of the meal, or occasionally make one extra side dish or something. Maybe leave the skin on the chicken and then if you want, you can take it off and he can eat it. Stuff like that. For him not to be a cry-baby moronic lunatic, he needs to be willing to eat what he can out of what you make, and/or provide some REASONABLE input and suggestions for ways your normal family cooking can fit into his meal plan.

Orrrr......he can cook his own darn food.

I agree. I am not making things like beans and rice. I am making things like "Chicken,leeks, and linguini" which has 40 g of carbs in a large portion. I think he needs to come up with a realistic number. Now the plan is I will tell him what's for dinner and if he doesn't want that he will get him something else. We'll see how it goes :\
  • lwright311
    lwright311 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Also, thank you to those with suggestions of doing more research but he won't do that. If I try to show him something he will think I am trying to discourage him. He lost about 50 lbs before but he was working out of town so I'm not sure what he ate other than canned chicken and celery. However, he gained it all back fairly quickly. I think portion control and calorie counting are the way to go. That's how I lost over 60lbs and have kept it off for over a year now.
  • Carsh_Lohal
    Options
    Keto is a pretty particular lifestyle change. I've been doing it since last summer with really great results, but it takes some time to learn the ins and outs. He needs to be willing to read up on the details if its going to work. Keto isn't magic, you still need to count your macros and eat less calories than you expend if you expect to lose weight. This means measuring and weighing your food, and tracking net carbs accurately. He also needs to increase his electrolyte intake to avoid some of the nasty side effects that are possible. If you're interested in reading more to support him, this (http://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/) is a great starter guide, as well as this (http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq). But really, there is no point in you cooking keto meals if he isn't going to put in the legwork to learn how to do it properly.

In our family, I cook keto dinners and hubby and kid eat them. Sometimes I'll throw a healthy carb in for them, I just don't eat it. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are up to them, and if they don't want what I make for dinner they can make something else :)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Tell him you think his' thingie should vibrate too- but we can't just have everything we want in life and we either make do with what we have- or we go buy what we want.
    -
    should handle it.

haahahahahaaa pretty much
  • lisaeliz1
    lisaeliz1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think there is quite a bit of misunderstanding on both sides of this issue. Full disclosure: I'm a low carber.

Let's start with the husband. Zero carbs is just as unhealthy as very low fat/very low calories.

Low carb means lots of fresh non-starchy veggies and decent cuts of meat, simply prepared. I think the initial problem to be solved is laziness on his part. Sorry hubby but you need to 1) do some research and learn to count net carbs, your health is not something to slack off on nor should you try to shlep your responsibility onto your wife or anyone else, and 2) you need to own your own problem by preparing some/most of your own meals, if it has to be different from everyone else's in the family.

Having said that, assuming he actually does learn what a healthy low carb meal consists of and how to track it - might I also respectfully suggest that you meet him halfway on that? Though not necessarily in the way he wants LOL by doing all the work for him. What I mean is - please don't put the meat and veggies in a casserole. Impossible to pick out the healthy parts and leave the cream soups and grains/flours/cornstarch/potatoes behind. Leave them whole, and use fresh if you can. Or if everyone else must eat casserole, at least add a bowl of steamed veggies with butter and herbs for the family. And hubby can crank up the grill or crock pot or whatever to put a simple meat for himself on the table. Steak and buttered veggies are the low carber's best friend - no bread or potato needed. Once he knows how to eat properly (according to his chosen version of low carbness), and everyone watches the pounds melt off while he is noshing on steak and buttered veggies instead of casserole... the rest of family might decide they'd like to eat that way too! :) Regardless, it is important for everyone at the table to have healthy options even if his idea of healthy does NOT include grains. Perhaps if he does his homework, the two of you can come to a reasonable compromise on that... ;)

You mentioned that 40 carbs isn't too much for a meal. Depending on which low carb method he chooses, that could be double what he would be eating *for an entire day*. I currently eat 20-25 grams of net carbs a day. I have never eaten so well as I do now, and I've never felt better. Once he reaches goal, he might be closer to 40 carbs, but again that would be for the entire day. Or if he goes Paleo, I think they eat 40-50 carbs per day... I'm not sure about that, I haven't researched Paleo deeply.

There are so many websites out there he can use to educate himself. Plenty of well known low carb methods - they are all quite similar really, but it's easy to learn and I think it's been easy to live with. He won't go hungry on it. And to think, I used to bake my own bread LOL, I even went vegetarian for a few years - never thought low carb would work for me, but now that I know and feel the difference - no going back.

Personally, I think - whatever method he decides to use to improve his health and/or lose weight - the most intelligent approach is to learn the science behind it - how does the body actually process carbs vs. protein vs. fat, anyway? How does that work? Which way of eating is healthiest becomes very clear at that point, and that's when *SNAP* it becomes a way of living instead of a temporary diet he might do for awhile then stop and gain all the weight back.

Wow, didn't mean to write so much! My apologies about the length. Best of luck with your dinner war!

Lisaeliz
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cook what you normally would but leave out the carbs on his plate. If he really wants high fat protein, have him cook is own chicken thighs while you eat breast. But really, a zero carb diet is not feasible, you'd be living off water and meat.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options

In our family, I cook keto dinners and hubby and kid eat them. Sometimes I'll throw a healthy carb in for them, I just don't eat it. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are up to them, and if they don't want what I make for dinner they can make something else :)

I am the primary cook in our house, and I follow a keto diet. I have a husband and four kids who don't. It's easy enough: meat, veg, starch and I skip the starch. When I do something like a hash, I just do two pans, one with potato, one not (I had a great kielbasa, mushroom and green pepper sautee the other night).

A grown man, who by the sounds if it, has his head up his *kitten*, can fend for himself.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lwright311 wrote: »
    Also, thank you to those with suggestions of doing more research but he won't do that. If I try to show him something he will think I am trying to discourage him. He lost about 50 lbs before but he was working out of town so I'm not sure what he ate other than canned chicken and celery. However, he gained it all back fairly quickly. I think portion control and calorie counting are the way to go. That's how I lost over 60lbs and have kept it off for over a year now.

You could always just show him this thread. Then we'd be the bad guys. :)
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Cooking the extra for a no-carb or low carb meal isn't as much of a problem as the clean up. I'd do it, but then make him do the dishes. :D
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Tell him you think his' thingie should vibrate too- but we can't just have everything we want in life and we either make do with what we have- or we go buy what we want.
    -
    should handle it.

Lol, I love your posts. And agree.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you are cooking and he wants something else he should prepare it himself. I will say though, that if it were me, I'd prepare more meals that were not casseroles or one pot meals so that he could eat some of what I prepared.

For example, if you prepared yourself a lean piece of meat and him a fatty steak or chop, it would be no more work than if you prepared 2 lean. And if you served the grains or high carb vegetables on the side, he could simply skip those.

A little comprimise can sometimes go a long way in a marriage.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Low-carb is really effective (if you cut them back far enough to get into ketosis) but for most people not very sustainable. Zero carbs doesn't make sense, as it restricts too many vegetables etc. 10-20g/day might be more reasonable, as it'll let him get some variety in his diet but will still control hunger and avoid the insulin response.

I don't think you should feel unsupportive if you tell him he needs to cook for himself.