I've been doing an hour of cardio a night, and eating pretty healthy, and I gained weight?!?!

Options
Ok, so I have been doing an hour of cardio a night basically on the elliptical and the machine that is like sliding stairs, burning about 600 calories. I have been making sure I do not go over my food intake along with sugars and fats. I weighed myself Friday, and then I weighed in today and had gained 1.5 pounds! Why?!?!?! Has this happened to anyone? and if so when did you start losing instead?!

Replies

• ppersaud67
    ppersaud67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try doing some resistance training you body make react differently
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    When did you start this exercise regime? New exercise programmes often result in water retention, which can lead to a higher number on the scale. It does not mean you have gained fat.

Give it more time and if you are eating at a calorie deficit then you will lose weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    twarden9 wrote: »
    Ok, so I have been doing an hour of cardio a night basically on the elliptical and the machine that is like sliding stairs, burning about 600 calories. I have been making sure I do not go over my food intake along with sugars and fats. I weighed myself Friday, and then I weighed in today and had gained 1.5 pounds! Why?!?!?! Has this happened to anyone? and if so when did you start losing instead?!

Also, be careful, you may be overestimating your calorie burn
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Stop... wait a minute. (so tempting to sing the rest in the office)

No you didn't gain 1.5lb in a week from counting cals and working out more. Think logically about it. If you just started a new workout regime, your body needs a second to get used to it. Keep it up and weigh again next week.

Also, why are you hating on sugar and fat? They're 2 of my best friends!
  • ashbash830
    ashbash830 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't like change.
    Your body is constantly trying to maintain homeostasis, so when you're trying to change things your body is going to try to go back to its "normal"
    Say you eat 3,000 calories a day and go down to 2,000. You are changing something and that is no longer "normal" so your body, in this case, is basically saying you're not giving me what I want (calories) so I'm going to store this food as fat.

Just keep going, you will start losing weight.
  • twarden9
    twarden9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I started 2 weeks ago. I go to Florida in the end of March and was hoping to lose 15 lbs (and continue being healthy to keep it off!). I have a polar heart rate thing so that I know my calorie burn very precise. I also am trying my hardest to not go over the 1200 calories I am alloted even if I am burning 600 in extra food. I have been living off of chicken, tuna, whole grains, spinach, green beans, and eggs. I will treat myself to an oreo of something but I always log it. I'm just so discouraged I guess. But I guess I will have to just wait a week or two and weigh again. I felt great this morning when I woke up, like my body looked a little better, and then weighed and just wanted to go to sleep and pretend I didn't.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Your goal is not sensible, plan to continue being discouraged. 15 lbs is no small feat. I would give yourself at least 4 months to accomplish that loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to eat most of your calories back because what you are doing is not healthy.
  • Freedm16
    Freedm16 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am an personal trainer/coach and I always recommend, especially at the start of a new diet and exercise plan to pay more attention to how your clothes fit than the number on the scale. Try taking measurements of your body instead of weighing yourself often. I would say weigh yourself once a week and no more. If you notice clothes are fitting better and you feel better overall, than that's a good starting point.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    --

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    twarden9 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I started 2 weeks ago. I go to Florida in the end of March and was hoping to lose 15 lbs (and continue being healthy to keep it off!). I have a polar heart rate thing so that I know my calorie burn very precise. I also am trying my hardest to not go over the 1200 calories I am alloted even if I am burning 600 in extra food. I have been living off of chicken, tuna, whole grains, spinach, green beans, and eggs. I will treat myself to an oreo of something but I always log it. I'm just so discouraged I guess. But I guess I will have to just wait a week or two and weigh again. I felt great this morning when I woke up, like my body looked a little better, and then weighed and just wanted to go to sleep and pretend I didn't.

gotta eat those cals back and get you net cals back to 1200 or more. 600 net cals is not good for the body. Also are you weighing in the am? Or evening after eating food and water all day?
  • imacrazycatlady
    imacrazycatlady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Machines GROSSLY overestimate calories burned. Do not believe what the machine tells you.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options

Heart rate monitors are only accurate if you're doing a "steady-state" cardio, meaning running, walking, biking - that sort of thing. If you're doing hefty cardio like Zumba, a fitness DVD, HIIT training, anything like that, your burn is not accurate because the HRM cannot properly track the rapid rising and falling (varying) heart rate, whereas when you're doing a steady state cardio, it generally remains in the same ball park if your pace is the same.

[/quote]

Who told you this? This is total bollocks! I've been using Polar hr monitors for 20 years. they have settings on them which allow for interval training! Where did you get this information. Somebody is feeding you a line of bull!

Now to the OP, you're not getting enough food, your goal is too much, and you need to add resistance training. You're body is going to continue to hold on to the weight as a protection mechanism because you are going into starvation mode with such a huge calorie deficit.
  • msdavonnadenise
    msdavonnadenise Posts: 12
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good advice, Freedm16. In the beginning, I was working very hard and eating right and lost very little and then I gained some of it back. I was pissed. My face started breaking out (not cute for a 40+ year old) and I got frustrated and stopped weighing myself, but I kept on with the program anyway. And then after about a month or so, I had lost an amazing amount of weight. I also noticed my hair grew and my skin cleared up and I started fitting my shirts better (one of my primary personal issues in life). It just takes time for your body to get through it.

Especially for women. The other reason I think it seemed like I gained weight was because I started my program about two weeks before my cycle (sorry, TMI, but we're all grown here, get over it). And all women know that during that time (or for me, during PMS), we have to deal with "phantom weight" and not fitting our clothes and just feeling all-round bogus. And thennnnnn, we have to worry about pre-menopause, too (depending on your age). So we have to take that into consideration as well. We just have to be realistic and patient with ourselves.

Based on my past and present weight loss experiences, I'm finding that once I get into a groove where my good eating habits have become a lifestyle that I don't have to think about (like now), everything starts falling into place for me.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. It will come.

I see this problem all the time with my clients.

If you're not eating enough, your metabolism will halt aka adaptive thermogenesis. Bump your calories up again.

Use Harris Benedict formula to calculate what you should be eating to maintain your current weight. Then deduct 10-15% and this is what you should be eating AFTER exercise :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    1) It is very likely the muscles retaining water, which happens when you start a new workout or increase your exercise. They need the extra fluids to repair

2) 600 net calories is too low for anyone. 1200 net may be too low for some people. What is your height, current weight, and age?
  • annstan12
    Options
    I am having the SAME issue and was just getting ready to google it. I've been running 4 miles a day for 2 weeks, at least 4 times per week and I have gained 2 lbs. I wouldn't stress over it and it is definitely water retention, but continue drinking lots of water!! My goal is 15 lbs by end of April.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    underestimate calories in overestimate calories out can = not losing weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    {quote]
    Heart rate monitors are only accurate if you're doing a "steady-state" cardio, meaning running, walking, biking - that sort of thing. If you're doing hefty cardio like Zumba, a fitness DVD, HIIT training, anything like that, your burn is not accurate because the HRM cannot properly track the rapid rising and falling (varying) heart rate, whereas when you're doing a steady state cardio, it generally remains in the same ball park if your pace is the same.

Who told you this? This is total bollocks! I've been using Polar hr monitors for 20 years. they have settings on them which allow for interval training! Where did you get this information. Somebody is feeding you a line of bull!

Now to the OP, you're not getting enough food, your goal is too much, and you need to add resistance training. You're body is going to continue to hold on to the weight as a protection mechanism because you are going into starvation mode with such a huge calorie deficit.[/quote]

Some people don't use the HRM correctly, and I'm guessing some cheap ones may not have the different settings (although I would assume that would be phased out as HIIT is more and more popular).

In addition, I've seen people who wear a heart rate monitor all day and think that it gives an accurate calorie burn including when they are sitting at their desk. It's definitely not made for that. The easy solution is to just read the instructions for your model.

OP, I agree that you are likely seeing water retention from starting a workout regimen. In addition, you are netting very few calories as someone else pointed out, which will put stress on your body, increase cortisol levels, and also lead to weight gain. I'd look into changing your goal (maybe half a pound or a pound a week) and eating back at least half of your workout calories. There's no reason to starve yourself, and the MFP deficit works if you log accurately and stick with it.