Cardio vs Strength Training

Options
2»

Replies

• bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I found a great way to break up cardio activity, is alternating in between my strength training. For instance, if I am doing upper body that day, I will work in a few intervals in between main muscle groups.

ie... 12 sets on chest, 3 sprint intervals, 12 sets on back, 3 sprint intervals, etc....
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The only way I can stand using the elliptical for longer than 5 minutes is to stream TV shows on my iPad. I actually look forward to it now.

But if you really don't like cardio, you could just do strength training.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Do what floats your boat. Maybe, just maybe, you haven't found a cardio activity that you enjoy yet (I would rather chew on broken glass than spend hours on a treadmill or elliptical etc but I love running outside, snowshoeing, skiing, biking etc etc etc)

This. Elliptical is boring to me. So is the bike and treadmill. Running outdoors, however, is amazing to me. Also going a few rounds on the heavy bag is a great way to get your HR up without as much impact on your knees. Plus its great stress relief.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.
    2. If you don't like cardio, don't do it. It's not required for weight loss. Find what you like to do, and do that. Even if that's no exercise at all, you can still lose weight. Refer back to #1.
    3. Get off the machines and do compound lifts with free weights for a good full-body workout as opposed to isolation lifts, which will not be beneficial to you at this point.
    4. I agree that you should try HIIT. Say goodbye to the treadmill and elliptical, which are torture devices, and visit sites like FitnessBlender.com for more fun cardio workouts. You could also try cardio kickboxing. If you try a few things and still don't like it, refer back to #2.

I used to despise cardio. Now I like it a lot more, and have even tacked on extra HIIT sessions after I'm done lifting. I don't exercise to lose weight...I exercise for my health and fitness, and because I like to do it.
  • bingfit221
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fizzleh wrote: »
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

The afterburn effect means you'll burn more in less time doing it.

It also builds strength due to explosive bursts

You won't build any strength from HIIT, that's quite a popular myth.

Yes you can burn more cals in a shorter time, but if it's true HIIT you won't be able to do it very often which means over the space of a week you'll burn less calories than steady state cardio which you can do everyday without it impacting on other training sessions.

Even full time athletes don't do much true HIIT, so why regular trainees think they can do it regularly is beyond me.

http://www.acefitness.org/fitness-fact-article/3317/High-Intensity-Interval-Training/

They just released another article in the trainers journal about how you need 48 hours of recovery after HIIT because of the effects on your muscle fibers claiming too much would break down the muscle tissue.

Although they do say you can do long steady state when recovering.

That's the crazy thing about this industry is that everything is constantly changing.

10 years ago planks and lunges were the worst exercises you could do... now they are in the top of the field. Crazy.

BUT, in theory, HIIT you post burn calories up to 48 hours. Steady state, you do not. Therefore, you would probably still burn more calories via HIIT than steady state when you factor in post burn. They do say you burn roughly 5% more calories from fat via HIIT than steady state.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article about HIIT before it became the now "thing" everyone should do.

It was originally created and designed for intermediate to professional athletes to squeeze that little extra performance for competitive environments. By performing 15-20 minute sessions of a very specific activity (rowing, cycling, sprinting, etc.) these advanced athletes were able to improve their performance by 5-10%. The first group to put it on trial was an American Olympic men's rowing team. by doing HIIT, they managed to cut their 1000m time by about 20% - a huge improvement.

However, it's an extremely stressful, taxing, and difficult type of training. They only did it as a supplement to their regular training - maybe once or twice a week. It was never intended for a beginner, especially someone who has very little to no experience in training, and definitely not intended as your only form of "cardio" exercise.

The biggest thing one should remember is that, with doing it, you should rest afterwards. I don't mean "take it easy and do light exercise." I mean don't do a damn thing. Sit on your *kitten* and watch some tv. More recovery = more power during your next session = greater results.

If you just want to burn calories, you're better off doing a longer session of steady-state cardio, or doing regular intervals. You'll burn significantly more calories doing "lighter" (not really light though) exercise over an extended period of time.

If you're doing HIIT and manage to keep it up for an hour or more, you're not pushing hard enough.

Here's another reason why HIIT is designed for internediate or advanced athletes: The basis behind it is you're supposed to push yourself to 95%+ of your maximum effort for 20-60 seconds, then rest for 10-30 seconds. In that 10-30 seconds, your heart should go from 95+% of your maximum heart rate to resting heart rate. Only someone with an extremely strong cardiovascular system can do that. To achieve an extremely strong cardiovascular system takes years or steady-state and regular interval training. As a beginner, you'll only be able to get your heart to maybe 80% of your MHR, and in that 10-30 seconds of rest, it will only drop by 20-30bpm.

Technically, as a beginner, you're not doing HIIT, because you're not doing true intervals.
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bingfit221 wrote: »
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

Yes you can burn more cals in a shorter time, but if it's true HIIT you won't be able to do it very often which means over the space of a week you'll burn less calories than steady state cardio which you can do everyday without it impacting on other training sessions.

Even full time athletes don't do much true HIIT, so why regular trainees think they can do it regularly is beyond me.

http://www.acefitness.org/fitness-fact-article/3317/High-Intensity-Interval-Training/

They just released another article in the trainers journal about how you need 48 hours of recovery after HIIT because of the effects on your muscle fibers claiming too much would break down the muscle tissue.

That's the crazy thing about this industry is that everything is constantly changing.

10 years ago planks and lunges were the worst exercises you could do... now they are in the top of the field. Crazy.

BUT, in theory, HIIT you post burn calories up to 48 hours. Steady state, you do not. Therefore, you would probably still burn more calories via HIIT than steady state when you factor in post burn. They do say you burn roughly 5% more calories from fat via HIIT than steady state.

Very few could do enough true HIIT to beat steady state cardio over the period of a week.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/stead-state-versus-intervals-finally-a-conclusion.html/
  • bingfit221
    Options
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

Very few could do enough true HIIT to beat steady state cardio over the period of a week.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/stead-state-versus-intervals-finally-a-conclusion.html/

More so in an athlete than a regular joe, yes. I attempt to do true HIIT but I am not athletic enough to hit 90% of my maximum HR for 20-60 seconds. My HR is too conditioned versus how fast my legs can move haha. I am more so in an anabolic state of cardio.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MCIBTY wrote: »
    Your body stops burning calories as soon as you step off the treadmill.

well- this may come as some shock to you- but even laying in bed just barely breathing- your body is burning calories.

so stepping of the treadmill and saying you stop burning calories pretty much means you stepped off of there and had a heart attack.

Just saying.

That being said- people like to rave about EPOC from HIIT_ it's not like you can do 15 min of HIIT and continue to burn calories at 300 calories /30 min for the rest of the day- that's just not the way that works.

• bingfit221
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    MCIBTY wrote: »
    Your body stops burning calories as soon as you step off the treadmill.

well- this may come as some shock to you- but even laying in bed just barely breathing- your body is burning calories.

so stepping of the treadmill and saying you stop burning calories pretty much means you stepped off of there and had a heart attack.

Just saying.

That being said- people like to rave about EPOC from HIIT_ it's not like you can do 15 min of HIIT and continue to burn calories at 300 calories /30 min for the rest of the day- that's just not the way that works.

Be more specific about EPOC from HIIT and post burn. I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying HIIT you are not achieving EPOC?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No. I'm saying people say it lasts for every and you get some much more burn. It's not as much as people think- the "after burn" impact is just not nearly as big as people think.

People throw around EPOC for burning calories like zumba teachers throw out the tag line "BURN 600 CALORIES AN HOUR"

yeah there is a grain of truth to both- you get a good burn with zumba- and yeah- EPOC exists- but both are typically grossly over exaggerated.
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

More so in an athlete than a regular joe, yes. I attempt to do true HIIT but I am not athletic enough to hit 90% of my maximum HR for 20-60 seconds. My HR is too conditioned versus how fast my legs can move haha. I am more so in an anabolic state of cardio.

Yeah agreed, which is why most athletes in any sport do the bulk of their training at a moderate intensity.

• bingfit221
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    No. I'm saying people say it lasts for every and you get some much more burn. It's not as much as people think- the "after burn" impact is just not nearly as big as people think.

People throw around EPOC for burning calories like zumba teachers throw out the tag line "BURN 600 CALORIES AN HOUR"

yeah there is a grain of truth to both- you get a good burn with zumba- and yeah- EPOC exists- but both are typically grossly over exaggerated.

Oh I concur. EPOC is the body’s effort to return your body to normal levels as regards oxygen, blood circulation and body temperature. People misconstrue the definition constantly and hence, over exaggerate the post burn all the time.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

Yeah agreed, which is why most athletes in any sport do the bulk of their training at a moderate intensity.

Another big reason, using cycling as a metaphor, is "nothing will make you able to cycle further or faster than the number of miles you ride."

Basically, you need to build a foundation to which you will plant your training on. For a professional cyclist, that would be 50 miles of easy riding cycling every day, 6 days a week. No intervals, no hills, nothing but nice, easy, steady state cycling. That will make up about 75% of their training.

After that, you've got your more specialized training - hills, intervals, strength trainig, etc. That will make up the next 20% of their trainings.

After that, you've got maybe 5% of their training taken up by HIIT - but that will only be during the weeks approaching competition - just to squeeze every little bit of performance out of their body.

This whole "HIIT warmup before strength training" or "6x/week HIIT training" is ludicrous and will never give you as good results as if you mixed it up with lots of resting and lots of traditional exercise.
  • bingfit221
    Options
    @little_simon of course. An anabolic state of cardio is supposedly supposed to help your resistance to lactic acid build up.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    You don't have to burn extra calories. Just eat less and lift. And I'd recommend free weights and barbells over machines. Look into New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, or Stronglifts 5x5.

^This. Running and the like is a great tool for cardiovascular health, but if you are more interested in weight/strength training, you don't have to force yourself to do cardio just to burn calories. I look at cardio as allowing me to eat more and maintain cardiovascular health, and the gym primarily as a time to increase strength etc. Primary tool for less calories should be a lower caloric intake.

Another vote for this^. I don't do cardio. I do like to mountain bike but that's a summer activity (though I get to today. :smiley: ). I focus on strength base training and my body looks way better than it ever did than when I did cardio all the time. I'm also smaller than I've ever been as an adult.