I've been doing an hour of cardio a night, and eating pretty healthy, and I gained weight?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• mlckeon
    mlckeon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    it probably can be water weight but don't discourage
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    That 1.5 lb "gain" could be a gain from last week, before you started working out. Or it could be water retention. Or it could be poop. One weigh-in isn't a gain. You have to have more data and track your weight over time to guarantee you're losing (or gaining) weight.

Also- it's possible you're eating more than you realize. A food scale can help you know for sure.

End of march is 10 weeks from now. Your profile says you want to lose 20 lbs total.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

You should only be aiming to lose .5-1 lbs per week for sustainable weight loss (that you won't gain right back after). That means that your goal of 1,200 (which I hope is net) is probably too low and too aggressive. No one is going to weigh you in Miami. If you focus on losing weight in a healthy way, you may weigh more for FL, but you'll look better because you'll retain more of your muscles. Muscle takes up less space and jiggles less than fat. Worth it.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    twarden9 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I started 2 weeks ago. I go to Florida in the end of March and was hoping to lose 15 lbs (and continue being healthy to keep it off!). I have a polar heart rate thing so that I know my calorie burn very precise. I also am trying my hardest to not go over the 1200 calories I am alloted even if I am burning 600 in extra food. I have been living off of chicken, tuna, whole grains, spinach, green beans, and eggs. I will treat myself to an oreo of something but I always log it. I'm just so discouraged I guess. But I guess I will have to just wait a week or two and weigh again. I felt great this morning when I woke up, like my body looked a little better, and then weighed and just wanted to go to sleep and pretend I didn't.

Heart rate monitors are only accurate if you're doing a "steady-state" cardio, meaning running, walking, biking - that sort of thing. If you're doing hefty cardio like Zumba, a fitness DVD, HIIT training, anything like that, your burn is not accurate because the HRM cannot properly track the rapid rising and falling (varying) heart rate, whereas when you're doing a steady state cardio, it generally remains in the same ball park if your pace is the same.

I just found this out myself. :)
    Just give it time. Our bodies need time to adjust to new exercise/eating routines.

Interval Training With Polar Heart Rate Monitors

For many of us, treadmills and stationary bikes are a necessity, not a want – we need to use them when it’s raining buckets outside, when the temperatures are a bit too frosty for us to hit that pavement, or if we live in an area that unfortunately isn’t running and biking-friendly. Interval training is a great way to increase fat burn and beat that dreaded treadmill and training bike boredom. Heart rate monitoring is at the core of interval training, and we have some tried and true interval training tips using Polar Heart Rate Monitors, one of the top heart rate monitors on our website.

Tip 1: Find your maximum heart rate.
    Finding your max heart rate is actually surprisingly simple: simply subtract your age from 220. This your anaerobic heart rate – your maximum heart rate. Then, subtract about 25 beats, and you’ll have your approximate aerobic heart rate. Take note of these, as you’ll want to carefully monitor them with one of our Polar Heart Rate Monitors.

Tip 2: Plan your interval schedule.
    If you do a Google search for “interval running plans” or “interval biking plans” you’ll find a ton of interval training ideas, ranging from the easy to the I-need-to-print-this-out-and-bring-with-me plans. We have a stunningly simple one for you:

• (1) five minute run/bike at a slow, warm-up speed

• (8) sets of:

º (1) two minute run/bike in your anaerobic heart rate zone, then

º (1) one minute run/bike in your aerobic heart rate zone

º Repeat seven more times, increasing your speed with each set

• (1) five minute run/bike at a slow, cool-down speed

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-heart-rate-monitors-interval-training.html

RC3 works fine for intervals.

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I and several others were chastised by at least ten users the other day when discussing Polar vs Fitbit. It was pretty ridiculous. I use my HRM for everything and continue to do so since it is motivating, but was given some sound information and sources to indicate it was true (and what a disappointment it was to hear!) Thank you bos10fit for providing a source supporting that HRMs can be useful for interval.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey, no problem!

I am obsessed with my HR monitor. I wear it for everything including lifting weights. I don't understand the claim of how they cannot be accurate in lifting weights & interval training. If they are accurate in long steady state how could they not be accurate the other way? It doesn't sound logical.

That's like saying oh my speedometer in my car only works when I am going to steady MPH versus acceleration and deceleration.

IDK that's just my thought.

They could be about 5-10 beats off perhaps that's any technology but like you said, it's motivating but also a helpful guideline.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Right, exactly - I only eat my exercise calories if I'm really hungry and I always make a healthy choice when I do, so for me it's mostly for motivation and a guideline. :) Thank you again.
  • ramirezjhonorio
    Options
    Ok, so I have been doing an hour of cardio a night basically on the elliptical and the machine that is like sliding stairs, burning about 600 calories. I have been making sure I do not go over my food intake along with sugars and fats. I weighed myself Friday, and then I weighed in today and had gained 1.5 pounds! Why?!?!?! Has this happened to anyone? and if so when did you start losing instead?!

You could be building muscle as well. If you doin what you supposed to do they weight will come off. Don't get down jut means we got to want it more and work harder. I've had those days too and start thinking I'm doing something wrong but at the end of the week it evens out or drops.
    You doing good...!
  • twarden9
    twarden9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    1) It is very likely the muscles retaining water, which happens when you start a new workout or increase your exercise. They need the extra fluids to repair

2) 600 net calories is too low for anyone. 1200 net may be too low for some people. What is your height, current weight, and age?

I am 24, I am 5'6" and I weighed 154.6 today
  • twarden9
    Options
    That 1.5 lb "gain" could be a gain from last week, before you started working out. Or it could be water retention. Or it could be poop. One weigh-in isn't a gain. You have to have more data and track your weight over time to guarantee you're losing (or gaining) weight.

Also- it's possible you're eating more than you realize. A food scale can help you know for sure.

End of march is 10 weeks from now. Your profile says you want to lose 20 lbs total.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

You should only be aiming to lose .5-1 lbs per week for sustainable weight loss (that you won't gain right back after). That means that your goal of 1,200 (which I hope is net) is probably too low and too aggressive. No one is going to weigh you in Miami. If you focus on losing weight in a healthy way, you may weigh more for FL, but you'll look better because you'll retain more of your muscles. Muscle takes up less space and jiggles less than fat. Worth it.

Muscle is definitely cuter than the jiggle lol!
  • twarden9
    Options
    Ok, so I have been doing an hour of cardio a night basically on the elliptical and the machine that is like sliding stairs, burning about 600 calories. I have been making sure I do not go over my food intake along with sugars and fats. I weighed myself Friday, and then I weighed in today and had gained 1.5 pounds! Why?!?!?! Has this happened to anyone? and if so when did you start losing instead?!

You could be building muscle as well. If you doin what you supposed to do they weight will come off. Don't get down jut means we got to want it more and work harder. I've had those days too and start thinking I'm doing something wrong but at the end of the week it evens out or drops.
    You doing good...!

Thank you!
  • twarden9
    Options
    ppersaud67 wrote: »
    Try doing some resistance training you body make react differently

Do you have any good resistance training things to do?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Stronglift 5x5 is one of the many beginner programs.

• twarden9
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Is that a video?
  • louandhad2003
    louandhad2003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more you could be increasing muscles with risistsnce
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Is that a video?

I do not think so. It is a whole program you can do in the gym.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ellipticals overestimate calorie burn by 42% I've read before - so if you're eating back your exercise calories you could be overeating. but yeah lift some weights and watch your body change
  • twarden9
    Options
    allanakern wrote: »
    ellipticals overestimate calorie burn by 42% I've read before - so if you're eating back your exercise calories you could be overeating. but yeah lift some weights and watch your body change

I think thats what I may hav eto do, you look great!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Is that a video?

Stronglifts 5X5 is a free workout program you can read about here: http://stronglifts.com/ I started doing it but switched to a variation of it. It requires that you have access to a gym if you do not own a squat rack/cage and olympic bar and weights. If you're a member of a gym, a trainer/staff can help you get your form right. You can see big results in 10 weeks.

If you're looking for things you can do at home, try doing planks, pushups, pull ups/chin ups, and squats. For squats, if you have weights you can hold, you'll see the best results. Youtube videos can help you get the form right.