So I'm close to my 'happy' weight but body shape doesn't make me happy!

Options
Hi

Okay, so I'm 5ft, I was about 8st 7lb and felt rubbish about myself. I've lost the 7 pounds and I'm about 8st now. I've been spinning my *kitten* off for the last 2-3 months, and recently started Body pump.

However...! I've still got quite a belly (34inches so does need shrinking) and a bit of fat that needs shifting. I'm eating pretty healthily and cheating a little on the weekends. (If I didn't, I wouldn't have stuck to being healthy). Do I just need to keep up the exercise to shift more fat? Does that mean my weight will also need to drop a bit? Although hopefully I'll build a bit of muscle from Body pump.

I'm not in any rush, but I (stupidly) thought if I got back to my normal 8st weight then my body would also be a lot slimmer. I'm more skinny fat if that makes sense! Advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight training
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    body recomp is achieved by lifting weights (I have never personally witnessed it with any cardio)... and it sounds like that is what you are wanting to achieve.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weight training

/close thread
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Give Body Pump some time. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Weight training

/close thread
    for sure

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Body pump is essentially resisted aerobics.

Any time you can do 20 reps of a given weight you are not engaging the anaerobic chain. You are in the aerobic chain.

If you have a good instructor it can help you learn proper form because you do so many reps.

Check out a beginner's weight lifting program like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, etc.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Weight training

/close thread
    for sure
    Yep. Forget the scale, start lifting heavy.
  • clf1284
    clf1284 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Weight training
    I'm in the same boat and this was the answer I was sure to find. I absolutely hate any form of strength exercises. I will do cardio all day long. But despise strength. I guess I will just have to put on my big girl panties and get over it and do it anyway
  • clambert1273
    Options
    clf1284 wrote: »
    Weight training
    I'm in the same boat and this was the answer I was sure to find. I absolutely hate any form of strength exercises. I will do cardio all day long. But despise strength. I guess I will just have to put on my big girl panties and get over it and do it anyway

hahaha I am the opposite.. despise cardio with every fiber of my body...
  • Sharl_120
    Sharl_120 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks. You guys are stars. Ill read that thread tonight. I thought lifting heavy was the answer but I must admit I'm also slightly intimdated by it too. Mainly cause I want to be good at it now!! I shall give it some time. Clf1284 - I'm just like you. Slightly addicted to the endorphins! Just got back from spin. I love it so much!! I never thought I would say that!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    look into 5x5, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman...

eat at maintenance and lift heavy ...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Sharl_120 wrote: »
    Perfect! Thanks. You guys are stars. Ill read that thread tonight. I thought lifting heavy was the answer but I must admit I'm also slightly intimdated by it too. Mainly cause I want to be good at it now!! I shall give it some time. Clf1284 - I'm just like you. Slightly addicted to the endorphins! Just got back from spin. I love it so much!! I never thought I would say that!!

This was me. I waited months I wish I hadn't because I was scared to walk in the gym and look like a complete newb. So I started with the machines because I could figure them out. I got much stronger. Once running season is over my plan is to get into free weights. It's a company gym so there are no personal trainers but I'll figure things out. :)
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Weight training

^^^^^^ this

• Sharl_120
    Sharl_120 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Wow! I knew lifting was good, but wow! Definitely listening. Cardio has really helped my asthma so I was reluctant to give it up.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    clf1284 wrote: »
    Weight training

hahaha I am the opposite.. despise cardio with every fiber of my body...

Same. I can't stand cardio and only do it against my will. At the most I'll do 10 minutes on the elliptical and then I'm done and I'm off to the free weights and barbells. Lifting heavy is my happy place :D
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Sharl_120 wrote: »

Wow! I knew lifting was good, but wow! Definitely listening. Cardio has really helped my asthma so I was reluctant to give it up.

he was getting really really skinny... like yuck... then BAM... totally body transformation :) It goes along with the other thread I posted as well.. there is a reason and VERY good ones to weight train :)
  • clambert1273
    Options
    and as a female - your body will thank you for it later like fighting osteoporosis (sp?)