Soda is my downfall...need help!

Options
I eat under my calorie limit everyday, but I also drink one soda every day, and am having a huge problem dropping it. I don't drink tea or coffee. I need a replacement until I can get on the water only band wagon...any suggestions? They are greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    zero calorie water enhancers. Some are delicious and I don't miss sodas or juices at all. They also have a Grape Crush kind that I swear tastes like the real thing.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your caloric goals and you like it, where is the problem?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Flavored seltzer waters (Lemon/Lime, Raspberry, etc) have bubbles just like soda and might be a good replacement. I used to drink Diet Coke every day and replaced with the zero calorie bubbly waters. I don't drink soda at all anymore and I don't even miss it!
  • azneverland
    azneverland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry...I meant that I eat under my calories...except that soda makes me go over every day.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just switch to diet soda?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

• azneverland
    azneverland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Flavored seltzer waters (Lemon/Lime, Raspberry, etc) have bubbles just like soda and might be a good replacement. I used to drink Diet Coke every day and replaced with the zero calorie bubbly waters. I don't drink soda at all anymore and I don't even miss it!
    zero calorie water enhancers. Some are delicious and I don't miss sodas or juices at all. They also have a Grape Crush kind that I swear tastes like the real thing.

These are great ideas...I didn't think much about flavored water...think I'll give it a go!!

• kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sorry...I meant that I eat under my calories...except that soda makes me go over every day.

I'd rather drink a glass of glucose solution than a can of soda. And I do drink glucose solution mixed with protein powder on a regular basis, before and after I workout.
  • Firstdieteverever
    Options
    Kombucha GT synergy from whole foods. I love that thing. I cannot believe that it is supposed to have only 2, yes TWO gms of sugar per serving. I have the one with chia seeds. Don't miss soda- its a different kind of drink but it effervesces and tastes sweet and sour
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Lime Perrier rocks
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What size soda do you drink? If you drink cans, maybe you could switch over to the small 8oz cans instead of 12oz? At least it would be a start...

I found that I broke my soda habit by first switching over to fruit juice. I was still able to have a flavored beverage but it helped me break the habit. Then I cut down on the amount of juice...then I stopped altogether and now I basically drink only water.
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    What size soda do you drink? If you drink cans, maybe you could switch over to the small 8oz cans instead of 12oz? At least it would be a start...

I found that I broke my soda habit by first switching over to fruit juice. I was still able to have a flavored beverage but it helped me break the habit. Then I cut down on the amount of juice...then I stopped altogether and now I basically drink only water.

Good for you! This is also how I quit my soda addiction years ago.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. My intention was to start back up in 30 days, but at the 3 week mark I felt markedly better. I never went back. NOW it wasn't easy. I had about 8 months of withdrawals. When I say withdrawals it wasn't physical it was totally mental. My life revolved around my soda drinking. Pick up the kids drink a soda. Kids go to bed sit down with a cold soda. Go to the beach have a soda. Until I did all these things and found something I could do instead I was pretty unhappy. I didn't drink tea or coffee either. I really didn't drink anything else, but soda and occasionally water. Drinking water got SO boring I started dabbling in ice tea. I found out I don't hate ice tea I just hadn't found one I like. I also have a soda maker. I only carbonate water then I add drops of essential oils like lime, lemon, and grapefruit. I love the grapefruit as it feels like I'm having a refreshing Fresca. Very rarely I'll add some cranberry juice to the carbonated water. I've had a sip of my hubs soda on rare occasions and I've found I'm really over it. I don't even like it any more.
  • theoryofempire
    Options
    Try black tea with a little bit of milk/almond milk. I drank it for a week every time I wanted a soda. Changed my taste buds and I can't stand soda now. I never was a big tea drinker until the black tea.
    if you can't do the tea thing, try crystal lite.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

+1
  • busyemm
    busyemm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How about naturally flavouring your water. Plain water or soda water and add a couple of slices of lime, ginger and fennel seeds. Natural and the ginger and fennel calm the tummy. I have also added frozen fruit berries, peach a small piece of cinnamon or whole cloves.
    Yummy and I don't miss the aspartame or sucralose.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Kombucha is mildly sweet and carbonated and very low in calories. Also pricy enough that you will think twice before drinking the whole bottle in one day! Supposedly has probiotics, too. I also have added lemon or orange juice to club soda. Mostly now, though, I find I love drinking water.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    The average 12 oz can of any soda is roughly 150 calories. How far over your calories are you going with the Coke (I'm from Alabama, I call everything Coke)? Could you not drop something else in your day to allot for the soda? Or buy diet?
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Kombucha. It's carbonated so it will still give you the feeling of drinking soda. The ingredients are going to be so much better than what you are getting from the soda, or diet soda. I personally like GT's Gingerade. It's also very filling and helps me curb those mid afternoon munchies.
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    kingscrown wrote: »
    I quit cold turkey. My intention was to start back up in 30 days, but at the 3 week mark I felt markedly better. I never went back. NOW it wasn't easy. I had about 8 months of withdrawals. When I say withdrawals it wasn't physical it was totally mental. My life revolved around my soda drinking. Pick up the kids drink a soda. Kids go to bed sit down with a cold soda. Go to the beach have a soda. Until I did all these things and found something I could do instead I was pretty unhappy. I didn't drink tea or coffee either. I really didn't drink anything else, but soda and occasionally water. Drinking water got SO boring I started dabbling in ice tea. I found out I don't hate ice tea I just hadn't found one I like. I also have a soda maker. I only carbonate water then I add drops of essential oils like lime, lemon, and grapefruit. I love the grapefruit as it feels like I'm having a refreshing Fresca. Very rarely I'll add some cranberry juice to the carbonated water. I've had a sip of my hubs soda on rare occasions and I've found I'm really over it. I don't even like it any more.

Good for you! When I see soda now, I have no craving whatsoever, I only associate the soda with the amount of calories in it, belly fat and tooth decay.