*RANT* Sugar, sugar, sugar!

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    He spoke out against the royal family!

he's already in prison- I guess off with his head is next!
  • bluelaceangel
    bluelaceangel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Peque1130 wrote: »
    So according to MFP, I should only take in 27g of sugar a day. For breakfast I had a banana shake (1 cup of 2% milk, 1 banana) that put me at 28g....how am I supposed to NOT consume any more sugar when it is only 9am????

Yes, I know I should worry more about eating my calories and not under eating...and that is what I do, but it just made me realize how...unrealistic?...some things can be. Fruit has so much sugar in it yet we are supposed to base our 'healthy diets' on fruits and vegetables.

I do not base my eating on the grams of sugar I consume, but when it is only 9am and it is starring at me in bright red letters, it catches my eye.

I am eating my calories as I should, I try to eat them all and not go over, which this time around doesn't seem as hard...been losing slowly but surely and I feel good.

Ok, all done!

Anyone else feel the same way?

Happy eating!

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    can you please point out ONE insult I have made?

"If you cannot understand that concept well then- there is no hope for you."

It's generally considered poor form (and rather insulting) to assume that you're starting a discussion from a position of intellectual superiority to the person you're speaking with.

However, I'd prefer to discuss the actual meat and potatoes of what you mentioned as opposed to critiquing form, so I apologize for bringing the conversation down that path in the first place.
    Moving on:
    Just because you have a hard time with something doesn't make it inherently bad for you.... ....crack. let's say crack - see if this analogy works for you

say you and I both use crack.
    You can moderate your crack usage- and I cannot.- SO you have no dependency issues- where as I do.

guess what- crack is still inherently and unquestionably BAD for you- and for me.

Though part of me actually wonders if crack actually would be bad if someone could successfully moderate and experience no ill effect of their usage, this is probably neither here nor there, as smoking is "bad" in general.

However, we can use the same analogy with a far less "out there" substance - beer. I can moderate my usage, but you cannot -- beer is unquestionably bad for you, but not for me. Therefore, if you were to make a post that says, "hey, I'm looking for some things to drink at a bar that aren't beer, what would you recommend", a chorus of "you should have a beer, as long as you can fit the calories in" isn't really a useful answer to your question.
    The same cannot be sad for sugar- cardio or any other food that you consume outside of things that cause you physical issues- allergic reactions- insulin resistance- dependence.

People are quick to blame the food for the psychological issue- but that does not make the food bad. They have to address their psychological issues- but just because you hae an issue- doesn't mean the food is bad.

Saying a food is bad, "for me", is not the same as saying a food is bad, "period". It feels like the simple question of "what can I eat that isn't [blank]" makes you leap to the belief that the person feels that the food is inherently bad. I don't understand that -- they're simply asking a question. What's wrong with just answering it? Why assume their belief?
    As far as moving goal posts- no one has said anything other than sugar in moderation is fine for you and it is not bad- processed- refined - or natural.
    in excess- processed- refined and natural- will be bad for you.

No one suggested psychological issues till you all brought it up- everyone else was addressing the way the body processes it and the consumption of it. You all moved the goal posts- don't bring that on us- we have been addressing the same issue EVER time this comes up- it never changes.

I've quoted and directly outlined the goalpost moving that happened, and I did so because he specifically asked.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating refined sugar products, tracking sugar is a waste of time. If you eat fruit-based sugar, you are eating fiber along with the sugar, and the sugar is fructose not sucrose. Not only that - sugar is actually part of the carbohydrate count - so the reality is - the sugar you are eating metabolizes differently with regard to your blood sugar levels - and it won't store as fat so quickly as eating refined sugar. I don't track it - since I eat so much raw foods, I track potassium and sodium - hoping for the 2:1 ratio - knowing my fiber intake is huge and my simple carb intake is nonexistent.

If this is a huge concern, I agree that switching out bananas for a lower GI fruit is the best option. Remember, you can eat plenty of fructose prior to a workout because you will need that energy for an effective workout - so a banana pre and post workout is a great way to eat bananas in a day with regard to tracking your "sugar" intake. Helps with recovery as well.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    mrmagee3 wrote: »
    "If you cannot understand that concept well then- there is no hope for you."
    That's not an insult. Even if it is blunter than most softies will like.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    People keep mentioning the medical exceptions because without fail, this is how these threads go.

A: Sugar-- DISCUSS
    B: IT'S TEH DEBBIL!
    C: It's OK as long as it's NATURAL, by which I mean is either in certain fruits or is obscure and costs a fortune at Whole Foods.
    D: Sugar is not evil. Eat it if it fits your targets.
    B: But, IT'S UNCLEAN
    E: No, seriously guys, D is right. Sugar won't hurt you.
    F: BUT, BEETUS!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating refined sugar products, tracking sugar is a waste of time. If you eat fruit-based sugar, you are eating fiber along with the sugar, and the sugar is fructose not sucrose. Not only that - sugar is actually part of the carbohydrate count - so the reality is - the sugar you are eating metabolizes differently with regard to your blood sugar levels - and it won't store as fat so quickly as eating refined sugar. I don't track it - since I eat so much raw foods, I track potassium and sodium - hoping for the 2:1 ratio - knowing my fiber intake is huge and my simple carb intake is nonexistent.

If this is a huge concern, I agree that switching out bananas for a lower GI fruit is the best option. Remember, you can eat plenty of fructose prior to a workout because you will need that energy for an effective workout - so a banana pre and post workout is a great way to eat bananas in a day with regard to tracking your "sugar" intake. Helps with recovery as well.
    Fruits got fructose and glucose in different ratios depending on what fruit you eat. Sucrose is... fructose and glucose bonded together. When you digest it, your body breaks those bonds and leaves you with fructose and glucose and does what it would do with any fructose and glucose you would find in fruits too. And if you eat fruits, that's simple carbs. Glucose and fructose are simple carbs. Stuff like starch is a polysaccharid, "complex" carbs.
  • dbmata
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    People keep mentioning the medical exceptions because without fail, this is how these threads go.

A: Sugar-- DISCUSS
    B: IT'S TEH DEBBIL!
    C: It's OK as long as it's NATURAL, by which I mean is either in certain fruits or is obscure and costs a fortune at Whole Foods.
    D: Sugar is not evil. Eat it if it fits your targets.
    B: But, IT'S UNCLEAN
    E: No, seriously guys, D is right. Sugar won't hurt you.
    F: BUT, BEETUS!
    lol, basically.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    It's generally considered poor form (and rather insulting) to assume that you're starting a discussion from a position of intellectual superiority to the person you're speaking with.

It's not an insult. It's a reality- if you cannot understand this concept- there is no point further discussing it because I am- wholly incapable of reducing this concept to a level at which you might grasp it.

If anything- it's an insult to me since I lack the requisite tools to explain this concept-

That being said I find it to be conceivable and more than reasonable that I/we cannot reduce a concept more simply than we have here and have someone understand it- at which point- you just don't get and you wont' until your mind set changes.
    Though part of me actually wonders if crack actually would be bad if someone could successfully moderate and experience no ill effect of their usage, this is probably neither here nor there, as smoking is "bad" in general.
    I actually wondered similarly the same thing as I typed it- knowing it was an open hole that could be exploited- but I felt the analogy was strong enough to continue to use it.

As far as beer- no- let's say I can't moderate... but that does not mean beer is not bad for me.
    I just cannot moderate. That means I have a problem with my self discipline- and the answer is "don't go to a bar" or "grown up and learn how to say no".

The beer still processes the same as it would for someone who can moderate. It is not 'bad for me'

the only difference lies in when my self control breaks down and I consume way to much.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Fruits got fructose and glucose in different ratios depending on what fruit you eat. Sucrose is... fructose and glucose bonded together. When you digest it, your body breaks those bonds and leaves you with fructose and glucose and does what it would do with any fructose and glucose you would find in fruits too. And if you eat fruits, that's simple carbs. Glucose and fructose are simple carbs. Stuff like starch is a polysaccharid, "complex" carbs.

That's correct. There are distinct metabolic differences to how glucose and fructose are metabolized, with some people attempting to make a case that fructose ingestion can result in negative health ramifications over time (i.e., Lustig), but the science is pretty far from settled on that point.

However, comparing an orange to an amount of table sugar equivalent to the sugars in the orange is, in my opinion, unlikely to be a worthwhile endeavor from a health standpoint.

I would say, that given a completely random person, the recommendation to eat fruit as opposed to, say, a sugary beverage, is pretty reasonable. If you assume approximately 15g of sugar in an orange, the equivalent amount of Coca-Cola is like 6 ounces or less -- the food volume of the orange likely makes it more difficult to overindulge (which is where the fiber would come in for me), whereas the average American could pound a 20oz cola without much problem.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    What about orange juice? Mind blown
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It said outside a medical condition sugar was not bad.

Because it's not.

Except when it is.
  • dbmata
    Options
    orange juice?

Might as well just eat a pixy stick, it's just colored sugar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2015
    Options
    orange juice?

But colored by nature.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    If I added sugar to my bran flakes cereal, would that make it okay?
  • dbmata
    Options
    orange juice?

But colored by nature.

Probably by bugs.
  • bluelaceangel
    bluelaceangel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I AM GOING OUT ON A LIMB HERE BUT HAVE YOU SEEM OR TALKED TO A DIETITION? The reason I am asking is there are two types of sugars. Sugars that are natural like what you find in WHOLE FRUIT or simple sugars and complex sugars like cane or corn sugar and fruitose . it has to do with choices.. example you can have a small orange or a 4 oz glass of orange juice.. both count as one carb or 15 grams. The best choice is the orange because it also has fiber and is not processed nor has added sugar.

most diabetic meal plans count carbs not SUGAR. Why? Your body turns carbs into sugar! by counting carbs you are able to eat a healthy diet easier. THE KEY IS TRY TO EAT NATURAL FOODS OVER PROCESSED FOODS.. Fruit juices are processed.. and higher than eating a piece of fruit.

bananas serving size is about 4 -5 inches or 1/2 of a banana and that is 15 grams of carb .. 1cup of milk is 10-13 grams of carb so before you move forward you already have almost reached 2 carbs for this meal.. the window for carbs in any meal is between 3-4 carbs or 45-60 grams total.. you can add protein to your shake to make it more filling just be careful. a simple boiled egg eaten mid morning as a snack should carry you over without battling hunger until lunch

snacks are best when you have a protein with a carb.. like a few crackers and an oz of cheese or a small apple with a tbsp. of peanut butter.. they hold you over longer until your next meal

so.. if you stick to counting total carbs over sugar as well as calorie count you should be on track.. fiber is your friend so please see that you get enough ..

bottomline: if you can not see a dietitian .. get the AMERICAN DIABETES MEAL PLAN FROM THE AMERICAN DIABETES ASSOCIATION.. it gives you the meal plan along with what is a serving.. it also helps you plan out you meals for the day..

I hope I have helped some..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    orange juice?

But colored by nature.

Probably by bugs.

Natural bugs
  • JoRocka
    Options
    orange juice?

But colored by nature.

which makes it inheriently better?

I color my hair because my natural color sucks. but the color I chose is natural- so i mean that makes it okay?

it's just such an insipid line of thought. natural does not automatically mean better.
  • dbmata
    Options
    only if the natural bugs are natural, Jo.

Because fruitose.