Heart Rate Monitors for intervals & weight lifting

Options
I own a polar RC3 and I love that thing to death. I use it for every single workout whether I am doing long steady state, HIIT, or even strength training.

I have seen a lot of people on here talk about its inaccuracy in strength training and HIIT. I am just curious to see your thoughts.

The more sources, the merrier!

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have the under armor monitor but I have heard great things about the RC3! Heart rate monitors are still very accurate for weight lifting I use one when I lift, but I use it to make sure I keep my heart rate up, not for the calorie burn. Typically weight lifters use the TDEE method for tracking because the calorie burn caused by weightlifting can last up to 48 hours afterword.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have the under armor monitor but I have heard great things about the RC3! Heart rate monitors are still very accurate for weight lifting I use one when I lift, but I use it to make sure I keep my heart rate up, not for the calorie burn. Typically weight lifters use the TDEE method for tracking because the calorie burn caused by weightlifting can last up to 48 hours afterword.

I just like how people claim that they aren't accurate for intervals & weight lifting.

It is like saying, "oh my speedometer in my car only works when I am going to steady 35 mph but not when I accelerate and decelerate."

Of course it is isn't going to give you the right caloric burn because strength training & HIIT you have a great post burn.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't believe anyone says heart rate monitors are inaccurate for strength training. Heart rate monitor measure heart rate. That is what they are designed to do. I assume most major brands, especially with chest strap, would be accurate.

It is the calorie estimation that is the issue. They are not meant to measure calories burned but can be used to give an estimation under certain conditions. The algorithms for calories estimation that HRMs use is based in steady state cardio activity. Outside of that they are less accurate or totally inaccurate.

Here is a good post.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1044313/this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories/p1
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is really nothing to discuss. A HRM monitor uses algorithms to determine calorie burn estimations. The algorithms are designed to track steady state cardio.

Not sure what debate you are looking for as it's a fact and can't really be debated. 2+2 always equals 4 despite someone's opinion.
  • bingfit221
    Options
    Great link @3dogsrunning and @skysiebaby
  • bingfit221
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There was this one dude arguing that the HR it self is inaccurate because the HR monitor can't keep up with the constant up and down of the HR.

As far as the topic of V02 and caloric burns, that is practical.

Thanks for the links. It's nice to see it graph style.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    bingfit221 wrote: »

I just like how people claim that they aren't accurate for intervals & weight lifting.

It is like saying, "oh my speedometer in my car only works when I am going to steady 35 mph but not when I accelerate and decelerate."

No, it's more akin to cars with mpg displays. It'll always display something, but the accuracy may vary.

I don't *really know* anything about this, but I've read a bit and here's what I believe based on some common sense, some critical thinking, and some trusted sources/authors.

The problems with HRMs (or most any mass produced item) is that they are wonderful tools when the conditions they are used under most closely match the conditions there were programmed/built/designed for. A couple of examples. RVs are great for driving across country, but not so great for running to the grocery store. Ipods are great for personal music, but not so good for background music in a large room/group setting.

Calorie burns are based on increased O2 exchange at the cellular level. But you can't really measure that, at least not with a convenient, affordable consumer device. So many people use increased HR to assume increased 02 exchange. This is a safe assumption with most types of cardio exercise, but far less so with strength training (strength training produces a different response... I'll see if I can find the exact explanation in a bit). So HRMs are fundamentally poor devices for strength training.

Now, back to cardio... The problem here is that an HRMs use a fixed calculation for calorie burns regardless of the activity or the intensity. Try wearing your HRM all day and see what you get for a total daily calorie burn. In most cases, it'll be way off. Also, at similar HRs, you'll get the same calorie burn for swimming as you would for cycling. That's because the calculations made by the HRM make a lot of assumptions. If you're workout lines up well with those assumptions, then your estimate will be reasonably accurate. If not, who knows... it's a total crap shoot.

At least that's the way I think about it.

• bingfit221
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @jacksonpt I would not argue that they are not accurate for calorie burn. I agree with you. I am referring to the actually heart rate.

I use my HR as a guideline in my strength training. If I am bench pressing 110 just as I was last week but my HR is only 110 vs 130... maybe I should increase my weight. Wala. I increase my weight then my HR is up. I use it as a guide to see if I should be pushing heavier.

Now, if you wear an HR monitor all day to try to calculate BMR.. you're correct. There are a lot of things that are going to affect the caloric value you receive as in stress, caffeine, etc. It will be off I believe I read somewhere by at least 10%.

I strictly use my HR just for my HR. As in HIIT, ok, my heart rate was 180. I am at 90% of my maximum. I use it for recovery as to when I should proceed with my next interval.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Ah, yes... I'm not sure anyone arguing against HRMs is arguing against their HR monitoring ability. It's usually about their accuracy for burning calories.

If and how you train based on HR is a whole nuther conversation.
  • bingfit221
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Ah, yes... I'm not sure anyone arguing against HRMs is arguing against their HR monitoring ability. It's usually about their accuracy for burning calories.

If and how you train based on HR is a whole nuther conversation.

The funny thing, is that someone really tried to argue the accuracy for HR.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I'm sure *someone* out there will argue it... but I'm fairly certain that's not the typical argument against HRMs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't believe anyone says heart rate monitors are inaccurate for strength training. Heart rate monitor measure heart rate. That is what they are designed to do. I assume most major brands, especially with chest strap, would be accurate.

It is the calorie estimation that is the issue. They are not meant to measure calories burned but can be used to give an estimation under certain conditions. The algorithms for calories estimation that HRMs use is based in steady state cardio activity. Outside of that they are less accurate or totally inaccurate.

Here is a good post.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1044313/this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories/p1

they are inaccurate for strength training in terms of using the heart rate to calculate calorie burns.

Assuming it's properly calibrated- yes- it will continue to accurate track/log the heart rate regardless of the activity.

doesn't mean the calorie assumption is correct.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I definitely thought the OP was talking calorie burn estimations based on the simple fact that most people on these boards seem to think that is what HRMs are designed to do. My misunderstanding.
  • bingfit221
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @JoRocka

yes, correct.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Here is a good post.

they are inaccurate for strength training in terms of using the heart rate to calculate calorie burns.

Assuming it's properly calibrated- yes- it will continue to accurate track/log the heart rate regardless of the activity.

doesn't mean the calorie assumption is correct.

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or if I was unclear (I'm sick so that is entirely possible) but that was what I was trying to say.

OP - I haven't seen that argument before.
    As others have said, the argument is usually about calorie estimation.
  • bingfit221
    Options
    I am trying to find the thread of the dude arguing inaccuracy of actual HR.
  • bingfit221
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are only accurate if you're doing a "steady-state" cardio, meaning running, walking, biking - that sort of thing. If you're doing hefty cardio like Zumba, a fitness DVD, HIIT training, anything like that, your burn is not accurate because the HRM cannot properly track the rapid rising and falling (varying) heart rate, whereas when you're doing a steady state cardio, it generally remains in the same ball park if your pace is the same.

Yes, inaccurate for burn but not because it cannot track the rapid rising and falling heart rate.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I use a Mio Alpha wrist HRM connected to DigiFit for all exercise, including HIIT and strength. I've read that HRMs are not as accurate for these activities, but the calorie burn is consistent and within a reasonable variance from established tables (the HRM usually calcs less than the tables.), so I think it is better than just entering overall minutes into MFP and having a generic calorie burn calculated.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    bingfit221 wrote: »
    Heart rate monitors are only accurate if you're doing a "steady-state" cardio, meaning running, walking, biking - that sort of thing. If you're doing hefty cardio like Zumba, a fitness DVD, HIIT training, anything like that, your burn is not accurate because the HRM cannot properly track the rapid rising and falling (varying) heart rate, whereas when you're doing a steady state cardio, it generally remains in the same ball park if your pace is the same.

I'd question the source, and the degree of the inaccuracy he/she is suggesting. 2% is irrelevant. 25% is significant. I wonder what they are thinking.