Food withdrawl symptoms is it possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have been following the paleo diet now for 5 days. I keep having urges to eat the wrong foods. Will these urges go ever soon? Is it normal?

You've just made a drastic change to the way you eat, so it's normal to have a period of adjustment. I don't believe that the urges are physical so much as psychological because you are changing a habit or learned behavior by eliminating foods you associate with certain emotions or other triggers.

It reminds me of urges I had related to smoking - even after the nicotine was well out of my system, eliminating any possibility of it being a chemical cause, I would still have the urge to smoke at certain times (after meals, in the car, during stress) just because it was a behavior I had developed as either a habit or coping mechanism. It took much longer for that to go away than the withdrawal from nicotine, so I believe that a lot of what we associate with a "food craving" is just an urge to engage in the behavior rather than wanting the actual food.
  • NiceSmile17
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I have been following the paleo diet now for 5 days. I keep having urges to eat the wrong foods. Will these urges go ever soon? Is it normal?

You've just made a drastic change to the way you eat, so it's normal to have a period of adjustment. I don't believe that the urges are physical so much as psychological because you are changing a habit or learned behavior by eliminating foods you associate with certain emotions or other triggers.

It reminds me of urges I had related to smoking - even after the nicotine was well out of my system, eliminating any possibility of it being a chemical cause, I would still have the urge to smoke at certain times (after meals, in the car, during stress) just because it was a behavior I had developed as either a habit or coping mechanism. It took much longer for that to go away than the withdrawal from nicotine, so I believe that a lot of what we associate with a "food craving" is just an urge to engage in the behavior rather than wanting the actual food.

Thank u for ur helpful thoughts and kind words. It's nice to hear that instead of having everything I wrote picked apart and questioned