not getting anywhere ..

Options
2»

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions, how did you measure out .2 of a teaspoon of olive oil for 10 calories?
    That Russian Stuffed Cabbage, is that your own recipe that you made in the recipe builder, or did you use someone else's entry in the database? Stay away from anything that says 'homemade' in the database.
  • kristenmichelle9214
    Options
    I have never had russian stuffed cabbage .. Lol idk where it says that but it was probably a mistake. I'll have to fix that .
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you are eating if you are eating a calorie surplus. If you aren't eating less than your body uses you will not lose any weight. Weigh your foods and track your activity accurately. If you are doing all of that correctly, give it more time. It takes longer than 2 weeks. You are making a lifetime change, give it a chance. It can take a month to notice results, 2 months for those close to you to notice results, 3 months for people who don't see you all the time to notice results.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Give it a few weeks while you are learning how to use the site. Don't let it discourage you.

It's good that you are being receptive to all of the great advice that you have received so far. It will help you a lot with getting the hang of all of this.
  • kristenmichelle9214
    Options
    :)
  • millerdelorme
    Options
    Ugh, I'm having the same problem! I've been logging everything for 3 weeks now. I only drink water. I've drastically changed from eating fast food and high-calorie foods to eating more fruits and veggies. I've been exercising everyday and getting enough sleep. Somehow I gained weight! I'm not going to give up. I know that I'm making better choices, but I'm just so discouraged. :( Is it possible that I'm just gaining muscle? Also, not to get too personal....does digestive/bathroom habits affect weight? I don't think I'm going as much as I should.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'm having the same problem! I've been logging everything for 3 weeks now. I only drink water. I've drastically changed from eating fast food and high-calorie foods to eating more fruits and veggies. I've been exercising everyday and getting enough sleep. Somehow I gained weight! I'm not going to give up. I know that I'm making better choices, but I'm just so discouraged. :( Is it possible that I'm just gaining muscle? Also, not to get too personal....does digestive/bathroom habits affect weight? I don't think I'm going as much as I should.

The only thing that matters when it all boils down is how many calories you're eating. If you're eating 3000 calories of fast food, or 3000 calories of fruit/veg/"healthy foods", it does the same thing (makes you gain weight if you're over your calorie allowance).

It's not likely you're gaining muscle, but it's possible that you're retaining some water, depending on what kind of exercise you're doing. Same advice as above: log everything that goes into your mouth accurately, make sure your calorie allowance is actually what you're supposed to be eating, and watch out for the calorie burn estimates that MFP gives you.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Same advice as already given to OP... if you're not weighing your food, you don't know how many calories you're consuming. The biggest factor in weight loss is diet. You'll never exercise enough calories away to make up for over-eating.

I picked up my food scale from WM for $10, best investment ever! Weigh your food, log accurately, CICO. (Calories in, Calories out)
  • 52cardpickup
    Options

Of course twinkies =/= salad. No one is saying that anyone should subsist on twinkies alone. Or salad alone, for that matter. I am merely stating that there is no reason to attempt to cut all "bad" foods out of ones diet just for the sake of weight loss. I, personally, don't feel that cutting out foods (aside from for medical reasons) is necessary or sustainable for weight loss.

Feel free to eat your salad. I'll have a small brownie that fits into my daily calorie allowance because it's tasty and fun and I like them. And maybe I'm low on carbs and fat today.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Let's get on a level playing field here - First off, there are no right foods. All calories are equal.

Next. Meet your calorie goal. Don't think you know more than the program. More than likely you don't. If you are having a hard time meeting it, plan out your days in advance so you know what you should be eating and eat it.

If you work out eat 1/2 those calories back too. Seriously, invest in some almonds, avocados or PB to fill in the cracks.

Give it 4 weeks. 2 weeks isn't long enough. This isn't the BIGGEST LOSER. This is life.

Be consistent. Get in a groove. It takes 21 days for you to adopt different habits.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're underestimating the number of calories that you are eating.
  • Summer16354
    Summer16354 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    While we're on the subject.. You guys are weighing food?? I have been using tablespoons, measuring cups, etc. to log. I have just plain been avoiding anything that would need weighed and cannot be measured easily. I do have a scale. But.. do you think that my results are grossly inaccurate if I'm measuring this way? If I eat tuna fish i just read the package and measure 1/4 cup / 1 serving.. Is this okay?
  • 52cardpickup
    Options
    While we're on the subject.. You guys are weighing food?? I have been using tablespoons, measuring cups, etc. to log. I have just plain been avoiding anything that would need weighed and cannot be measured easily. I do have a scale. But.. do you think that my results are grossly inaccurate if I'm measuring this way? If I eat tuna fish i just read the package and measure 1/4 cup / 1 serving.. Is this okay?

Grossly inaccurate? Yes. Problem? Only if you've stopped losing weight.
  • mcrmaiden
    mcrmaiden Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I've been doing the exact same thing as you. I, personally, wouldn't consider that grossly inaccurate. >.> I mean, you're still measuring the food (1/4 cup) and putting that same food into the diary as the same amount (1/4 cup)... yes? So I'm not sure how it could be -that- off, if at all.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    mcrmaiden wrote: »

I've been doing the exact same thing as you. I, personally, wouldn't consider that grossly inaccurate. >.> I mean, you're still measuring the food (1/4 cup) and putting that same food into the diary as the same amount (1/4 cup)... yes? So I'm not sure how it could be -that- off, if at all.

It can definitely be off.

For example, the lunch meat I buy packaged, says 4 slices to a serving for x number of grams, but in reality, 3 slices almost always weighs a serving, so if I ate 4, I would be getting a 33% more calories than I allowed. Do that several times a day and you could eat up all your deficit quite quickly.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how much actually weighing my carbs out in grams, opposed to 1/2 cups, 1 cup, etc. has made a difference. It's so much more accurate this way.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    lol for me... bad food = brussel sprouts... blech lol :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've been doing everything right. Eating the right foods, drinking a ton of water and cut out all caffeinated beverages (except coffee), exercising daily or every other day or as much as I can at least.. But I'm not seeing any results :( it really puts my mood down and makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong . any advice ?

I didn't see any results for about the first month. I was doing everything right too. I was hoping for the "beginner's drop" that everyone seems to get. BUT, I'm not everyone.

Now my weight is coming off steadily. For some reason I'm just one of those people who take a little longer to adjust. Your body is saying "Wait, woah what are we doing?" but once it gets the jist it'll say "Oh ok, I guess I can let go of some extra fat and nothing bad will happen" Just keep at it! Be patient!

Many posters come in gung ho at new years and around this time (2 weeks in) are discouraged because they don't feel they are getting anywhere. Give it time! Don't be on e of the New Years resolution quitters!!

That was me when I first opened up my MFP account. I think my biggest problem though was not knowing how to properly log and really use MFP properly. It was nice to come back and see so much of the information that I was lacking be available in the forums.