Has anyone ever taken phentermine?

Options

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    My point is (paraphrased) : " FDA approval ain't all that" and anyone taking unnecessary drugs is taking an unnecessary risk, regardless of white lab coats and government agencies' magical "approval".

You don't need drugs, folks.

Old Nancy had it right way back in the 1980s: "Just say 'no', kiddies "
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Legal speed. Never again.
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    hedgiie wrote: »
    Yes, I did. Never ever again!

I didn't sleep. I was moody and depressed. I cried for no reason and had zero patience!!!

This doesn't seems to have any difference from illegal drugs. This is just a matter of FDA approval and a guy in a white coat to make this legal

There are plenty of other legal drugs that have a lot of negative side effects. That doesn't mean they have no use.

Personally, I think it's kind of rude for people who haven't used it, or maybe even have and didn't like it, to call it a "magic pill" or "silver bullet". Taking this medication is NOT an "easy way out". It's not a cure all. And my doctor never presented it that way, or let me think it was.

You know what the easy way was? Just staying fat. Giving up, not trying anything anymore, that would have been easy. Forcing myself to get on the phone, call my doctor (whom I greatly admire and trust, despite my general distrust of doctors - I don't like doctors, I don't trust the FDA, I don't think most doctors are good at their jobs - but I found one who IS good), so I get on the phone and call someone who I admire and have to admit that there is something I can't do without help? You think that's EASY? To admit that you have failed over and over again and just don't know what to do? Especially to someone who is clearly in good shape?

Yes, calories in / calories out - the equation is simple. The premise is obvious. But execution is not always so easy. I know the theory of how a rocket works, but I'm not going to build one on my own.

For a person to ask a doctor for help is not always easy. Taking a pill for a while to help you succeed at your goals is not cheating. I hope you people aren't telling people whose doctors prescribed them blood pressure medication that it's a magic pill. What about insulin for diabetics? Just because YOU can control your blood pressure without medication, everyone else should? Are my glasses a magic cure-all? Maybe I should just try to see harder.

If a doctor prescribed it, no one on the internet should be telling someone NOT to take their medication. The OP asked to hear from people who have taken it, not people who think the drug shouldn't even be allowed or that it's lazy to take it, which is what can easily be inferred from some of these posts. If someone asks for medical advice when they haven't seen a doctor, the response is to see a doctor. If someone says "My doctor prescribed me this", it's reasonable to share your concerns but just being negative about the drug because you don't LIKE the idea of it, that's irresponsible. Share your negative experience taking it, that's what OP asked for. Talking crap about it when you've never tried it is not.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sounds like amphetamine ( speed, whizz etc ) to me, which is illegal in the UK, but the side effects and weight loss sound just the same....ermmm a friend told me about it lol!
    No judgements going on from me, and i cant comment as havent heard of the drug you are taking, just alarmed by its name and side effects being the same, but hey if it works for you and you are fine on it, good luck hun x
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What is the plan after you lose the weight? Do you stop taking the pills? What happens with your appetite?

I can't speak for how anyone else is prescribed it, but my doctor's prescribed plan was a very low calorie vegan diet, which was very similar to the diet Dr. John McDougall outlines in "The Starch Solution" (you can google this and get a lot of info, but it's basically tons of starch [potatoes, rice, beans, etc], fresh veggies, and low low fat [including "healthy" fats])

This was very appealing to me as I had tried before to be vegetarian but had a hard time finding foods I *thought* were healthy enough. Once I stopped trying to use substitutes like veggie burgers and soy milk, and just switched to the recipes that fit the starch based diet, I was so happy.

So anyway his plan was to take it for 3 months and by then I would be used to eating so much fewer calories every day that I would be able to handle it once I stopped taking the pills. And I was for two months - but when I got pregnant I used it as an excuse to eat things I knew weren't healthy for me, and eat too much, and I did gain more weight than I needed to with this pregnancy. With my first baby (who is now 3), all of my baby weight was gone by 6 weeks, and with this baby (who is now 5.5 mo) I still have half of it to lose.

When I stopped taking the pills after 2-3 months my appetite did not really increase, and I think it's because I had a diet that really worked for me. The starchy foods really fill me up and are enjoyable. I think if you took the pills and just ate a very low calorie diet (because you're not hungry) of things that aren't filling or very nutritious, when you stopped the pills you would have trouble.

I can remember for years before I saw my doctor, I would often have days where I would almost binge eat at dinner and have a few hours of feeling very uncomfortably full, and regretting it. Since taking the medication, that has never happened again. I finally feel like I have control over my eating, and I'm pretty sure it's because I had a few months of having TOTAL control over it, not feeling like I was constantly hungry even after eating thousands of calories. Even when I wasn't specifically trying to diet, I never overate like that anymore, I think it let my stomach and my brain readjust to know when to stop better.

That's just my personal experience. I know people who had lapband done and they continued to overeat later and it stretched back out and they had it done again - nothing is a perfect solution that will work for everyone. My diet wouldn't work for everyone, but it works for me :) And I don't think I would have been able to even start if the doctor hadn't helped me. (I also have referred a few friends there, and one has lost like 65 lbs so far and it's been at least a year he's been doing it.)

Oh, also, my doctor wanted me to wait on adding exercise until I had lost some weight and had adjusted to the diet. He also checked my heart before and during the time I was on the meds, and made sure I wasn't having any bad side effects. I have had dry mouth my entire life, so I already constantly have a beverage, so I didn't notice any change with the meds. I guess that suddenly happening would be annoying but I'm just used to the fact that I will ALWAYS be thirsty because it's been that way my whole life. It's easy for me to get my daily water ;)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Please use the search function; this has been addressed many times before.

Yes, I've used phentermine. It was a godsend. Suddenly I was _not_ hungry, where before I was ravenous pretty much all the time.
    I knew it was a short-term aid, expected it to reset my hunger mechanism, and that's exactly what happened: I used it for a few months, got my hunger under control, got used to eating normal-sized portions, and the weight has kept coming off.
    The only side effect I had was that my blood pressure was very slightly elevated. Still within acceptable limits.
    No excessive energy, jitters, constipation, heart palpitations, trouble sleeping... nothing bad at all.
    I just stopped being hungry (while I was taking it). Now that I'm not using it I get hungry if I haven't eaten for 6 hours or so, which my doctor tells me is normal. I don't know; I've never experienced that before.

I did a blog post about prescription weight loss drugs. It has links to more detailed / technical info on most of the medicines.
    For the guy who said it's "legal speed", yes, it's related to amphetamines, but as I say in my blog post, "these are the refined, controlled, upper-class distant relatives who wear tuxedos to dinner."

For those who think it's a "magic bullet" or "the easy way out", and people should just use more willpower... if someone were in pain would you tell them they just needed to use willpower to overcome the pain?
    Or would you say it's OK for them to take a tylenol, or a shot of morphine (depending on how much pain they're in)?
    Hunger is a kind of pain. If someone can't get it under control, there's nothing wrong with using ALL the resources available to help.
    Controlling appetite allows a person to control calories in, which is the only way to lose weight. (Short of liposuction.)
    And when someone is not overly hungry, they can learn to eat normal-sized portions, learn about healthy eating.

51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote:
    What is the plan after you lose the weight? Do you stop taking the pills? What happens with your appetite?
    It's only approved for people who are obese (by BMI standards), or overweight and have other health problems.
    It's approved for short-term use (generally 2-3 months).
    So it can't be used all the way down to where someone is a healthy weight, and no reputable doctor will prescribe it for someone who's only a little bit overweight.
    It was my experience that phentermine reset my hunger to a normal level, so even now that I'm not taking it I'm not ravenous.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I am on it, and it works as long as you stick to a diet with it.
    Yes it is not a magic pill that will fix all, but try it is you think it will help.

You will get a lot of haters on this site for people taking prescription weight loss pills.
    They will try to down any one on it.

I will agree there are side effects. Sleeplessness and the need to drink a lot are what I had experienced. My sleeplessness only lasted for 4-6 weeks. (Some people will call it prescription speed because of this)

Yes if you take it to long it can leave long lasting bad effects. this is why a doctor should never prescribe this any longer than 5-6 months

Some people will tell you that you will gain all your weight back once you stop the pills. Not true, well as long as you understand that once off the pills you still need to continue your new way of eating. Of course once you stop the pills if you go back to your old way of eating you will gain it back. That is true of any diet.

Me I see the pill as a better alternative for me. I would rather take a pill that decreases my hunger than get lapband or have my stomach mostly cut out.
    While on this pill I am eating less and getting use to it. I also know when I stop I won't go back to my old ways. I know this because over the holidays while traveling I stopped taking my pill. I went to subway, got a 6" sub. I could only eat 1/2 of it. My body learned and my stomach could no longer eat a full meal. So two weeks with out it and I was doing good.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote:
    It's only approved for people who are obese (by BMI standards), or overweight and have other health problems.
    It's approved for short-term use (generally 2-3 months).
    So it can't be used all the way down to where someone is a healthy weight, and no reputable doctor will prescribe it for someone who's only a little bit overweight.
    It was my experience that phentermine reset my hunger to a normal level, so even now that I'm not taking it I'm not ravenous.

I was on it for over a year. I went to a shady 'weight loss clinic' and I was still on it at a 140 lb goal. At that point I needed it for energy to get through my day.
  • ccesq73
    ccesq73 Posts: 21
    Options
    "There are plenty of other legal drugs that have a lot of negative side effects. That doesn't mean they have no use.

Personally, I think it's kind of rude for people who haven't used it, or maybe even have and didn't like it, to call it a "magic pill" or "silver bullet". Taking this medication is NOT an "easy way out". It's not a cure all. And my doctor never presented it that way, or let me think it was.

You know what the easy way was? Just staying fat. Giving up, not trying anything anymore, that would have been easy. Forcing myself to get on the phone, call my doctor (whom I greatly admire and trust, despite my general distrust of doctors - I don't like doctors, I don't trust the FDA, I don't think most doctors are good at their jobs - but I found one who IS good), so I get on the phone and call someone who I admire and have to admit that there is something I can't do without help? You think that's EASY? To admit that you have failed over and over again and just don't know what to do? Especially to someone who is clearly in good shape?

Yes, calories in / calories out - the equation is simple. The premise is obvious. But execution is not always so easy. I know the theory of how a rocket works, but I'm not going to build one on my own."

Amen.

My doctor prescribed it after I was unable to make much progress for seven years after my hypothyroidism diagnosis. Like others have said it definitely causes dry mouth and insomnia. Don't be surprised if you also need an occasional Dulcolax.

I joined Weight Watchers the same day I started the medication. I also joined a gym shortly thereafter. I feel like the medication helped me stay on track while I was adjusting my lifestyle and trying to figure out what works for me.

Someone mentioned that the pills are expensive. I haven't found that to be true at all. In Atlanta they are $21 for 30 at Sam's Club. That's the nonmember rate.

• nbg127
    nbg127 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lost 85lbs on phentermine w help of a bariatric doc. Life long struggle between healthy weight and over weight. This medication helps reduce appetite. I was constantly hungry and this gave me control. Took over a year to reach goal so not a quick weight loss fix. I still record EVERYTHING I eat. Still workout regularly and have made permanent lifestyle and dietary changes.
    If you do the research, you will find that many people that struggle w weight have brain and metabolic imbalances that are helped with medication. The research on obesity is growing rapidly. Had zero issues going off (took it 3 months, 1 month off) during weight loss and maintenance.
    I don't currently take it but wouldn't hesitate to under a doctors care if needed. I currently maintain my weight through healthy living and practicing the changes I made. Slips happen but right back on plan ASAP .
    It's time that we don't judge others about how they become healthy, after all we don't judge people on medication for other health disorders (diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid disease). This should be a place to come for support and information. It's helpful to get that from those with experience.
    PS*eliminating simple sugars will help immensely!!
  • ashley92188
    ashley92188 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who has taken the pill and shared their experiences with it. That's all I was asking for. No need to be rude or judgemental. If u have never taken it y even comment?

But anyways this is only my 2nd week onit and I'm hoping to be successful. I'm excited and really believe that this will be the stepping stone I need to get my weight back under control. Im not looking for an easy way out but I have been struggling with my appetite for years now just constantly gaining weight even when I was doing everything right.
  • dancemom0311
    Options
    Hello everyone Im new to this site but not to being over weight have been my whole life. I have tried diet after diet. I have started phentermine yesterday and looking for support. YES I would like a magic pill to make me skinny but I also would like to be a rich! but something's in life I know just aren't going to happen. I started phentermine as an aid not as a pill to take and then just eat junk food to keep me going. As for most of us am an emotional eating and food has been my best friend. Im trying to learn to eat clean and healthy and with a little help from phentermine to not think of food at every minute. I understand that as soon as im off of phentermine that my best friend food is going to be knocking at my door but hoping in the time im on phentermine I can learn that I don't need food as a reward or as friend when im sad. I wish everyone luck with there life change! Hoping to find some people to help me with my support on my road ahead!
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm on my last month of it. It hasn't seemed to help much, but it hasn't had any nasty effects either. *shrug*
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do NOT do this! I only took phentermine for a few months, during which I had major sleep issues including horrible dreams. I developed problems with my heart which led to A-fib and sick sinus syndrome. Following a cardioversion (heart is re-started to get it back into normal sinus rhythm) I was placed on powerful meds for 3 years, including a blood thinner, until I agreed to have a cardiac ablation. The A-fib is now gone, but not the sick sinus syndrome. All this was related to the phentermine. And, this was under a doctor's care. I knew someone else who DIED after taking phentermine. Avoid it at all costs. Oh, and I didn't lose a pound---just peace of mind and $$$.

I'm not a pill hater. I was looking for an alternative to bariatric surgery, having struggled for years with morbid obesity. This pill is not the answer. Counseling, support groups, sensible eating, adequate and appropriate exercise and weight training, keeping a food diary...these are things proven to work. And that's the thing. It's WORK. It's HARD. And it's worth it. Skip the phentermine. Save your life.
  • TiffaniUT
    Options
    I took phentermine last year and lost 60 pounds by using it. It helped me lose weight so I could have pressure off of my injured knee enough to slowly start exercising regularly. It also gave me a TON of energy, which helped me to eventually start training and run my first half marathon during that time. It assisted me in making it through my day with enough energy to workout after a stressful day at work (at the time I was a preschool teacher), and also it changed my mood to be a lot happier. Only side effect for me was massive dry mouth, which forced me to drink more water (not a bad thing), and I would sweat during the day and feel anxious. It was a great experience…. However, I will say that I stopped taking it because I thought I had things under control, but I was wrong. I started dating someone (my future husband) and I stopped caring about my diet and exercise because I was in love, blah blah blah. Needless to say, I gained 40 pounds back from the 60 I originally lost. NOW, I am back on phentermine to jump start my weightloss again. I have no issues with the pill that I would tell someone not to take it. Every BODY is different and may react to certain medicines in various ways. In my personal opinion, it's a great resource to assist me in my weightloss journey to a healthy version of myself.
  • amytackett33
    Options
    And what happens when you stop taking them and your appetite goes back to "normal" ?

That's where self control comes into play. I think the pill is like a helper to get u on the right track as far as eating habits goes.

I took them loved the energy lost tons of weight , when ideal weight was met and dr stopped the med within 6 mnts I gained nearly half the weight back and I literally worked out 3 x a day faithfully didn't matter counting calories , exercising , I still put the weight back on ... There great for a quick fix to she's few pds for a vacation , wedding etc but nothing that gives lasting results or it didn't for me I guess ... Good luck !! H20 h20 and more h20 !!!
  • ajanderson84
    ajanderson84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I took it, and saw major success with it. I also managed without it when it was time to stop, and I didn't even step down from it... at the end of 2 months I just stopped. Yes I experienced dry mouth, and it took about a week to adjust to sleeping... but I found the energy I needed and developed the eating schedule and habits I needed to be successful when it ended. Sadly for me though, I stopped trying to lose weight about a year ago when I had some family stuff go down. However, I think the drug is highly effective if you're in the right mindset about it being a temporary tool/aid and not something to depend on.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that other folks had dry mouth...I thought it was something else.