Headaches after the gym?

Anyone else have this problem? I have found I can only go to the gym late at night so when my headache sets in I go to sleep and wake up fine. If I go to the gym during the day work out for an hour or so ... 40 cardio 20 weights within an hour my head starts pounding and I get horrible migranes/headaches. I'd love it if anyone has any suggestions or advice
Thanks!

Replies

• acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Are you staying hydrated? That could be a cause
  • emmab852012
    emmab852012 Posts: 82 Member
    I drink so much water when I am at the gym.. Maybe over a litre in just an hour
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    High blood pressure, if you are working out hard and it spikes I have had this happen.
  • Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    Another possibility might be low blood sugar? Sometimes if I am working out hard and I haven't in awhile, I get some low blood sugar symptoms. I bring a small bottle of orange juice and sip on it periodically throughout the workout.
  • 28toesonthenose
    28toesonthenose Posts: 1 Member
    cindytw wrote: »
    High blood pressure, if you are working out hard and it spikes I have had this happen.
    Agreed.. talked to my doctor about it.
  • When was the last time you had your BP checked? (Blood Pressure.) You can stop by one of the chain pharmacies that offer free BP reads. Some have a self-check BP unit near the pharmacy counter. I'd just check to make sure it is within normal range. You can take one adult aspirin 45 minutes prior to your workout; this may prevent the headache as aspirin is a great blood thinner and anti-inflammatory, both of which should prevent your headache.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited January 2015
    Working out isn't going to really increase blood pressure. That isn't how high blood pressure works. A heart that is beating faster from exercise doesn't mean there will be more pressure on the top or bottom number. If anything, working out will help blood pressure.

The most likely issue is dehydration, followed by some sinus congestion which can cause pressure headaches after you workout, then perhaps stress headaches.

Talk to your doctor if it is persistent.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    I have this problem also and I also sometimes have nausea when I do the boxing/circuit training workout that I have started doing several times a week. I sweat so much sometimes that my clothes are drenched with sweat usually by the end of some of the classes. These are symptoms of dehydration and I suspect that is why I have these symptoms. This also may be what is going on with you too. It is possible that it could be BP spikes or your blood sugar dropping so I would cover your bases and see a medical professional if it continues.
  • cindytw
    Working out isn't going to really increase blood pressure. That isn't how high blood pressure works. A heart that is beating faster from exercise doesn't mean there will be more pressure on the top or bottom number. If anything, working out will help blood pressure.

The most likely issue is dehydration, followed by some sinus congestion which can cause pressure headaches after you workout, then perhaps stress headaches.

REALLY?? Because my DOCTOR told me this and it is also right here on Mayo Clinic. mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/weightlifting/faq-20058451

It doesn't raise it overall but spikes can cause headaches and migraines. One of my worst migraines was after a really tough personal training session.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    edited January 2015

REALLY?? Because my DOCTOR told me this and it is also right here on Mayo Clinic. mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/weightlifting/faq-20058451

It doesn't raise it overall but spikes can cause headaches and migraines. One of my worst migraines was after a really tough personal training session.

Sure, for people with asininely high blood pressure, I suppose that is the case. 180/110 is crazy high and the person probably shouldn't even be standing up with that kind of BP let alone working out if it is untreated...Regular exercise will lower the BP not raise it. The long term benefits outweigh the short term stress on the heart. It says so even in that article.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Anyone else have this problem? I have found I can only go to the gym late at night so when my headache sets in I go to sleep and wake up fine. If I go to the gym during the day work out for an hour or so ... 40 cardio 20 weights within an hour my head starts pounding and I get horrible migranes/headaches. I'd love it if anyone has any suggestions or advice
    Thanks!

Used to happen to me a lot. They'd turn to straight migraines.

I made sure my water intake was up to snuff, and started using nuun tabs. I'm electrolyte sensitive and sweat heavy. I was throwing stuff off. The nuun tabs fixed the issue completely.
  • dbmata

Heavy work outs may have me at 3+ litres an hour, fyi.
  • dbmata

Sounds like your doctor needs a little continuing ed time.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    dbmata wrote: »

Heavy work outs may have me at 3+ litres an hour, fyi.

A lot of people underestimate how much water they lose during a workout. Dehydration is almost always the #1 cause of any sort of "sick" feeling after a workout. Cramping, headache, fatigue, restlessness...all that stuff. People got to drink more!
  • cindytw
    edited January 2015

Right, so doctors AND the Mayo Clinic are wrong but YOU are right...IN what world? I am sure there are more sources if I found it worth the time.

• uconnwinsnc1

Right, so doctors AND the Mayo Clinic are wrong but YOU are right. Sure.

Your doctor isn't wrong, but you are interpreting this incorrectly. High blood pressure CAN cause headaches after a workout. So can a brain tumor. So can many other medical conditions.

For MOST people, dehydration is the issue. If she drinks and drinks and it is still happening then there might be another problem. Lets not jump too quickly to assume the OP has dangerously high BP. Lets first start with suggesting the OP drinks more.
  • Anyone else have this problem? I have found I can only go to the gym late at night so when my headache sets in I go to sleep and wake up fine. If I go to the gym during the day work out for an hour or so ... 40 cardio 20 weights within an hour my head starts pounding and I get horrible migranes/headaches. I'd love it if anyone has any suggestions or advice
    Thanks!

This could be for your lack of not meeting your macros, especially if you're working out at night. Make sure you meet your micros and I'm sure it will help you big time.
  • dbmata

Right, so doctors AND the Mayo Clinic are wrong but YOU are right...IN what world? I am sure there are more sources if I found it worth the time.

I'm sure if you found it worth your time you could give a full review of all the confounding variables and see that your conclusion was probably inaccurate, particularly in someone that doesn't have history of high blood pressure.

You came to a conclusion, and that's great. You came to an unlikely one though. :)
  • cindytw

Your doctor isn't wrong, but you are interpreting this incorrectly. High blood pressure CAN cause headaches after a workout. So can a brain tumor. So can many other medical conditions.

For MOST people, dehydration is the issue. If she drinks and drinks and it is still happening then there might be another problem. Lets not jump too quickly to assume the OP has dangerously high BP. Lets first start with suggesting the OP drinks more.

OK but I am not interpreting anything wrong. Yes there are a lot of factors. AND dehydration can cause your blood pressure to be elevated as well as whatever else it causes. I made one suggestion of what the problem could be (blood pressure) and suddenly I am an idiot and so is my doctor even though this very thing has happened to me and I am sure other people. Goodnight people this is insane!
  • dbmata

Dehydration, and then electrolytes. Basic endurance sport prep 101.

Dehydration happens fairly quickly, particularly in the untrained, and then, they'll rush to drink water, and throw electrolytes out of whack. For an untrained individual it can happen in as little as a half hour of effort.

This is the easiest place to start, lest that other poster writes up a script for Lopressor, because Mayonnaise.