Super Tired...

Options
Yesterday we started back on a much more clean eating life style than we had been on during our overly long hiatus. I cut out sugary beverages because I had been drinking way too much of it before. I am still drinking a cup of coffee in the morning but man, sometime around 2pm both yesterday and today a huge wave of utter exhaustion has hit me. I don't remember last time around if I was this tired a couple days into my diet. Is it just my body detoxing all the crap and getting readjusted to eating good clean foods again? I took a short half hour nap yesterday when it hit and I was good the rest of the day after. But I think I am going to just try to push through it today.

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    not its not detoxing of crap its telling you that you aren't eating enough...
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You might need a snack. Or, you might be coming down with a bug. Since the nap fixed it, maybe you are tired :)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I tried the low carb diet one time when it was really popular. My sugar dropped so bad, I felt dizzy and tired. I have given up sodas but I eat fruit and things like that to make sure to keep my sugar stable.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options

I don't think it is that at all. I have been eating anytime I am hungry, including healthy fats and whole grains, protein, dairy, fruits and veggies, etc.

My other suspicions include these. I have long before experienced bad exhaustion (sometimes where I would still be tired after 12 hours of sleep) so I have suspected I could have a thyroid problem. Additionally, with my superfluous intake of sugars for pretty much the last year, I suspect I was getting dangerously close to giving myself diabetes- I would often get very tired if I went a few days without sugary snacks. I suspect this could be the same- maybe my blood sugar levels are trying to reset.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Possibly a silly question but are you still getting the same amount of sleep at night? Good, unbroken sleep? Were you drinking more caffeine in your sugary drinks than you're currently getting? If so, you might need an extra cup of coffee in the afternoon to compensate. Are your new healthy foods comprised of lots of carbs? It could be low blood sugar.
  • candacefausset
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I tried the low carb diet one time when it was really popular. My sugar dropped so bad, I felt dizzy and tired. I have given up sodas but I eat fruit and things like that to make sure to keep my sugar stable.

I am not trying low carb but I think that might be part of my problem since I was taking in so many sugary beverages and not so much now.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    yeah... the time in 2010 I tried that 1200 calorie intake.. I was TIRED... it was not eating enough period... the minute I ate more, I felt better and still lost weight. So I am not way off base :)

And you would definitely know if you had a thyroid issue... I have that Hashimoto's and Hypothyroid..
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Well yeah, cutting way down on your sugary beverages suddenly can make you tired. It's not "detoxing" -- you just need to give yourself time to adjust.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    you need a nice glass of wine... or 3.whiskey works too.
  • candacefausset
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Possibly a silly question but are you still getting the same amount of sleep at night? Good, unbroken sleep? Were you drinking more caffeine in your sugary drinks than you're currently getting? If so, you might need an extra cup of coffee in the afternoon to compensate. Are your new healthy foods comprised of lots of carbs? It could be low blood sugar.

I'm ashamed to say I was drinking about 40-60 ounces of soda a day. Of course Dr. Pepper is my poison of choice so that in addition to my daily cup of joe- I was definitely getting more caffeine than I am now. But I want to cut down on caffeine a lot so am trying to limit myself to one cup a day.

If I take a melatonin I sleep relatively well but otherwise, I sleep horribly. Night before last I took a melatonin but did not do so last night. I don't know if the inconsistency could play a part in it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I'm ashamed to say I was drinking about 40-60 ounces of soda a day. Of course Dr. Pepper is my poison of choice so that in addition to my daily cup of joe- I was definitely getting more caffeine than I am now. But I want to cut down on caffeine a lot so am trying to limit myself to one cup a day.

If I take a melatonin I sleep relatively well but otherwise, I sleep horribly. Night before last I took a melatonin but did not do so last night. I don't know if the inconsistency could play a part in it.

It could. Trust me, I used to drink caffeine all day. It's really hard to quit cold turkey. I had the worst headaches!

Try adding in another half of a cup of coffee in the afternoon for awhile and see if that helps perk you up so you can ease out of it gradually. It's harder to do at work but when I want a nap on the weekend I actually go out for a short run. Sounds crazy but boy, do I feel so much better after. Perhaps a walk to stretch your legs and get your blood pumping instead?
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Lol, you're crashing. Have more snacks and try to get more sleep. I had pretty much the same issue until i started splitting my meals more evenly. You can jump straight to Diabetes/Thyroid stuff if you really want to, but I really doubt it. I used to drink a minimum of 3 energy drinks and 2 cokes a day before I started dieting; Yes I crashed, no it wasn't diabetes. After a week or so my body got used to not relying on caffeine.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Caffeine withdrawal.
  • KJulian3
    KJulian3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I don't think it is that at all. I have been eating anytime I am hungry, including healthy fats and whole grains, protein, dairy, fruits and veggies, etc.

My other suspicions include these. I have long before experienced bad exhaustion (sometimes where I would still be tired after 12 hours of sleep) so I have suspected I could have a thyroid problem. Additionally, with my superfluous intake of sugars for pretty much the last year, I suspect I was getting dangerously close to giving myself diabetes- I would often get very tired if I went a few days without sugary snacks. I suspect this could be the same- maybe my blood sugar levels are trying to reset.

I looked at your diary and even though your goal is set to 1200 you are eating less than that. A doctor will tell you that nobody should EVER eat less than 1200 calories a day. your body cannot get what it needs off of anything less than that.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Caffeine withdrawal.

• candacefausset
    Options
    yeah... the time in 2010 I tried that 1200 calorie intake.. I was TIRED... it was not eating enough period... the minute I ate more, I felt better and still lost weight. So I am not way off base :)

And you would definitely know if you had a thyroid issue... I have that Hashimoto's and Hypothyroid..

I did it before for about 4 months before I got pregnant and my energy levels were through the roof for the most part. I was also doing more cardio and eating my exercise calories back. When I got pregnant, my energy levels plummeted (because I was making a human being) and that's how I knew I was pregnant. Went back to a normal calorie level for pregnancy and was still pooped for the rest of the first trimester.

How would one know they have a thyroid issue? I haven't seen a normal doctor in 5 years due to no health insurance so I have no way of knowing for sure yet. We get it finally next month and I will be going to have it checked. I often have little to no energy, am super forgetful and have been suffering from depression. This all happened after my son was born and it is known that more women suffer from thyroid problems after having a baby.
  • candacefausset
    Options
    KJulian3 wrote: »

I looked at your diary and even though your goal is set to 1200 you are eating less than that. A doctor will tell you that nobody should EVER eat less than 1200 calories a day. your body cannot get what it needs off of anything less than that.

I haven't logged everything the past couple days because I am just now getting back into routine.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Serious suggestion: a warm cup of full sodium chicken broth. Seriously.

I picked that up from a book I read a few years back. I don't necessarily recommend a ketogenic diet for anyone but it was an interesting read back when I was tinkering with such things. (keto + crossfit = bad...don't do that) The chicken broth thing, however, seems to help people when they cut a bunch of junk out of their diets all of a sudden.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    probably a mix of caffeine and sugar withdrawal. My brother also used to drink an extreme amount of Pepsi and when he got off pepsi, he switched to energy drinks. I'm pretty sure between his coffee and his energy drinks he's flying pretty high so if he was to stop cold turkey, he'd be feeling pretty tired and lethargic too.

Drink lots of water, make sure you eat within your calories. Perhaps ease up on being low carb until you start feeling a bit better from the lack of Dr. Pepper.

Good luck!
  • candacefausset
    Options
    KJulian3 wrote: »

I haven't logged everything the past couple days because I am just now getting back into routine.

And before that I was logging once in a blue moon lol