Paleo Diet??

Options

Replies

• hollyaeckley
    hollyaeckley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I'm doing paleo and am type 1 diabetic. Since starting 10 days ago i have had to lower my insulin pump settings and I do not have to take insulin with my meals. My calorie intake is 1500 consisting of less than 50gm of carbs per day. I eat so much more healthy and have no cravings......yet. I have lost 8 lbs and feel so much better without pastas and sugar.

All in 10 days?[/quot

Yes. I know a lot is water

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    As some other posters have indicated you don't need a "named" diet plan to succeed at weight loss. Ultimately for most of us it's calories in versus calories out. I finally figured out that the best diet for me consisted of food I ate regularly, with some minor adjustments. So I still eat 'evil' white bread and pasta, 'demonic' bacon and butter, and horrible processed foods and pizza. I eat a much better balanced diet and more fruits then I did, but no major drastic changes, just less.
  • mistere627
    mistere627 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    MellowGa wrote: »
    you just need to balance your eating X amount of calories to how many you burn off. If you take in more calories then you are burning your body will store it.

So try and burn off more than you eat, and try eating "better" and "cleaner" but you can still eat the foods you enjoy, just in moderation.

Live your life and enjoy it, just balance the intake verse output.

Pay attention to that.
  • Weasel99999
    Weasel99999 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all of the great advise. I guess "diet" was the wrong choice of word to use and "Paleo" sure wasn't a good choice either (LOL). What I personally need to do is learn to eat healthier. I mentioned low carbs because although I am currently overweight, I do tend to feel sluggish when I consume the likes of rice, bread, pasta, etc. and I simply do not know how to decrease or eliminate them in a healthy way. I strive to learn.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There is a paleo group on here, come post on our threads!

I eat mostly paleo and stay between 1300-1700 calories/ day depending on exercise. I agree that it might be tough on 1200 cals, but no more tough than any well balanced diet. I eat lots of chicken, veggies, sweet potatoes, berries, and almond butter. I drink almond and coconut milk. I tend to "cheat" on paleo on the weekends and just try to stay under maintenance calories on those days.

Search for the paleo support group!!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If you have leptin resistance, as 1.5 billion people do, then it's possible to gain weight on just 500 calories.

This is complete horse****.

There isn't a human alive that gains fat on 500 calories. There is no medical condition that can cause it, and there can be no medical condition that can cause it.

The standard concentration camp diet during WW2 was 600-800 calories a day. About 20 million people went through that experience - not a single one came out fatter than they went in.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372

Hormones have an impact on weight gain or loss, that researchers continue to study. We don't have all the answers yet, but we are getting there.

PCOS is a condition where testosterone and estrogen production in the ovaries are disregulated. Energy needs are lower, as much as 400 calories a day lower than in healthy women, so the 500 calories a day to lose weight may be exagerated, but not by much. If one woman maintains at 1800 calories a day, another woman at the same height and weight and activity, but with PCOS would maintain at 1300 calories. The first woman would lose weight at 1400 calories a day, the second would gain. She would need to eat 900 calories a day to lose at the same rate.

Having higher testosterone levels causes women with PCOS to have higher levels of insulin (regardless of whether they have diabetes). Mice studies suggest that high levels of insulin can lead to lowered metabolism. PCOS is also associated with insulin resistance, which can allow high blood sugar levels, and resulting damage.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09513590400002300

Women with PCOS have altered ghrelin levels, and are less satisfied with the same amount of food as healthy women would be.

PCOS can be co-morbid with low thyroid (fatigue, weight gain), and has symptoms in common with low thyroid. PCOS also results in fertility problems, visceral fat gain, high trigliceride levels, and artery disease.

PCOS is a difficult disease to manage, many people are prone to hyperbole on the forums, and no one deserves to be sworn at. Yes, CICO is still at play, but the standard formulas to determine TDEE (like the one MFP uses) don`t work for everyone, and some people need to eat very low calories to lose weight, to the point where they cannot get the nutrition they need to be healthy and still lose weight. And they will be starving the whole time.

I find if I don`t know what a medical condition is, I learn more by googling it than I do by swearing at people on a forum. :) - obligatory smiley
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks. I definitely need healthy way of eating that is not restrictive. I am searching for a low carb (which is my downfall) way of eating that would work for me.

I have always overeaten carbs too. But since I've started tracking my calories, I notice that I eat fewer carbs by default. The bread isn't always worth it to me, calorie-wise.

I think you might find it helpful, as many others in this thread have suggested, to look at calories first and foremost. Get a handle on what meals you can afford for your calories, and notice how satiated you are. Then start looking at macros.

ETA: +1000000000000000 to lynndot's post
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    If you have leptin resistance, as 1.5 billion people do, then it's possible to gain weight on just 500 calories.

There isn't a human alive that gains fat on 500 calories. There is no medical condition that can cause it, and there can be no medical condition that can cause it.

The standard concentration camp diet during WW2 was 600-800 calories a day. About 20 million people went through that experience - not a single one came out fatter than they went in.

Hormones have an impact on weight gain or loss, that researchers continue to study. We don't have all the answers yet, but we are getting there.

PCOS is a condition where testosterone and estrogen production in the ovaries are disregulated. Energy needs are lower, as much as 400 calories a day lower than in healthy women, so the 500 calories a day to lose weight may be exagerated, but not by much. If one woman maintains at 1800 calories a day, another woman at the same height and weight and activity, but with PCOS would maintain at 1300 calories. The first woman would lose weight at 1400 calories a day, the second would gain. She would need to eat 900 calories a day to lose at the same rate.

Having higher testosterone levels causes women with PCOS to have higher levels of insulin (regardless of whether they have diabetes). Mice studies suggest that high levels of insulin can lead to lowered metabolism. PCOS is also associated with insulin resistance, which can allow high blood sugar levels, and resulting damage.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09513590400002300

Women with PCOS have altered ghrelin levels, and are less satisfied with the same amount of food as healthy women would be.

PCOS can be co-morbid with low thyroid (fatigue, weight gain), and has symptoms in common with low thyroid. PCOS also results in fertility problems, visceral fat gain, high trigliceride levels, and artery disease.

PCOS is a difficult disease to manage, many people are prone to hyperbole on the forums, and no one deserves to be sworn at. Yes, CICO is still at play, but the standard formulas to determine TDEE (like the one MFP uses) don`t work for everyone, and some people need to eat very low calories to lose weight, to the point where they cannot get the nutrition they need to be healthy and still lose weight. And they will be starving the whole time.

I find if I don`t know what a medical condition is, I learn more by googling it than I do by swearing at people on a forum. :) - obligatory smiley

The paper you cited stated that the lowest BMR average was 1116 for the PCOS group. Those women would in no way gain weight eating 500 calories a day.

In addition, if people burn less calories than calculators predict for them, that's fine. They will gain weight if they eat more than they burn, and they will lose if they eat less than they burn. Hormones will adjust the number of calories out, but it does not void the equation.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

That study does not support the previous poster's claim. If anything, it contradicts it.

Thanks for the assist. :wink:
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I do tend to feel sluggish when I consume the likes of rice, bread, pasta, etc. and I simply do not know how to decrease or eliminate them in a healthy way. I strive to learn.

But what would life be without bagels, Italian bread and pasta :) . Again the answer is balance and moderation. Before learning how to eat better, I would easily eat 2-3 servings of bread and pasta and wondered why I needed a nap after dinner. Now I eat a serving of each, balanced with enough protein and fat. Okay I still sometimes need a nap after dinner but not as often. I think you're on the right track.

P.S. As for bagels, I now usually eat them scooped.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    OP, you might want to reduce the number of carbs you eat if you find that you tend to lose control around them. I stopped keeping loaves of bread in the house, and I am just now starting to buy dinner rolls (and actually have them last for several dinners instead of eating them all in one sitting).

You don't have to do a named diet, just do what works for you. I found Paleo to be too restrictive because I love peanut butter and black beans. The overall concept of focusing on whole foods is not a bad idea, but it's a horrible name as it does not actually relate to what paleolithic men/women ate.

Try it and see if it works. If not, try something else. If at all possible, avoid paying for any meal plans or diet books; there should be plenty of resources online for free.

I'd personally suggest something that isn't overly restrictive (however you personally define that) so that it'll be something you can stick with long term.
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo. I almost never go over on calories. But I do eat a high fat/ high protein diet for sure! I've lost 10lbs by eating paleo and just adding 15 minutes of work out each day. More important than losing 10lbs is how great I feel! And I've tried more new foods and eaten the most creative meals of my entire life. It seems restrictive to people who haven't done it but it is so easy to get used to. And I save money on groceries every month by not buying processed crap foods. ;)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    A colleague at work eats a Paleo diet which she says keeps her at a healthy weight and feeling good.

The paleo diet in and of itself does not keep her at a healthy weight. Eating at a deficit will help you lose the weight and then eating at maintenance will help keep you at that weight.
    I searched it on the internet and it seems to be very high in protein (meat) which would make it extremely hard to stay on or under 1200 calories and it would be a lot of fat also. Anyone knows of this diet?

Paleo is not necessarily hight in meat per se. I guess the glamorized versions are but in reality, there were many "paleo" diets... depending on what region. Some are high fat and some are high carb. I don't think eating a lot of meat is that important as long as you are getting adequate protein with all the amino acids.

Personally I think the paleo diet is kinda faddish and not necessary for health and weight loss but plenty of people seem to like it. If it gets you heading in a healthy direction give it a try. Just don't get bogged down in the dogma...
  • janewilson575
    janewilson575 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    this is good...got my popcorn. Carry on.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Im on paleo/primal/low carb high fat. 2 years now. Haven't counted a single calorie or fat gram. Ive lost 100 pounds. Cholesterol returned to normal, blood pressure went from pre-hypertension to a fantastic normal, thyroid began working better, hair grew back in on my head, sleep better, no digestive issues, everything is wonderful. Simply put, our bodies were designed to eat & be fueled by real food, not plastic, poisons and chemicals manufactured in a lab to taste like real food. Eat real food to function at full capacity. It's not a diet, it's medicine.
  • detti777
    detti777 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    There is a paleo group on here, come post on our threads!

I eat mostly paleo and stay between 1300-1700 calories/ day depending on exercise. I agree that it might be tough on 1200 cals, but no more tough than any well balanced diet. I eat lots of chicken, veggies, sweet potatoes, berries, and almond butter. I drink almond and coconut milk. I tend to "cheat" on paleo on the weekends and just try to stay under maintenance calories on those days.

Search for the paleo support group!!

This is me too (but less cals as I'm only 5ft tall). It is not a diet as such- you still need to restrict calories to lose weight. I find that it really helps my IBS and have much more energy when I eat this way.
  • wendycdanca
    wendycdanca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on Paleo and I love it. I just dropped 28 lbs doing NutriMost and I'm working in my last 5 lbs. Paleo just keeps it simple I stick to 1400 cal a day for weight loss and 1600 to maintain. Since I am no longer on Weight Loss Drops and other support supplements, the final weight is coming off more slowly but I got a FitBit 2 days ago for my bday and adding exercise helps (and that helps so you can eat more too) so I'm hoping to be done before the summer (or sooner). I always knew the Paleo diet was the best for me because I am an O Blood Type but I rejected eating meat til I went on the program. Now only eat grass fed meats and wild fish as much as possible along with organic fruits and veggies and healthy fats (coconut and olive oil). I am also a certified holistic health coach so my biggest food transformation was adding more meat into my diet besides chicken and an occasional fish. I do miss the legumes (hummus
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I really like paleo in that it promotes clean eating by cutting cutting out processed foods. I think that's something everyone can benefit from.

Some of the details like avoiding beans and rice...are goofy in my opinion. Also...almonds are ok but peanuts aren't? This is goofy.

Unless you grow your own food and slaughter your own meat, all of your food it "processed".

No need to be obtuse.

giphy.gif

Am I still being obtuse?

Now you're being acute.