3+ Weeks, no cheats, no days over, gained 2 lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    bteeter2 wrote: »
    Well, I have a hard time believing that at 6'2" light/moderate activity I should be at less than 1720 per day but its possible.

I tried cutting out salt completely yesterday. I also stuck right to my calories strictly, worked out and still up another 0.25 lb today. I've gone up about 0.25 lbs or steyed the same every day this week. I'm now at 211.8, which is where I was a month ago.

I feel like I need to do something drastic to break the plateau I just don't know what.

Do you weigh your food with a scale?
  • j_ringsaker
    j_ringsaker Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your sodium is high, but dude....EAT BREAKFAST!!!!!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

If he doesn't want to eat breakfast, he doesn't have to. The problem is he's eating too much overall.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    In case if helps at all, we're almost twins numbers-wise, current weight and height and I lose 0.5-1 lb a week at 2200 cals a day, moderately active with 12-13K steps a day walking and a simple push-ups, DB b-o rows, DB squats, planks workout every other day.

Even over the Christmas, New Year's weeks when I didn't log and ate a lot extra I didn't gain. I do tend to eat "clean", avoid salty and highly processed packaged food, no fast food worse and a sub, lunches and dinners almost always homemade and involving a lot of chicken.

Just passing that along since other seem to find it helpful to compare.
  • adora85
    adora85 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I recently looked at your diary...you are injesting a lot of sodium. You have chips, fries, and samosas on your diary. You may be under your calorie goal but you are often going over in fat, sodium and carbohydrates. A calorie is not just a calorie. You should be having more fruits and vegetables not refined carbs and sodium rich meals.

Try to eat clean: whole grains, lean proteins, nuts, seeds fruits and vegetables. REAL food to fuel your body.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    Interesting video you might enjoy. If your not into the sciency stuff just watch the last 30.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y

Lustig???? YGBFKM
  • prattiger65
    Options
    adora85 wrote: »
    I recently looked at your diary...you are injesting a lot of sodium. You have chips, fries, and samosas on your diary. You may be under your calorie goal but you are often going over in fat, sodium and carbohydrates. A calorie is not just a calorie. You should be having more fruits and vegetables not refined carbs and sodium rich meals.

Try to eat clean: whole grains, lean proteins, nuts, seeds fruits and vegetables. REAL food to fuel your body.

Nonsense
  • prattiger65
    Options
    OP, its a simple math and science equation. Notice I said simple, not easy. You have to burn more calories than you consume OVER TIME. It makes not one bit of difference where those calories come from when it comes to WEIGHT LOSS. Sodium will make you retain fluid, but that will wax and wane with the intake and that is generally where you see the daily fluctuation. If you scale doesn't move any OVER TIME, you are eating too much for the level of expenditure you have. Please don't listen to the nonsense about different macros or foods being "bad", there are no "bad" foods in and of themselves. We get fat when we eat TOO MUCH of anything. Especially run from anything containing the names Dr. Lustig or Dr. Mercola.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    OP, its a simple math and science equation. Notice I said simple, not easy. You have to burn more calories than you consume OVER TIME. It makes not one bit of difference where those calories come from when it comes to WEIGHT LOSS. Sodium will make you retain fluid, but that will wax and wane with the intake and that is generally where you see the daily fluctuation. If you scale doesn't move any OVER TIME, you are eating too much for the level of expenditure you have. Please don't listen to the nonsense about different macros or foods being "bad", there are no "bad" foods in and of themselves. We get fat when we eat TOO MUCH of anything. Especially run from anything containing the names Dr. Lustig or Dr. Mercola.
    Truth.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Your sodium intake is really high.

You may have lost some weight but the high sodium is masking it.

You should probably eat more protein though. You're 6'2, 220 lbs but consuming the protein intake of a 100lb woman lol.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Did you create the potatoes fried in olive oil entry yourself? 220 calories for a cup of potatoes in olive oil sounds really low -- 1 tbsp of olive oil alone has 120 calories.

Same question about the stir fried tofu entry (1.5 cups for 220 calories). It depends on the type of tofu you use, but 0.5 cup of firm tofu has around 80 calories, so that's already over 220 calories before you add any oil.

It's always better to log the individual components of a dish than pick an entry from the database that sounds like what you ate. Also, did you say whether or not you're using a food scale? If not, you should be. They're cheap -- I think I paid about $18 for mine on Amazon.
  • MorRioghan
    MorRioghan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Alright, so here is what I see:

1. A high fat, high sugar, low to medium protein and high carb diet
    2. Copious amounts of sodium
    3. A lack of non-starchy vegetables
    4. Some very high fitbit calorie adjustments

Eyeballing it, you are eating 1/2 a cup of sugar on average a day. Not from milk, fruit or sweet vegetables either. It seems to be coming from added sugar (ie processed foods).

Yes, a calorie is (somewhat) a calorie but sugar has this interesting way of making you hungrier.

My advice- start cooking more and eating processed food (including "vegetable mixes" with added sugar).
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,405 Member
    Options

I've lost 122lbs not eating breakfast. Meal timing is irrelevant, quit beating that dead horse.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That diary looks awfully familiar...have we been through this before?
  • bteeter2
    bteeter2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Yeah, I always take that stuff with a grain of salt. I know someone who's been dieting forever and they "eat clean" and as much as they want because its "healthy" but don't count calories. Basically they are always wondering why they never lose weight.

The thing is, I'm a Vegan, have been for 6 years now. I already eat pretty damn well. I will readily admit, I am a carb fiend, so dieting has been hard in the sense that I used to live on chips, fries, potatoes and rice.

I've cut back to eating probably 1/4 the carbs I used to - probably less even. I'm not even hardly ever hungry anymore so its not like I'm suffering. 2K calories a day feels like I ate at a buffet to me now.

I just want to see the results.

I never cheat. I measure all my food. I do not weigh it, maybe that's an issue, but I measure with measuring cups everything I eat at home.

If I'm out, I overestimate what I ate to cover. You'll see Red Robin on my chart a lot. I love their Boca burgers and fries. But, I never actually eat the 20 fries I log. I log 20 just to be sure. Most of the time I might eat 10.

I don't sneak anything and not log it. I even log the damn ketchup I put on food.

I am stronger than I was 6 months ago, and maybe I'm swapping muscle for fat which could be part of it too. I'm pretty regularly weight lifting, running, doing elliptical and playing baseball.

Anyways, a bit of a rant, but thank you for confirming what I already knew.

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    bteeter2 wrote: »
    I never cheat. I measure all my food. I do not weigh it, maybe that's an issue, but I measure with measuring cups everything I eat at home.

I guarantee that the bolded text IS the issue.