How badly do you sweat at the gym?

Options
I am tiny but sweat like a pig at the gym! After 45 minutes on the elliptical I look like I took a dip in the pool. You can literally ring my shirt out - I swear the heavier people don't sweat half as much as I do! Even at home when I do my TurboFire DVDs I am drenched so it's not like the gym is too warm (actually my opinion is that it's freezing).

In general I'm not a cold person, usually I am comfortable wherever I go and I don't sweat for no reason or anything. I do have to sleep with just about no blankets at night though or I roast.

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    A strong hour long cardio on the arc trainer for me leaves a pool of sweat on the floor.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I sweat terribly. In work I have to be careful what I wear just in case you can see the sweat on my back.. Yuck.. In work its the heating at 22c which kills me. I'd like it about 17c. Most of the rest of the staff complain that the place is cold??
    I cannot wear wool - will sweat terribly.
    I have a summer duvet on my bed for the winter and just a sheet in the summer (live in Ireland) - so not a place known for its fantastic heat!!
    I just don't go to gyms where I have to use machines. I sweat like I've been soaked in a pool of water and I'm just so embarrassed when I get up to move and I try to wipe down the dripping sweat off the machine (so so embarrassing). I exercise outside.
    I'm 5' 4" and weigh 163lbs - so overweight.
    Hoping that when I loose it, the sweating issue will reduce!
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the same "problem". I use air quotes because sweating the gym is not a problem per say. I see a ton of people in the gym who are not even shiny after their "exercise". That means that they left a lot in the tank.

When I workout on an ellipitcal machine, I keep my heart rate between 130-155 for two hours. By the time I am finished, I look like I've gone swimming in my workout clothes. I also can not sleep with blankets, or I will drench the bed! My wife is sometimes shocked at how much I sweat at night under a comforter.

It could be glandular, hormonal, or just genetic. I am in pretty good shape, and my frequency of perspiration never changes, regardless of fitness or diet.

Grab a couple of headbands and a change of clothes and embrace it! At least no one ever accuses me of going to the gym to people-watch. It's easy to see by my sweat that I mean business!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm not a heavy sweater....I sweat a little, but not a ton. It's probably why I've never liked hot weather. My body isn't very good at cooling itself with sweat. I went to a spin class one time where the lady on the bike in front of me literally had sweat pools on the floor around her bike and she was tiny and fit looking. I was damp, but not near as wet as some people, so I think it's just an individual thing.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I also sweat like an animal at the gym. Even my wicking clothing struggles to keep up sometimes. It is what it is.. Some ladies may prettily perspire. Alas I'm not one of em.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i don't mind being seen as a sweaty mess at the gym, i'm there to work out and that's exactly what i do. i also tend to turn a fantastic shade of crimson - oh well. i wouldn't worry about it - everyone sweats differently and there's not much you can do about it. Just make sure you're well hydrated and embrace it! :)
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy doing lower body strength training. Especially when I start with doing squats for some higher volume, I really sweat a lot.
    If I stay to workout longer though, this becomes less and less again (I guess because my intensity gets lower and lower).
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy all the time. I have to be careful what shirts I wear to work because I can sweat through them in no time if I do anything besides sit at my desk.

At the gym, it varies. If I'm lifting lighter weights (like during my warmup), I don't sweat too much. As soon as I start lifting my working sets, I get drenched pretty fast. On my runs (indoors and outdoors), I get to the point where my shirt could be rung out too.

Some people just sweat more than others. As long as you are polite and wipe off the machine after you're done, don't worry about sweating more than others around you.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Cardio- I sweat like a grown man...a very sweaty man. Lifting- I barely sweat at all (even if I feel like I am working harder)
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    1 hour in the gym and I take a second shirt with me for the drive home as the first migt as well have been under a tap
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Like a hooker in church.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm doing. My prescribed cardio? Hot sweaty mess. High rep sets or things like get ups? Sweating. Heavy singles? Get a little damp but not much.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a sweat-er and never really have been. Even after walking 5 miles in 100 degree weather, I'm only really glistening. No sweat just pouring off. I have no idea why.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I find I actually sweat more now than when I was heavier/less fit, so perhaps I'm able to work harder now so my body temp rises more, hence sweatathon.

Probably TMI, but I'm used to a sweaty head, back and armpits, but now my butt's joined the party too. I've started leaving graphic butt prints on anything I sit on the gym. It's a demoralising thing to have to keep cleaning up :neutral_face:
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have done a good enough job unless I am sweating pretty hardcore. I tend to sweat the most on the back of my neck (not sure why), but once I cut my hair short it got better. I also wear a hat to get all that head sweat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of Normal for BMI and I sweat like a fountain during any cardio. I am a lindy hop dancer and I've learned that I can never wear light or medium colored dresses. Dark and polka dotted only! I wear black dance shorts and have to peel them off afterwards. I have my sweatproof makeup looks down to a science.

I don't see anything wrong with getting sweaty at the gym (even disgustingly "is she okay?" sweaty) so long as you clean your machines immediately after you're done.
  • Burghaus
    Burghaus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    About the heavier people not sweating. I have an unproven/untested theory. You really have to be in good shape to work a really good sweat. From my own experience, if I am out of shape, I wear out before I can get a really good sweat.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I train for ~3-4 hours at a time and don't tend to take water breaks. It's pretty normal for me to lose 5 lbs in one training session (water weight).

Fun times :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Burghaus wrote: »
    About the heavier people not sweating. I have an unproven/untested theory. You really have to be in good shape to work a really good sweat. From my own experience, if I am out of shape, I wear out before I can get a really good sweat.

My son says this, too. The more you sweat, the more efficient your body. However, there's a guy at my gym...older fella...who pours sweat when he's on the elliptical. He's not in optimum shape. He sweats so bad, he has to put a towel on the floor under him to catch the sweat. True story. I've seen other guys and gals, who look to be in great shape, but aren't sweating that much. Who knows?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't really sweat that much, other than my face and hands going puffy and red and perhaps in the small of my back.

I've lost 35kg by mountain walking, swimming (open water and indoor pools) and weight lifting.

It doesn't seem to matter how fit or overweight I am, I just don't sweat very much. Same applies to gigs and other activities.

And I really put my back into all of my 'exercise'. I can assure you after 10 hours walking or drunkenly fending off kidney punches and hair pulling in a mosh pit, I do not have much left in the tank.

My husband on the other hand, breaks out into a sweat walking down the street in summer or chasing after our kid in the park. It's not that these things are at all strenous for him, because he's training for an mountainous ultramarathon in July. He just sweats and I don't.