Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My husband presented the IF idea to me in July 2012 and I initially thought he was crazy. I was brainwashed to believe that my metabolism would suffer; I would die of starvation; and I would suffer "hunger headaches" as well as hypoglycemia... Here we are almost 2 years later and I still love IF! The beauty is that your eating window can be tailored to your lifestyle (my window is usually between 1 PM & 9 PM). The key is to ensure that you don't overdo it with the calories during your eating window. I did log my foods when I was trying to lose, but now that I am in maintenance I still IF but don't currently log (I am very mindful of what I eat though). I recommend IF because I've been very successful so far with it (over 80 lbs lost & maintained) and gaining lean muscle mass while losing fat.

this all sounds really interesting to me...BUT I reckon I could very easily overdo it in an afternoon/evening and also If I get toooo hungry I can easily eat a dinner's worth of food whilst prepping dinner!!

further tips? x
  • padrizzy
    Options
    I agree with you, I love IF because it's easy and narrows down what time I can eat, if I didn't have the guidelines for what time I can eat, I would be eating all day which isn't good. I been doing IF on and off and have lost weight consistently but this time I'm going to keep on it until I accomplish my goal. I would love to train fasted but I can't on my schedule. Hope your weight loss keep on!
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    I think that if IF suits your natural eating habits you can have a ton of success with it. There's so many people just naturally AREN'T HUNGRY until later in the day. I'm one of them. When I started out, I was forcing myself to eat breakfast and sometimes having to choke lunch down. Then I'd hit dinner, my 'natural' big meal and I'd go over or close to it and I was always on edge about eating.

That's what happens to me. I'm hungry at night. But I've always been told to eat 5 meals instead of 2 or 3.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    HLindsayA wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

So, as someone earlier mentioned, for those of us that are typically not hungry until later in the day, this way of eating normally works for me. The caveat to that being, I MUST have my coffee in the morning, and I absolutely can not drink it black. Does anyone have this issue?

Thanks!

I was just going to ask this very question :)

• Barbs2222
    Options
    Sorry I read slow, I'll try black coffee tomorrow. Can I still have my lemon water in the morning?
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    IF is most effective especially when you keep that blood sugar low. I DON'T mean dangerously low. but every time you eat or raise that blood sugar level your body has to stop burning and return to lower the blood sugar. So the longer you can keep that blood sugar low, the better. Most people love coffee, because of the sugar, but most people don't realize they also like it because of the caffeine.. I use caffeine supplements in the AM to get me going. By Lemon water, do you mean that sparkling flavored water which has sweetener in it? or do you mean water with a lemon wedge?
  • Barbs2222
    Options
    Water just with a lemon wedge.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    oh yes, that is totally fine of course, I did find a booster to this is green tea. Suck down as much of it as you can. Green tea contains bioactive substances like caffeine and EGCG, which can have powerful effects on metabolism.
  • Barbs2222
    Options
    Great thanks, I love warm drinks. Thanks for the great advise and for sharing :)
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    <<<<Before & After
  • minakshi703
    minakshi703 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi everyone,i have joined this group today,wats about this fasting ,it sounds intresting,Can some one elaborate this for me...
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Awesome...I am doing Fast-5 and yes IF simply is the best way of living for me...:)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I love IF! I am that person that would eat within my calories all day, and then inevitably go over at night. I can't fall asleep feeling hungry, so quitting food at 6-7pm was out of the question.

It's so good to hear that you've had success with it!
  • GretchenB02
    GretchenB02 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I did IF for 4 months and lost 20 lbs. I ate in a 6-8 hour eating window. It really decreased my cravings. You can have bulletproof coffee in the am. I would just put some coconut oil in my tea in the am. It isn't for everyone and you have to figure out what works for your body.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    so no banana splits?.... No...really....thanks for that reminder. Those high calorie foods can add up fast. How much are people losing per week doing it? I haven't heard any concrete numbers for weight loss?

I lost 1.5kg in one week having started back on Fast5...I still log in MFP diary though. my window is 5-10pm...
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do it, it's easy and I don't feel deprived most of the time. I tend to cut out dinner, and eat all day! As long as I still eat at a deficit, I lose. It's cheaper, simpler and it works. I am still healthy and have enough energy for workouts. If I feel like I need to eat though, I eat. Nice post!
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So, as someone earlier mentioned, for those of us that are typically not hungry until later in the day, this way of eating normally works for me. The caveat to that being, I MUST have my coffee in the morning, and I absolutely can not drink it black. Does anyone have this issue?

Thanks!

Hello! the meal I skip is dinner, that way the fast is longer and for most of it you're asleep, so it's not as difficult! I cannot give up my morning coffee, no way lady! :D
  • carinaut
    carinaut Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Ok, I don't know if I can explain this right, BUT: Recently, I've been to a lecture at my university by a professor of molecular biology who explained some experiments related to the influence of nutrition on ageing and health. He put in a lot of information in one and a half hours, so I don't rembemer all the explanations in detail.

Long story short, he said that using a small amount of plant based milk in your morning coffee does not ruin the effects of intermittment fasting. Sorry I can't really give you any hard facts :-) It was something about the antioxidants in the coffee...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Last week I ate my normal breakfast and a large 'breakfast' from Huddle House as early as noon and as late a 4 PM and ate next to nothing until the next morning and it really helped me drop about 3 pounds because I had been stuck at 215 for over a month. IF does work and did 40 years ago when I was in college.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!