Why is it so gosh darn hard to lose body fat???!!!

Options
kevinmacpa
kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
In theory, losing body fat is simple: you either eat less than you burn, or you burn more than you eat. If you can achieve one of the two, you will create a calorie deficit. Over time, if you can maintain a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

Usually when people ask for help here because they cannot lose the weight, we tell them to watch their calorie intake and try to exercise more. Come on guys, who doesn't know that's what you should do? However we still keep telling them the same thing. I call this giving them motivation. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

When someone is sick, you can't cure them by only treat the symptoms, you have to figure out what's causing the condition that leads to the symptoms. Is over eating an underlying cause for overweight or could it be a mere symptom of something more severe? How about the unwillingness to move or exercise more? Because no matter now much we eat if we can exercise enough we will still burn more calories than we take in. Is this an underlying cause for over weight or could this also be a symptom from something far worse? If you think over eating is the cause, that's gluttony; if you think unwillingness to exercise more is the problem, that's sloth. But are they really the true cause or overweight or obesity?

I only ask you to keep an open mind and watch the following video. Remember the "infamous" video "the bitter truth about sugar"? Well, this is part 2 of that video. 4 years after the original video was released, dr. Lustig give this lecture at the same lecture hall with more research result and more updated info.

You don't have to comment, and you can bash me for putting the video link here, but before you do, I only ask you to watch the whole video first before doing so.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y

Note: Dagnabbit, the mods edited the post title.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    He's a big part of the confusion that is nutritional science.......he simply doesn't see nutrition outside his version of reality, he just doesn't get it, which is kind of scary considering the influence this man has.
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    He's a big part of the confusion that is nutritional science.......he simply doesn't see nutrition outside his version of reality, he just doesn't get it, which is kind of scary considering the influence this man has.

Could you provide more details regarding what confusion do you think he is causing? And what nutrition outside his vision were you referring to? Would really appreciate if you can clarify it. Thanks.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    He purposes that it isn't calories or personal responsibility for weight gain but sugar and more specifically fructose and still refers to them as toxic......Context and dosage is not his strong suit. Basically he's counting on bullsh1t baffles brains.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It's those god damn genetics. LOL!
  • kevinmacpa
    edited January 2015
    Options
    He purposes that it isn't calories or personal responsibility for weight gain but sugar and more specifically fructose and still refers to them as toxic......Context and dosage is not his strong suit. Basically he's counting on bullsh1t baffles brains.

Where in the video or in any of his other videos did he say calories or personal responsibility is not responsible for weight gain? In my opinion, his view is excess fructose without any dietary fiber cause slow down of metabolism, which leads to low or no energy production even when you have loads of sugar trying to release energy, when you have no energy, you don't want to or simply can't exercise, thus the "sloth"; excess fructose without enough fiber leads to visceral fat which causes insulin resistance which leads to leptin resistance which cause your brain to not send signal for your body to stop food consumption even when you have huge amount of excess body fat, thus the "gluttony".

If this does not support his claim of fructose as being toxin, what does?

Context and dosage? Did he ever once tell anyone to stop eating fruit? No, he said even though fruit has fructose in them, but because they are also very dense in nutrients and fiber content, the minuscule amount of fructose won't matter. Because of the water content and dietary fibers in fruit, it's also very unlikely that you can ever over eat fruit.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Because the body naturally wants to hang on to it for times of famine. It is a biomechanism in most mammals. Get used to it.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Train the body to eat the fat instead of the sugars, and you will find that your body will live on its own body fat, at least part of the time.

I dont care enough about the video to watch it. I just directly answered the question.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    uhq-doctor-who-comments.jpg
    Should be more interesting in the morning.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    uhq-doctor-who-comments.jpg
    Should be more interesting in the morning.

I can't believe this thread is from this morning and yet was not warmed by the heat of the level five dumpster fire on the same page.
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    Train the body to eat the fat instead of the sugars, and you will find that your body will live on its own body fat, at least part of the time.

I dont care enough about the video to watch it. I just directly answered the question.

If you are on Atkins or keto diet, then the video doesn't apply to you. The information in the video won't really give you anything that's beneficial. But I think most people do consume carb as their major source of fuel, and i think it's worth their time to watch the video and do some critical thinking.
  • heavenangel84
    heavenangel84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: "this is just my opinion" I believe that the American "staple" food diet is horrible or had declined throughout the years especially with the introduction to gmo's, adding other chemicals or food additives that makes food last longer. I am not one to hate on carbs but refined sugar, and eating all those "twinkies" and junk food is absolutely detrimental to a persons health. No rocket science there. Unfortunately, many of us don't eat raw fruits, veggies and intake good protein; not to mention exercise. Granted, it costs me a bit more money to eat "raw" and choose healthy alternatives (I.E. Apple over McDonalds Apple pie) but my body loves it in the end. I can go and on about this but the point is, carbs shouldn't be the main source of fuel. I think we should eat good carbs (sweet potatoe, quinoa, etc) and drink lots of water. Diet coke messed up in not loosing any weight.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    this is 1 hour and 24 minutes long, surely there's a summary somewhere
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    kevinmacpa wrote: »

Where in the video or in any of his other videos did he say calories or personal responsibility is not responsible for weight gain? In my opinion, his view is excess fructose without any dietary fiber cause slow down of metabolism, which leads to low or no energy production even when you have loads of sugar trying to release energy, when you have no energy, you don't want to or simply can't exercise, thus the "sloth"; excess fructose without enough fiber leads to visceral fat which causes insulin resistance which leads to leptin resistance which cause your brain to not send signal for your body to stop food consumption even when you have huge amount of excess body fat, thus the "gluttony".

Context and dosage? Did he ever once tell anyone to stop eating fruit? No, he said even though fruit has fructose in them, but because they are also very dense in nutrients and fiber content, the minuscule amount of fructose won't matter. Because of the water content and dietary fibers in fruit, it's also very unlikely that you can ever over eat fruit.

lol oops ok thank you
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    kevinmacpa wrote: »

lol oops ok thank you

I highly recommend you go through the entire video if possible. Just listen to it when you do your cardio. If you eat carbs as a major part of your diet (anything higher than 20% of your daily macro), you can learn a thing or two that's very helpful for maintaining your health and keeping the excess fat off.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Only 7 posts in 10 hours? I expected so much more. I has a sad.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Only 7 posts in 10 hours? I expected so much more. I has a sad.

LOL well the day crew will probably run with this one..

and in ….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - I eat 100+ grams of sugar a day ..I have no issues bulking, cutting, or maintaining..

you can eat sugar and lose body fat..it just take calorie deficit, hard work, and dedication ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Disclaimer: "this is just my opinion" I believe that the American "staple" food diet is horrible or had declined throughout the years especially with the introduction to gmo's, adding other chemicals or food additives that makes food last longer. I am not one to hate on carbs but refined sugar, and eating all those "twinkies" and junk food is absolutely detrimental to a persons health. No rocket science there. Unfortunately, many of us don't eat raw fruits, veggies and intake good protein; not to mention exercise. Granted, it costs me a bit more money to eat "raw" and choose healthy alternatives (I.E. Apple over McDonalds Apple pie) but my body loves it in the end. I can go and on about this but the point is, carbs shouldn't be the main source of fuel. I think we should eat good carbs (sweet potatoe, quinoa, etc) and drink lots of water. Diet coke messed up in not loosing any weight.

even your "raw" food has chemicals in it…so brace yourself, you are ingesting chemicals..

diet coke has nothing to do with you losing weight, or not losing weight.

Plenty of people drink diet coke, maintain a calorie deficit, and lose weight.

and carbs are not evil, they are energy...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Seriously, a Lustig "carbs are bad mkay" thread that isn't already over 100 replies.