Getting discouraged. Help?!

Options
I cannot begin to put into words how discouraged I am getting through this. This is the second week that I haven't lost a single ounce of weight. I have a LOT to lose (55 is my first goal but once I hit that I would like to lose another 75). I shouldn't have trouble losing weight. I haven't gone over my cals ONCE since I started using this website over 3 weeks ago. I walk for a total of 30 minutes every day during my 2 breaks at work and I go to the gym and do cardio in the evening 3 nights a week. I added weight machines for the first time this week in hopes of starting to firm up but I have only used them once so far so I don't think I'm gaining muscle weight. Plus I gained weight last week before I even started using them! I'm making my food diary public in case anyone wants to look at it and offer some advice. I am in tears because I am so frustrated. I went from eating fast food almost every day and having ZERO activity to starting on here and not having touched fast food (unless you count Subway two times) and working out on a regular basis.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't understand why the weight is not coming off. I'm not losing inches either...

Replies

• XxXstars9967XxX
    Options
    I cannot begin to put into words how discouraged I am getting through this. This is the second week that I haven't lost a single ounce of weight. I have a LOT to lose (55 is my first goal but once I hit that I would like to lose another 75). I shouldn't have trouble losing weight. I haven't gone over my cals ONCE since I started using this website over 3 weeks ago. I walk for a total of 30 minutes every day during my 2 breaks at work and I go to the gym and do cardio in the evening 3 nights a week. I added weight machines for the first time this week in hopes of starting to firm up but I have only used them once so far so I don't think I'm gaining muscle weight. Plus I gained weight last week before I even started using them! I'm making my food diary public in case anyone wants to look at it and offer some advice. I am in tears because I am so frustrated. I went from eating fast food almost every day and having ZERO activity to starting on here and not having touched fast food (unless you count Subway two times) and working out on a regular basis.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't understand why the weight is not coming off. I'm not losing inches either...
    exactly what im going through..feel free to add me if you want
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple- You are starving your body by not giving it enough fuel so its metabolism is shutting down. Eat back those exercise calories!!! I did, and I broke a plateau of 3 weeks myself before I believed in eating back calories...
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    All I can say is - don't give up! :flowerforyou:

It will work. You will see results eventually.
    I think sometimes the weight loss gets delayed because the body is in a state of shock. :smile:
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Ditto...it looks like you aren't eating enough! Try upping your calorie intake a little and see what happens.
  • SLMiddleton
    SLMiddleton Posts: 27
    Options
    Maybe your not eating enough? It looks like you have hundresd of calories leftoer each day...even before your exercise calories are added?
    Keep at it though and dont give up - you will get there! :)
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I glanced at your diary- watch out for sodium and sugar. Sugar is a big enemy-it can make your insulin levels spike and stop the fat burning process. Sodium makes us retain water-so it might be water weight that you aren't losing. Try a few days of all non-processed foods, just fruits, veggies, and lean protein like chicken breast without the skin. I've been baking chicken in the oven without any salt or oil, just some cracked pepper and it turns out pretty tasty. Try eating things like that for a few days to see if it helps. Most canned, bagged, or pre-made items are LOADED with salt and sugar so it you try eating only non processed items, it could help a lot.
  • thedobster
    thedobster Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't be discouraged....I am only losing a little myself...I've lost 3.4 lbs in 4 weeks...I think water is a necessary evil.I find getting encouragement on this site it helps.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Just looking at 4 days of your diary ........you are not eating anywhere near enough!!
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    In addition to what has already been said, try to cut the carbs out of the dinner as much as possible.

They are much harder to digest by the body and at night the body is slowing down, so eat your carbs during breakfast and lunch, and as you approach dinner and bed time try to limit them.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I glanced at your diary- watch out for sodium and sugar. Sugar is a big enemy-it can make your insulin levels spike and stop the fat burning process. Sodium makes us retain water-so it might be water weight that you aren't losing. Try a few days of all non-processed foods, just fruits, veggies, and lean protein like chicken breast without the skin. I've been baking chicken in the oven without any salt or oil, just some cracked pepper and it turns out pretty tasty. Try eating things like that for a few days to see if it helps. Most canned, bagged, or pre-made items are LOADED with salt and sugar so it you try eating only non processed items, it could help a lot.

I was going to mention this too. Most of the food you are eating is processed salty things. I think your sodium is high and you are also retaining too....
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    You may think it is crazy to eat a little more; but, I was told the same thing and it did help me. I don't eat all of my calories back but I do try to eat at least half of them.
  • thedobster
    thedobster Posts: 3
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing. I don't do weights, I do aerobics and walking and I'm stuck this week. I lost 8 lbs in my first two weeks and this week nothing.

I am going to stay positive and keep going like I have been, because it has to work! There is no way that we can go from eating over 5000 calories a day to 1200 and not lose weight. Our bodies are just adjusting to our knew way of life. It will work. Please don't get discouraged. I will add you and we can keep each other motivated :happy:
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Maybe your not eating enough? It looks like you have hundresd of calories leftoer each day...even before your exercise calories are added?
    Keep at it though and dont give up - you will get there! :)

Yeah, after looking at your diary it looks like you need to eat more. (I know, it seems illogical).

Try adding fresh fruit and drink more water.

Kind of a personal question, but are you constipated?
    I had terrible trouble with that my first couple of weeks. :embarassed:
    Again, I think it just takes your body a while to adjust to the new lifestyle. (More water and fruit should help.)
  • theresaaugello
    Options
    Weight loss can be VERY frustrating! Stick with it and you WILL get results! Make sure to eat and sleep is also VERY VERY important during weight loss.
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times a day and I am never hungry! I feel like I am stuffing myself! And I feel like I'm drowning in all the water I've been drinking! Do I just eat to get my cals up even though I'm not hungry?!
  • thetigerzeye
    thetigerzeye Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Glad you came to us before giving up! *hugs* like they said try to eat a little bit more and just pay attention and make sure you're not GAININg weight also take your measurements... maybe your not losing weight because you're building muscle... and that's a good thing because you'll still get THINNER but you'll weigh the same! Gl! And add me too ^_~
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It's a hard adjustment on your body. I did go through and look at your diary, and I know it sound crazy, but maybe you should be eating more. Make sure they are healthy calories.

Try adding fruit, nuts, whole grains. It gets more frustrating when you are feeling so deprived and nothing moves. Make sure you eat enough to satisfy you. I don't know what you were eating like before, but if you were in starvation mode before your are only exaserbating the issue.

Best wishes.

If you want you can take a look at my diary and get some ideas.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    yep I agree with most of what others said, not enough calories and too much sodium. Good job on the water though. Keep it up though it does get easier :smile:
  • Peridotite
    Peridotite Posts: 66
    Options
    Like stated above, after looking at your food diary you need to eat more. Sounds like a backward way to look at it but it is true.