Why is it so gosh darn hard to lose body fat???!!!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Seriously, a Lustig "carbs are bad mkay" thread that isn't already over 100 replies.

it was posted at 11am last night..

bump it and they will come ….
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Train the body to eat the fat instead of the sugars, and you will find that your body will live on its own body fat, at least part of the time.

I dont care enough about the video to watch it. I just directly answered the question.

http://sigmanutrition.com/eat-more-fat-burn-more-fat-myth-magic-or-metabolic-advantage/
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Sigh. This bull again? Okay... Dr. Lustig...

Meta-analysis studies have indicated that the clinical trials cited by Lustig, which were aimed at studying carbohydrate consumption, were of only short duration and variable quality, and that study subjects had only modest increases in body weight, thus precluding definitive conclusions. Sources: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22351714, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22617566

In athletes requiring sugar to meet their caloric needs, fructose may enhance exercise performance by stimulating nutrient absorption and energy metabolism. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20622544

I am not watching an hour long video from a hack.

To answer your subject line, it is not hard to lose body fat. Some people overeat because they're eating to cope with their problem. Other people just don't understand portion sizes. It's not that hard to figure out which pool you fall into and how to work on yourself.

• kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Meta-analysis studies have indicated that the clinical trials cited by Lustig, which were aimed at studying carbohydrate consumption, were of only short duration and variable quality, and that study subjects had only modest increases in body weight, thus precluding definitive conclusions. Sources: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22351714, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22617566

In athletes requiring sugar to meet their caloric needs, fructose may enhance exercise performance by stimulating nutrient absorption and energy metabolism. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20622544

To answer your subject line, it is not hard to lose body fat. Some people overeat because they're eating to cope with their problem. Other people just don't understand portion sizes. It's not that hard to figure out which pool you fall into and how to work on yourself.

About the trial result not being conclusive, I think it depends on personal opinion. But if you disagree, I respect that. My train of thought is better safe than sorry.

Moderate consumption of fructose by athletes may enhance performance, this could be true, but I think this is more about energy from fructose help athletes recover better after intense training; or increased energy during their exercise. But even in the article you citied, they even said they are not sure if there could be any long term negative effects.

With the amount of training and diet control for athletes, I don't think any of them need to worry about becoming obese. But for normal people like us, do you perform physical activity or training even half as hard as professional athletes? If you do, you wouldn't be overweight or obese. I can guarantee you that.

"In athletes requiring sugar to meet caloric need" if this fits you, then go consume fructose if you want to. But in normal people who are struggling to keep their sugar intake, blood glucose level, or calorie consumption under control, i don't see why you should consume large amount of fructose when there are far better alternatives.

Carb is not the devil, but any food that contains high concentration of fructose without dietary fiber is, at least for regular people who don't have their own personal dietitian.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kevinmacpa wrote: »

About the trial result not being conclusive, I think it depends on personal opinion. But if you disagree, I respect that. My train of thought is better safe than sorry.

Moderate consumption of fructose by athletes may enhance performance, this could be true, but I think this is more about energy from fructose help athletes recover better after intense training; or increased energy during their exercise. But even in the article you citied, they even said they are not sure if there could be any long term negative effects.

With the amount of training and diet control for athletes, I don't think any of them need to worry about becoming obese. But for normal people like us, do you perform physical activity or training even half as hard as professional athletes? If you do, you wouldn't be overweight or obese. I can guarantee you that.

"In athletes requiring sugar to meet caloric need" if this fits you, then go consume fructose if you want to. But in normal people who are struggling to keep their sugar intake, blood glucose level, or calorie consumption under control, i don't see why you should consume large amount of fructose when there are far better options.

Carb is not the devil, but any food that contains high concentration of fructose without dietary fiber is, at least for regular people who don't have their own personal dietitian.

LOL so if you eat sugar you can only lose weight with a personal dietician?? Is that what you are saying?

I lost 50 pounds ten years ago, and have kept it off all the while eating sugar and NOT having a personal dietician..

fat loss is not hard..

people just want to blame "evil sugar" for their lack of self control and dedication to do what it takes..

#thiscrapisgettingold
  • fit4eva86
    fit4eva86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Years ago when i didn't have a clue and fell for all the crap media b****cks i lost weight eating special k. (Yes i know!!) but that crap is full of sugar!! I lost weight though. Now i do it by eating them devil carbs, protein, fats and even sugar!! There are things i choose not to eat but i don't see where this sugar thing has come from. People have been eating sugar without even knowing it was as bad as people make out for years and still lost weight!!
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

"In athletes requiring sugar to meet caloric need" if this fits you, then go consume fructose if you want to. But in normal people who are struggling to keep their sugar intake, blood glucose level, or calorie consumption under control, i don't see why you should consume large amount of fructose when there are far better options.

LOL so if you eat sugar you can only lose weight with a personal dietician?? Is that what you are saying?

I lost 50 pounds ten years ago, and have kept it off all the while eating sugar and NOT having a personal dietician..

fat loss is not hard..

people just want to blame "evil sugar" for their lack of self control and dedication to do what it takes..

#thiscrapisgettingold

Well, good for you to lose that much fat and kept it off. It's a lot of work.

People can certainly lose weight while consuming sugar. How much do you consume and what kind of sugar do you consume is the real question. If you know what you are doing, for example, you know how much you can eat and maybe counting some calories, then there is no doubt if you keep your calorie intake below your daily requirement you will lose weight.

But the general population are overweight or obese, for most people, if they don't track caloric intake, the easiest way to keep their calorie consumption in check is to cut food with large amount of added sugar. Even for some people who just started tracking caloric intake, they might have trouble cutting enough calories to maintain a daily calorie deficit. Because food with large concentration of added sugar most of the time are dense in calorie, but have next to nothing of nutrients, they should be the first thing out of your daily food list.

Occasional indulgence is no problem, even if you eat it everyday for a solid reason then why not, but if you HAVE to eat it everyday just because, then you probably have a problem and it could lead to chronic diseases.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Somebody else put this exact video link in their topic and the thread opened a huge debate on that one as well..

Bump

• ndj1979
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

People can certainly lose weight while consuming sugar. How much do you consume and what kind of sugar do you consume is the real question. If you know what you are doing, for example, you know how much you can eat and maybe counting some calories, then there is no doubt if you keep your calorie intake below your daily requirement you will lose weight.

But the general population are overweight or obese, for most people, if they don't track caloric intake, the easiest way to keep their calorie consumption in check is to cut food with large amount of added sugar. Even for some people who just started tracking caloric intake, they might have trouble cutting enough calories to maintain a daily calorie deficit. Because food with large concentration of added sugar most of the time are dense in calorie, but have next to nothing of nutrients, they should be the first thing out of your daily food list.

Occasional indulgence is no problem, even if you eat it everyday for a solid reason then why not, but if you HAVE to eat it everyday just because, then you probably have a problem and it could lead to chronic diseases.

so now you are saying that everyone does not need a personal dietician?

If obese people just reduced their overall intake by 15% and kept eating sugar they would lose weight.

Sugar is not the culprit, overindulgence is.

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    In for more gifs!!!!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I am pretty sure sumo wrestlers are considered professional athletes. Lots of athletes would be considered obese based on the BMI scale.
  • scraver2003
    Options

OMG! This is so true.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Has anyone really reduced their sugar intake while maintaining their calorie intake and still lost weight? Odd, I've never read about anyone being able to lose weight this way. According to what's being touted, it's sugar that's evil, not the calories
  • kevinmacpa
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

If obese people just reduced their overall intake by 15% and kept eating sugar they would lose weight.

Not everyone needs a dietitian to lose weight while consuming sugar, but sugar is still the devil.

If obese people cut their overall intake by 15% and kept eating sugar, they can lose weight, but if obese people just cut their sugary food especially soft drinks, which doesn't contribute to satiety, and keep all their other food consumption, they will easily cut no less than 15% of calorie intake.

Sugar is addictive if you over consume it, sugar craving is what's causing the overindulgence.
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Somebody else put this exact video link in their topic and the thread opened a huge debate on that one as well..

Bump

That was about the first lecture by dr. Lustig in 2009, this is about his second lecture with updated research finding, and information in 2013 at the same lecture hall.

The other thread is about eating "clean", I hope this thread can help people realize why over consumption of fructose can be a huge problem.

Table sugar, or sucrose is 50% fructose, 50% glucose; high fructose corn syrup or HFCS is about 55% fructose, 45% glucose.
  • scraver2003
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

Not everyone needs a dietitian to lose weight while consuming sugar, but sugar is still the devil.

If obese people cut their overall intake by 15% and kept eating sugar, they can lose weight, but if obese people just cut their sugary food especially soft drinks, which doesn't contribute to satiety, and keep all their other food consumption, they will easily cut no less than 15% of calorie intake.

Sugar is addictive if you over consume it, sugar craving is what's causing the overindulgence.

I don't crave sugar. I crave fat. Cheese is my devil. Warm, gooey, fatty, melty cheese. Mmmm. Sugar on the other hand - If I cut back too much on carbs and sugar, I become lethargic and have a hard time preforming well with my workouts and runs. Sugar is awesome!
  • ndj1979
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

no, sugar is not addictive.

• kevinmacpa
    edited January 2015
    Options

I am pretty sure sumo wrestlers are considered professional athletes. Lots of athletes would be considered obese based on the BMI scale.

Check out the average lifespan for sumo wrestlers, not their professional athlete lifespan, their actual lifespan.

And I am not talking about BMI, I was at 12% body fat years ago after a bulk and my BMI put me in overweight, close to being obese. Body fat % is a better measure for overweight and obesity.
  • kevinmacpa
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

I don't crave sugar. I crave fat. Cheese is my devil. Warm, gooey, fatty, melty cheese. Mmmm. Sugar on the other hand - If I cut back too much on carbs and sugar, I become lethargic and have a hard time preforming well with my workouts and runs. Sugar is awesome!

Well, I am the same, I don't care for desert or sodas, because I got over my own sugar addiction years ago. I crave red meat and fat. Fatty steak is my favorite. But because of calorie reasons, I try not to over indulge.

I eat sugar, but only glucose, which is actually better for athletic performance, because 100% of the glucose sugar can be used for the entire body, unlike fructose which can only be processed by the liver.

I eat carbs that converts to glucose sugar before and after my workout, for example, grains, starchy vegetables, legume, I even drink dextrose and maltodextrin shake before and after I workout. Dextrose has GI index of 100, maltodextrin has GI index of about 120, table sugar only has a GI index of 60. But I wouldn't touch soda or fruit juice for that reason.

Try eat food with glucose sugar before and after your workout, you will feel more energy.
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    Has anyone really reduced their sugar intake while maintaining their calorie intake and still lost weight? Odd, I've never read about anyone being able to lose weight this way. According to what's being touted, it's sugar that's evil, not the calories

You are missing the point. The major benefit of cutting food with high concentration of added sugar is not that you switch the calorie to something else. When you cut this kind of food, you eat other food with more nutrient and takes about the same amount of space in your stomach, but because they don't have concentrated sugar they have maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the calorie, but you feel just as full if not fuller, so you stop eating, thus without additional effort, without starvation, you just cut several hundred calories from your daily diet.

Once again, calorie in<calorie out= weight loss. How do you make sure your have calorie in<calorie out? You cut sugar dense processed food without starving yourself. When you are not in starvation, you don't have food cravings. When you don't have food cravings, you make less mistakes. When you make less mistakes, you have a better chance stay on track with your diet, and thus you lose the weight.