Any experience with Vessyl - cup that detects nutritional info of anything?

Options
Here's what it is: http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/12/5801106/vessyl-smart-cup-that-knows-exactly-what-youre-drinking

tl;dr it has sensors that can detect at a molecular level how many calories and macronutrients (as well as sugar specifically) are in the liquid you pour in it. This is, frankly, amazing to me but maybe the technology has been around a while.

A lot of comments and reviews remark on how useless it is - DUH, just look at how many calories are in the juice/soda/creamer you're drinking! Almost none of the reviews come from people who actually count calories and track nutrients. I see it being useful for

A) Not having to get out a measuring cup every time I want 1.5 cups of OJ or milk or whatever
B) Not having to weigh EVERY single fruit I put in a smoothie before blending (usually dirtying a bowl to weigh messy foods like berries)
C) Sharing smoothies and soups with my partner - I can add up all the info (takes a while but I'm used to it) but in the end we usually don't consume the same amount of the total recipe, and keep some of it as leftovers so I end up estimating anyways
D) Foods that have no nutritional info online due to the nature of how they're made. For example, soup stock I made from fresh veggies and beef bones, once all the solids have been strained out I have no idea how calorie dense it is or what the macros are. Or, blending and straining pomegranate seeds to make juice etc

Make an ambiguous soup stock? Just pour a cup of that *kitten* in the vessyl and you know the per-cup info for the whole batch. Make a smoothie by just tossing what looks good into the blender? Pour it in the vessyl and give the rest to the boyfriend. Make some almond milk and not sure how much actual almond is still in there for nutritional purposes? Whatever, now you know exactly.

Basically, you don't have to measure and weigh and enter data for anything anymore, if it's going to be in a liquid form.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Neat!
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would love that for my coffee, to not have to measure my creamer.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My hubbs took one look and was like "I call bull *kitten*."

I think if it is worth it Apple will soon have an iCup and all the Apple junkies will have one. :D

I can't see myself paying $100 for an electric cup... it doesn't even hold 32 oz! I would have to re-fill it too frequently.

Edit: It was one of the most interesting advertisements MFP has ever shown me though.
    ( https://www.myvessyl.com/)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    That looks really cool!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Shalaurise wrote: »
    My hubbs took one look and was like "I call bull *kitten*."

I think if it is worth it Apple will soon have an iCup and all the Apple junkies will have one. :D

I can't see myself paying $100 for an electric cup... it doesn't even hold 32 oz! I would have to re-fill it too frequently.

Edit: It was one of the most interesting advertisements MFP has ever shown me though.
    ( https://www.myvessyl.com/)

This +1. :smiley:

Or the diet/fitness industry.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Why does your husband call *kitten*? It's been demonstrated to work accurately. It is expensive for a cup, for sure, but it seems like pretty exciting technology.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Why does your husband call *kitten*? It's been demonstrated to work accurately. It is expensive for a cup, for sure, but it seems like pretty exciting technology.

Demonstrated by whom?
  • laurelobrien
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

Demonstrated by whom?

Many, many reviewers, using controls and very similar liquids (i.e. it can detect you've added 2 tbsp of simple syrup to a glass of OJ and updates the sugar/cals accurately) and so on. You can google any one of a hundred youtube demonstrations and blog reviews. It uses similar tech the FDA does to determine accuracy of nutritional information.

It's not, like, space age. No one doubts that's it's possible and that it works. It works. My question was what calorie-counting folks thought about its usefulness.

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    A good tip for avoiding dirtying another container when you weigh fruits to make smoothies is to put your blending container on your food scale before you turn it on, so it starts at 0, then add the fruit it. If you're mixing fruits, just turn the scale off and on every time you add a new fruit. The same goes for pouring drinks, just put your glass on the scale, turn on, change to oz or ml, and pour. I find it handy for making/mixing drinks and pouring wine.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's something I'd ever buy, just because I realistically can't see myself making enough use out of it for the cost to outweigh the novelty, but it's a pretty amazing technology, and I'm not surprised to see it come from a Queen's student.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Well, I mostly drink water but the geek in me really thinks it is a cool idea. I would consider it except that I have a windows phone which is not compatible. If they had a windows phone app I would very likely want to get one, but probably my boyfriend would be the one to use it (he drinks things other than water, but also has a windows phone). And it would be nice for the occasions I want to have something and don't know feel like measuring the ingredients to get the calories (this yummy tea drink I make comes to mind). The price is a bit high for me though, so I guess I am glad it isn't compatible for me right now.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    oh boy, give me something that measures solid foods and I'd be all over that.
  • laurelobrien
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    A good tip for avoiding dirtying another container when you weigh fruits to make smoothies is to put your blending container on your food scale before you turn it on, so it starts at 0, then add the fruit it. If you're mixing fruits, just turn the scale off and on every time you add a new fruit. The same goes for pouring drinks, just put your glass on the scale, turn on, change to oz or ml, and pour. I find it handy for making/mixing drinks and pouring wine.

I would do this except that my blender waaay maxes out the weight capacity of my scale, and most liquids I drink don't offer their measurements by weight (I guess I could measure 1 cup and weigh it and remember the weight, I spose)

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work. Yes, I've seen the "reviews".

It doesn't work.
  • laurelobrien
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

It doesn't work.

I haven't found this anywhere over hours of reading. Could you link please? I think it's worth it for me but definitely not if it doesn't work, lol.

• Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options

It doesn't work.

I haven't found this anywhere over hours of reading. Could you link please? I think it's worth it for me but definitely not if it doesn't work, lol.

I think it is more like... you can pay people to review your product positively... especially one that is not openly available to the general public for reviews from sources that were not specifically recruited to promote your product. Thus, they can say tons of wonderful things and edit tons of videos to make it look great, but that doesn't make it true.

I want to think it is possible, but I also don't want to resemble a crazy Apple fan.

funny-apple-launch-presentation-fans.jpg
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    oh boy, give me something that measures solid foods and I'd be all over that.

^
  • laurelobrien
    Options
    Shalaurise wrote: »

It doesn't work.

I think it is more like... you can pay people to review your product positively... especially one that is not openly available to the general public for reviews from sources that were not specifically recruited to promote your product. Thus, they can say tons of wonderful things and edit tons of videos to make it look great, but that doesn't make it true.

I want to think it is possible, but I also don't want to resemble a crazy Apple fan.

funny-apple-launch-presentation-fans.jpg

It's not made by Apple. And I don't see why they'd base their whole product on being able to do 1 thing, and then it is not able to do that 1 thing. I guess we'll find out. I don't really see why there's any reason to doubt what it does, seeing as its accuracy can be verified pretty much instantly, by anyone who uses one.

Again, my question is not whether or not it works, but what ya'll think about it as a calorie counting tool.

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My opinion of it as a calorie counting tool is entirely based on whether or not it works.
  • laurelobrien
    Options
    My opinion of it as a calorie counting tool is entirely based on whether or not it works.

Well then, let's assume it does work.