Popcorn and Pickles

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Popcorn can be but avoid the microwave kind (especially that with "extra butter")... Of course, no butter is healthiest but who wants that? I like pickles... Especially my cajun spiced pickles. All things in moderation though.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yup, anf there is in fact pickle flavored lays potato chips.......and they are FABULOUS!! ;)

I get the dill pickle flavored Pringles... yum!!!

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I do resort to pickled items. Love my pickled okra, but the salt gets me in the end. So, I snack in extreme moderation on pickled anything.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    you can air pop popcorn in the micro. put 1/3c kernals in a paper lunch bag, fold the top down 2xs (about 1"), and toss it in the micro.....for 2min30sec or just hit the popcorn button.

you can reuse the bags several times too.
  • mkakids
    Options
    i love pickles too....i will eat any type of pickled veggies! my dollar tree store sells a jar of pickled veggies! only 5cals a serving.....like 25cals for the whole jar!
  • mkakids
    Options
    oh - and my fav popcorn toppers:

chili powder
    garlic salt
    lemon pepper seasoning
    cinnamon ans splenda (could use real sugar too)
    splenda and salt
    hot sauce
  • CheriePTC
    CheriePTC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the micro popcorn cooking tip, sounds a lot cheaper than store bought and I would imagine it's healthier with less calories and salt.
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OOOOOOH Popcorn with sea salt and dill sprinkled on it!!! I'm dying now. I have to have it.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yodee wrote: »
    Yay because I love snacking on both of those! I am thinking about buying an air popper because it seems to be a healthier way to having popcorn.

Eww. That's like snacking on Styrofoam. I like to pop corn on the stove using a small amount of saved bacon fat. Then sprinkle on a little salt, and some spices afterwards.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Yup, anf there is in fact pickle flavored lays potato chips.......and they are FABULOUS!! ;)
    Oooohhh! Yum I want.

I heard hot sauce on popcorn is good so I'm trying it next time.

Second the hot sauce. I use the Tabasco brand. It will get your attention.

I'm not impressed with the tabasco brand.

I prefer Cajohn's Reaper hot sauce, or my homemade. Much better flavour, much hotter.
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sriracha Popcorn...
    adowe wrote: »
    Oooohhh! Yum I want.

I prefer Cajohn's Reaper hot sauce, or my homemade. Much better flavour, much hotter.

Sriracha Popcorn...
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    McGristy wrote: »
    Sriracha Popcorn...
    Oooohhh! Yum I want.

Sriracha Popcorn...

The falvour is good, not really a hot sauce though
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic type 2 in remission due to my delightful weight loss. I second the comment to add protein to every snack. That might be a low fat cheese cube with your popcorn, or some beef jerky with your pickles. Is there hidden sugar in your pickles?

I get jumbo popcorn from Bulk Barn and pop it in my air popper.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Yay because I love snacking on both of those! I am thinking about buying an air popper because it seems to be a healthier way to having popcorn.

Eww. That's like snacking on Styrofoam. I like to pop corn on the stove using a small amount of saved bacon fat. Then sprinkle on a little salt, and some spices afterwards.

omg. Now I have to go buy bacon, cook it, eat it all, just so i have some bacon fat to try this with...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    when your pregnant
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

omg. Now I have to go buy bacon, cook it, eat it all, just so i have some bacon fat to try this with...

Don't use too much. Just enough so once it's melted it coats the bottom of a heavy-bottom pot. For my pot, one TB is plenty to make 4 "servings" of popcorn, so it's really only adding about 25-30 calories per serving to do it that way over just the kernels.

Heat, melt the fat, toss in the kernels, lid... wait...shake a bit... when it stops popping, dump into a bowl and toss with some kosher salt and whatever seasonings you like. The bacon flavor will be subtle, but you will notice it.

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Don't use too much. Just enough so once it's melted it coats the bottom of a heavy-bottom pot. For my pot, one TB is plenty to make 4 "servings" of popcorn, so it's really only adding about 25-30 calories per serving to do it that way over just the kernels.

Heat, melt the fat, toss in the kernels, lid... wait...shake a bit... when it stops popping, dump into a bowl and toss with some kosher salt and whatever seasonings you like. The bacon flavor will be subtle, but you will notice it.

Awesome! Thank you!!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Oooohhh! Yum I want.

Never tried the Reaper, there is for sure a lot hotter sauces then the Tabasco. Can you send me some of your homemade stuff ? B)

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Something what sounds disgusting but is actually DELICIOUS: Take a slice of deli ham, spread some cream cheese on it and wrap it around a pickle. Mmmmmmm.

@mkakids - have you had pickled garlic? It's amazing.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Popcorn with Twang pickle salt. It is the shiiiiiz.